Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Emulate Percussion Sounds (Kick and Snare)

VmusicV

I am looking for suggestions on fx blocks (or combinations) to emulate or mimic a kick and snare (separately)

so.... I play one note on my guitar; and what comes out of the Helix sounds uh, somewhat like Kick Drum

so....I play a note or perhaps a chord, and what comes out of the Helix sounds uh, something like a Snare Drum hit (with springs)

PLEASE, please, please....do not suggest getting other pedals/equipment or getting a drummer.  If you CAN'T or don't know how to make the Line 6 Helix produce this type of sound; just DON'T REPLY and waste everyone's time.

PLEASE, please, please.... do not ask why. Why did Jimi want fuzz on his guitar sound? Why did Wilbur want to fly? Why did Eddison spend years making a light bulb?

If you CAN'T or don't know how to make the Line 6 Helix produce this type of sound; just DON'T REPLY and waste everyone's time.

Again, ideas on how to produce a Kick Drum sound from a note played on a guitar, and how to produce a Snare Drum hit sound from a single note, or chord played on a guitar.

Thanks in Advance!!

• Haha 1

When you say "play" one note on your guitar, are you willing to modify your picking style, or do you expect the kick to be layered with a guitar note? Also, do you mean kick like an acoustic kick (difficult) or something more like a TR-808 hum drum? Finally, is this for live performance, or something you want to record? All these factors make a difference.

8 hours ago, VmusicV said:

the guy who can't understand what users post. 

Here ya go, a “secret technique” that I have used for years on acoustic guitars. I first found out how to do this way back in my youth in 1968, long before credit cards - we used a wooden matchstick for the same result.

Or you could simply watch this guy.

And , of course, there is always Jon Gomm.

Enjoy.

29 minutes ago, craiganderton said:

And for the kick, don't forget to drop the sound down in pitch.

Nah, you can get plenty of low end oomph without any pitch shifting (and you won't have to deal with all those pitch blocks' latencies). This is just a quick'n'dirty attempt with the patch being created out of nothing in a minute or so. The snare is a real sample.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hQgBgLfvUpp6xFzB8sPPjlVTwIwFt14f/view?usp=sharing

On 2/14/2022 at 1:06 PM, SaschaFranck said:

Nah, you can get plenty of low end oomph without any pitch shifting (and you won't have to deal with all those pitch blocks' latencies). This is just a quick'n'dirty attempt with the patch being created out of nothing in a minute or so. The snare is a real sample.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hQgBgLfvUpp6xFzB8sPPjlVTwIwFt14f/view?usp=sharing

@SaschaFranck This is AMAZING!!!     (the drum sounds on Google drive)

What Fx blocks did you use for the Kick, and what blocks for the Snare?

Were the kick and snare recorded separately? 

THANK YOU!!!

On 2/14/2022 at 1:09 AM, craiganderton said:

When you say "play" one note on your guitar, are you willing to modify your picking style, or do you expect the kick to be layered with a guitar note? Also, do you mean kick like an acoustic kick (difficult) or something more like a TR-808 hum drum? Finally, is this for live performance, or something you want to record? All these factors make a difference.

@craiganderton       Yes...... I can modify the picking style, thumb on the instrument or whatever.....  My intension here is to loop an actual guitar part, then overdub a kick and snare sound on top. 

26 minutes ago, VmusicV said:

What Fx blocks did you use for the Kick, and what blocks for the Snare?

As said, the snare is NOT a Helix thing (I wish it was), it's a plain sample. In my example, just the kick is coming from the Helix. Patch is attached (and I played it with a thumb slap on the completely left hand muted low E string). I think I have added yet some more low end EQ for the recording but didn't save the patch afterwards. Anyhow, this patch is close. And IMO it's really nothing special anyway. Make sure to not blow your speakers, though, so don't play normal things.

Kick.hlx

Back in the days I was experimenting with similar stuff as shown in the videos above.

This is from 1990:

temp.loukash.com/songs/Bita_kytara_1990.m4a (all rights reserved, please contact suisa.ch if you'd like to cover it :)

This is played entirely on my then new Yamaha MSG Custom (sold it two years later).

Since I've used an octaver for the bass line, I likely may have used it for the kick drum as well.

The snare was done with a similar technique as in the credit card video, but using a 15 cm thin aluminium ruler.

The cymbal was a triangle (the instrument), loosely fixed so that it would float on the strings.

Recorded on a Tascam Porta One. (Still around, still working! ;)

5 minutes ago, VmusicV said:

You would 'think' with all the advancements in fx, you should be able to this type of thing with just a guitar and fx  :::  but alas, no. 

Why not?

It's not that I would have been able to play all those drum parts at the same time, of course. That's what multi-tracking is all about, even with such a primitive recording device like the Porta One was.

But it's not difficult to recreate those sounds with Helix today while using the same perfomance techniques as I did 30 years ago. Then it's all a matter of EQ, compression, gating, a bunch of modulation effects, reverbs and the like.

Be creative! Experiment! :)