Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amplifi Fx100 As Replacement For Hd300/400

GTLazer

Yes, Phil, they've dropped it into that big price gap, but it is very different from the 300/400. That was kind of my point.

For example, my dad loves my HD500 but he wouldn't buy one as he couldn't justify the cost. As he's probably not overly bothered by the difference in modelling quality going from HD to non-HD, he may well be quite impressed by the jamming facilities he'll get for his £200ish.

No. (I don't buy it)

I think it's 1:1

perhaps modest tweaks.. but no way is it "well beyond."

they can perhaps be a little more refined since the delivery/amplification is pre-determined...

meaning i can see things being optimized for the application.

According to one of the L6 staff on TGP, this is "heavily modified POD Farm" modeling that should be well beyond the X3/XT tones.....do you buy it?

• Upvote 1

Were you not on beta for this one? Which experts were? I'd like to hear their take on it.

No. (I don't buy it)

I think it's 1:1

perhaps modest tweaks.. but no way is it "well beyond."

they can perhaps be a little more refined since the delivery/amplification is pre-determined...

meaning i can see things being optimized for the application.

There were no experts on the beta that i'm aware of. There are experts that have them, I'll leave them to identify themselves.

Were you not on beta for this one? Which experts were? I'd like to hear their take on it.

This is mostly a jam along in your bedroom with tunes kind of thing and not a gigging amp.  And make absolutely sure your dad has some kind of Ipad Iphone since YOU CAN ONLY ACCESS A HUGE MAJORITY OF THE AMPS FEATURES WITH ONE. As far as I can tell, if you don't have one, you get only four sounds you can tweak some amp parameters with and reverb.  Can't change amps, can't change the effects or their order, can't change effects parameters, etc.   I am not kidding.  This is a huge drawback to me.  There is a USB on it so I'm not sure what a "regular computer" can do with it but I've heard nothing.

• Upvote 1

it is clear that Amplifi absolutely can not replace the HD technology at all..

how can someone who has used XT/X3 devices and switched to HD line, ever want to go back in the modeling quality level? ..

would make no sense

Well there is a "Please Bring Back the X3" thread.

It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Are HD tones better than X3 tones? If you measure it by DSP then answer would clearly be yes. Beyond than it's all subjective.

The HD modeling is far superior to my ears. 

Especially in responsiveness.

But I'm the type of guy that wants as many parameters to tweak as possible, many players just want to plug in and go, and I think that it is one of the aims of the FX100.

Don't know how many threads I've seem where users complained they just couldn't get a good tone and wish they hadn't sold their _____.

That's part of the problem in my eyes. The "instant gratification generation" IMHO has no appreciation of the marvels of digital modeling, they want a modeled tone to make their playing sound like a studio polished master.

On the other end of the spectrum are those that are technically challenged and try, but can't dial in. In that scenario I think that is where the simplicity of the FX100 may appeal to many.

Like I said for me, give me as many parameters as possible, don't know how many times I find a great unique tone while trying to match something else in my head.

I think they have embarked on a path to serve the entire range from beginner to pro.  They started with the Spiders for the beginner and developed up to  the HD line.  Then they put the whole dream rig together.  More new ground with the dream stage and the L series speakers.  Now they reinforced the beginner line with quality easy to operate gear designed to reach a new generation of players.  I expect they will have something new for us along the way to expand the HD line and take it to another level...

my point is: will Line6 go ahead with HD tecnology (or something even better) to compete with the other big pro brands which are continuing to develop their systems, or it will become a company dedicated exclusively to products for amateurs?

I hope they do both. Only tomorrow knows (and maybe Line6)

When I found out the AMPLIfi was baaed on the xt/X3 engine I personally felt marketing over hyped it, but at the same time thought it was a cool product.

Maybe they're killing two birds with one stone, releasing a product at a decent price point while doing a proof of concept for iOS integration with next gen gear.

I do not currently gig, but if I did I would not want to rely on a 3rd party device live for my gear, would be nice for editing off stage though.

And for the record, I do feel the HD modeling is far superior to xt/X3. Hope they do an HD plug-in and give the HD bean the same work flow capabilities as the xt/X3 series.

I hope they do both. Only tomorrow knows (and maybe Line6)

When I found out the AMPLIfi was baaed on the xt/X3 engine I personally felt marketing over hyped it, but at the same time thought it was a cool product.

Maybe they're killing two birds with one stone, releasing a product at a decent price point while doing a proof of concept for iOS integration with next gen gear.

I do not currently gig, but if I did I would not want to rely on a 3rd party device live for my gear, would be nice for editing off stage though.

And for the record, I do feel the HD modeling is far superior to xt/X3. Hope they do an HD plug-in and give the HD bean the same work flow capabilities as the xt/X3 series.

I'm also waiting for AmplifiHD....  :D

As an iPad user, I'm reassured that they're placing their bet on IOS, but with the Surface and Android devices gaining traction, they're shutting out a lot of potential customers who aren't Apple fans.

I'd rather create my own tone than simply download and play someone else's, but then I've never been one who wants to sound "just like" this guitarist or that.

Looks more like a toy than a serious gigging machine, but it's probably fun to mess around with.

Are HD tones better than X3 tones?

Yes. 100%, absolutely. Without doubt. All you need to do is listen, the depth and level of reality present in the HD modelling is far superior to what I got from my X3live.

Getting back to the original topic, it's tricky, because the HD300/400, while they offered the same higher quality / better sounding amp models, they restricted the functionality. Form vs Function, the timeless debate! I think subjective has it's limits, ultimately, someone with good ears and talented fingers will be able to make an X3 sound better than someone with lesser ability on an HD unit. I mean, Glenn DeLaune made that X3 sound as good as it could get. He did some very specific things to tame the inherent fizz, and despite any pre-HD modelling flaws, that was a great sounding unit.

For me, once I heard the Fender amp models on the HD500, that was it, the X3 was done, no going back. But that's just me! Where this new line is headed, is expanding the functional usage, into new realms of interface technology.

I disagree with those who say L6 is steering away from Pro customers. In fact, the majority of their products since 2010 have been very Pro oriented, at a substantially higher price point than the newer AMPLIFi gear.

-JTV59 $1,500

-StageScape mixer $2,000

-DT amps $999 and up

-StageSource L2t $850

-StageSource L3t $999

So, from a business model standpoint, it just makes me think they are trying to balance their offerings. And the iOS idea is not terrible - the function to control the StageScape mixer with an iPad was actually a great idea, and it does seem that this AMPLIFi gear borrows from that idea.

I mean, the greatest thing they have come up with recently is the L6Link, and I can see them running with that idea. Possibly these divergent lines of products and features will merge, offering you an AMPLIFi-HD, with WiFi, Bluetooth, L6Link, etc.

In conclusion, I will end with some lyrics of this song, 'Clint Eastwood' by Gorillaz:

"I ain't happy, I'm feeling glad,

I got sunshine in a bag

I'm useless but not for long

The future is coming on

My Future is Coming ON!"