Jump to content

Free Update to "The Big Book of Helix Tips and Tricks" Now Available


craiganderton
 Share

Recommended Posts

If you bought The Big Book of Helix Tips and Tricks, a free update to version 1.1 is now available from your Sweetwater account. Simply download the book again, and you'll have the latest version. The update includes:

 

• 45 more pages than version 1.0 (368 total)
• Coverage of all the new effects blocks in Helix update 3.15: Ampeg Opto Comp, Ampeg Liquifier, Heliosphere, ADT, Crisscross, Tesselator, Ratchet, Dynamic Plate, Dynamic Room, Shimmer Reverb
• Analysis of the new Ventoux amp tone controls
• Explanations of amp Hum, Ripple, and Sag parameters
• Expanded Cabinet Techniques chapter, with mic descriptions and analysis
• Expanded Audio Interfacing chapter, with more HX Stomp info
• Better browsing in PDF reader Navigation view (improved hierarchical expand/collapse)
• Additional page with Helix resources

 

I hope you find the info useful!

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, craiganderton said:

If you bought The Big Book of Helix Tips and Tricks, a free update to version 1.1 is now available from your Sweetwater account. Simply download the book again, and you'll have the latest version. The update includes:

 

• 45 more pages than version 1.0 (368 total)
• Coverage of all the new effects blocks in Helix update 3.15: Ampeg Opto Comp, Ampeg Liquifier, Heliosphere, ADT, Crisscross, Tesselator, Ratchet, Dynamic Plate, Dynamic Room, Shimmer Reverb
• Analysis of the new Ventoux amp tone controls
• Explanations of amp Hum, Ripple, and Sag parameters
• Expanded Cabinet Techniques chapter, with mic descriptions and analysis
• Expanded Audio Interfacing chapter, with more HX Stomp info
• Better browsing in PDF reader Navigation view (improved hierarchical expand/collapse)
• Additional page with Helix resources

 

I hope you find the info useful!

 

 

Well, I tried but my download link has expired. It says: 

 

Download Expired!

This download code has expired. Please reach out to Sweetwater Tech Support for assistance with your download.

 

I'm from the Netherlands. Did emailed them but no response so far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't figure out how to download the book again. The old link that I have says the download has expired. I can't see anything else in my account or on the website that even mentions the update, let alone how to do it. It is listed as version 1.1 on Sweetwater's website. I have contacted Sweetwater and am waiting for a reply. I talked to a real person so he gave my problem to "them that know" and I will get an email back telling how to do it, hopefully. Anyone else know how to do this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, brue58ski said:

I can't figure out how to download the book again. The old link that I have says the download has expired. I can't see anything else in my account or on the website that even mentions the update, let alone how to do it. It is listed as version 1.1 on Sweetwater's website. I have contacted Sweetwater and am waiting for a reply. I talked to a real person so he gave my problem to "them that know" and I will get an email back telling how to do it, hopefully. Anyone else know how to do this?

Sorry to hear you're having trouble! The new book file was swapped out earlier today, so it's probably just a glitch in the system. Thanks for letting Sweetwater know so they can fix it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

The problem is there is nothing on the Sweetwater site that points a person to how to download an update, not even from the invoice or purchase record.  It would be nice to know how we're supposed to update it.

 

I think you're just supposed to download it again, the way you did when you bought the book. I'll ping Sweetwater and see what's up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, shanecgriffo said:

The only option i can see is to purchase it again, which i’m pretty sure wasn’t the idea of receiving updates ;)

 

DEFINITELY not!! I've contacted Sweetwater to see what's up, I should have an answer Wednesday. They're kind of new to publishing :), especially this software-based model. Hang in there, they'll make it right.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Craig, I applaud you for getting this update out so quickly. Sweetwater however a chorus of boos is due you. Your big company that pesters me incessantly with email  ads knew that this e-book would have updates but you're as yet not equipped to accommodate the users seeking the updates they are entitled to. Boo, hiss Sweetwater.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just got the updated files....I had to contact my Sweetwater CSR because as it was said above, it took me to an expired link, but they jumped on it pretty quick and had it resolved in about 30 min. They said that they are relatively new to the digital e-book format and are still trying to work out a few kinks...

Thanks Craig for this very comprehensive and ever growing resource!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, netproclaim said:

I just got the updated files....I had to contact my Sweetwater CSR because as it was said above, it took me to an expired link, but they jumped on it pretty quick and had it resolved in about 30 min. They said that they are relatively new to the digital e-book format and are still trying to work out a few kinks...

Thanks Craig for this very comprehensive and ever growing resource!

Same here. Called the Customer service number, waited about 15 minutes to have the call answered, then they sent me an email with an updated download link. Worked perfectly. They will get it sorted out eventually but in the meantime this is your best option I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, malduroque said:

Your big company that pesters me incessantly with email  ads knew that this e-book would have updates but you're as yet not equipped to accommodate the users seeking the updates they are entitled to. 

It's a simple matter to cut down or eliminate the email pestering. There's a link at the bottom of every pester.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let's please cut Sweetwater some slack. Yeah, they are marketing driven so as pushy as any company whent it comes to sales calls and e-mails, but their selection is great, the reviews are handy and not filtered, prices are decent, and their support system is top-notch. As jester700 sez, turn off their marketing e-mails if you like.

 

@craiganderton, the Helix community is lucky to have you as a resource. Many years ago—when I was first getting into DAWs (an Amiga!), electronic keyboards (a Casio CZ-101!), and MIDI (SR16!) — I heard you speak at a convention in San Diego. It was the start of exciting times in the music industry. What a journey....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, scotterp said:

Looks like they fixed it. I went to my original email (dated Jan 23rd) and clicked the link. Took me to Sweetwater where I could click the Download and it downloaded Version 1.1.

 

Thank you @craiganderton!

 

I just tried and my old link still says download expired. My email with the link is from December 28th

 

 

download expired.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, soundog said:

Let's please cut Sweetwater some slack. Yeah, they are marketing driven so as pushy as any company whent it comes to sales calls and e-mails, but their selection is great, the reviews are handy and not filtered, prices are decent, and their support system is top-notch. As jester700 sez, turn off their marketing e-mails if you like.

 

@craiganderton, the Helix community is lucky to have you as a resource. Many years ago—when I was first getting into DAWs (an Amiga!), electronic keyboards (a Casio CZ-101!), and MIDI (SR16!) — I heard you speak at a convention in San Diego. It was the start of exciting times in the music industry. What a journey....

 

I remember Craig from his articles in Guitar Player Magazine. I have his Electronic Projects For Musicians book from when it first came out 40 years ago. PAIA still sells kits for some of the projects in the book!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

 

I just tried and my old link still says download expired. My email with the link is from December 28th

 

 

download expired.jpg

 

Must be a 30 day limit or something - although not mentioned in that email. My original procrastination on buying the book in the first place actually paid off in this situation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, scotterp said:

 

Must be a 30 day limit or something - although not mentioned in that email. My original procrastination on buying the book in the first place actually paid off in this situation. 

You mean you're better off now for not having had the book sooner? Maybe you should have waited longer. There's probably another update coming sometime - and heaven forbid we may have to wait 24 hrs again before getting it. ;-)

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, Sweetwater has put instructions on the book's landing page (they also added it for the Studio One book of tips and tricks, which had a recent update). So for the vast majority, all should be well but if for any reason something slipped through the cracks, tech support will take care of you.

 

I appreciate Sweetwater's speed in jumping on this. Yes, they are new to publishing, especially publishing that's treated like software. And admittedly, I'm not sure they were expecting to get an update so soon - the book was just released in December. Fortunately they're totally supportive of free "point" updates" concept, so the process should go smoothly from here on out.

 

Thank you for your support and your patience!! I'm not sure what the deal is with time limits and updates, I'll ask and come back with an answer.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, scotterp said:

My original procrastination on buying the book in the first place actually paid off in this situation. 

 

I'm glad you brought this up. The whole reason I wanted to do updates is so that buyers wouldn't have to be concerned about getting out-of-date information. So, there's no need to wait. If you bought the book a week before the update, well, you have a week of using the book and then you get the update.

 

There were situations with the PreSonus books that used the same publishing model where the changes were so extensive the book needed a new edition - essentially, a re-write. Even then, existing owners could get it at a reduced price.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2022-02-16_15-48-36.jpg.20119c1bbe6f8311b6a116f1c8d1a76f.jpg

Here's what I found on the page Craig linked above (book's landing page).

I still get the Download Expired! This download code has expired. Please reach out to Sweetwater Tech Support for assistance with your download message when using the original activation code email.

I emailed my " Sales Engineer " about our problem and no answer yet.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hey_Joe said:

I emailed my " Sales Engineer " about our problem and no answer yet.

 

Don't worry, you'll get an answer. Sorry for the delay. FWIW I heard that they're working on something that will make swapping out updates easier in their backend...theoretically, I'll be able to fix a typo, send them an update, and have it show up :)  Not, of course, that there are any typoze in my books...

 

Well except for the ones that a participant in this forum identified for me so I could fix them, which was pretty cool.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a quick note to say that I'd already emailed back to the original 'activation' email to ask how to get the new version. I received a holding reply immediately and a new link about 3.5 hours later - since I'm in the UK, it was here when I woke up this morning, more than acceptable! The original download link  didn't work but I suspect that's because I'd already gone down a different route. 

 

So if the link on the site doesn't work, emailing Sweetwater does. 

 

Thanks Craig, looking forward to getting stuck in!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well apparently not all the support people at Sweetwater are on the same page.  I left a phone message for my assigned Sweetwater representative explaining the situations and that i needed a new activation code...and...he just sent me the exact same original code....ugh....

I guess I'll have to wait a few hours in the phone queue for a support rep.  Not a good experience for me....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

Well apparently not all the support people at Sweetwater are on the same page.  I left a phone message for my assigned Sweetwater representative explaining the situations and that i needed a new activation code...and...he just sent me the exact same original code....ugh....

I guess I'll have to wait a few hours in the phone queue for a support rep.  Not a good experience for me....

 

Maybe send an email to your rep with a link to this thread while you're on the phone? I think Sweetwater has 500 or 600 salespeople, so it might take a while for awareness of this issue to propagate through the organization.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's some good news. Sweetwater had to use a particular upload tool to shove the instructions toward the top, and "Limited Time offer" was part of the tool. Marketing is checking whether that phrase can be removed, to avoid confusion.

 

Bottom line - there is NO time limit. If you miss finding out when there's an update, download it when you find out about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had same issue, couldn't download. Emailed Sweetwater, and thought they hadn't responded...but they HAD, it was in my Spam folder ! Worth checking there.

Allsorted now, many thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, craiganderton said:

 

Don't worry...

Wasn't worried - they always take good care of me. Was just chiming in to offer my experience.

Sweetwater PC Tech Support responded within 24 hours. Got a new link with this message:

Here’s a refreshed download link for you, let me know if this one works for you. You only get 10 downloads of this link before it expires again, so make sure to save the PDF locally on your computer’s hard drive, and only re-download from the website for updates or just in case you lose the local copy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...