Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Ventoux GREAT for bass.

Parapentep70

(Posted by me in another forum earlier)

The new Line6 Ventoux amplifier available with firmware 3.15 is GREAT for bass. Use a proper cab for bass (or IR or good EQ emulating a simple cab) and it is very easy to get different tones a beautiful crunch levels without using the expression pedal or the bass volume, just the fingers. Then the new "Mid" control, the HPF and the drive control (or your volume knob in the bass) work so well to modify how this model reacts to the dynamics in your fingers.

The only bass amplifier that I liked before for this "tubey" feel and sound was the SVT. What I use most time to get this sound besides SVT is not an amplifier model but a combination of bass-friendly distortions plus cabs (or IRs or EQs). Mainly Teemah!, Obsidian and sometimes Clawthorn Drive for controllable Fuzzey sound. There are a few guitar amplifiers that work well with bass (changing settings and without their default cabs), but with the time I spent I cannot beat the SVT and the 3 overdrives mentioned.

Ventoux is a solid candidate to get ALL these sounds (well, except the Clawthorn), all the sounds in the middle and many new good bass tones... with the twist of only 1 knob!. Simple as an old favorite real tube amplifier. It is NOT an emulation, Line6 describes it as a "creation" to get this tube sound without imitating anything already built. "Sag" control is magic for bass (I recommend low values or zero for "normal" situations).

I need to try live!

I can second that. After updating, I gave the Ventoux a try - as a cyclist I just couldn't skip that name ;) - and I was surprised. It turned out to be a sort of chameleon (which would be perhaps a more telling name - i think the model is not that hard to master as the Mount Ventoux is). That chameleon can morph into nearly everything. Tight or loose, cleanish or dirty, good options to shape the low end (from bloating to real tight) and very responsive.

Turning the sag down on guitar amps when used for bass applications is a good hint to get them closer to the punch you are used from bass amps.

Good tip. I just tried it on bass, and it is very useful! I normally use DI for bass recordings, but like to blend in some parallel "dirt". The Ventoux is nice because it works as a dedicated amp (as clean as needed), or as a parallel dirt channel with the drive and highs boosted.