Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Free Update to "The Big Book of Helix Tips and Tricks" Now Available

craiganderton

2 hours ago, craiganderton said:

First things first...if you emailed them (usually the quickest solution), check your spam folder. If that doesn't work, try calling 800-222-4700 and explain that your sales engineer hasn't resolved the problem yet, so is there some way this can be escalated.

Thanks for all the time you spend for us. That will be better to have a global solution . It's very complicated for those like me, who don't speak english fluently.

In case anyone is wondering, the updated book download seems to be working fine now at Sweetwater. I used the email link provided with my initial purchase and it sent me to the new V1.1 version location.

BTW, The additional content is great.

Thanks Craig.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2022 at 1:16 PM, MusicLaw said:

Great to see this update released so soon. Any there any new files or Preset examples included with the 1.1 release? 

Sorry I missed seeing this post. There are no new files or presets in the 1.1 version, but I expect there will be in 1.2 (although that won't happen for at least a few months).

• 3 months later...
On 2/15/2022 at 6:46 PM, craiganderton said:

If you bought The Big Book of Helix Tips and Tricks, a free update to version 1.1 is now available from your Sweetwater account. Simply download the book again, and you'll have the latest version. The update includes:

• 45 more pages than version 1.0 (368 total)
• Coverage of all the new effects blocks in Helix update 3.15: Ampeg Opto Comp, Ampeg Liquifier, Heliosphere, ADT, Crisscross, Tesselator, Ratchet, Dynamic Plate, Dynamic Room, Shimmer Reverb
• Analysis of the new Ventoux amp tone controls
• Explanations of amp Hum, Ripple, and Sag parameters
• Expanded Cabinet Techniques chapter, with mic descriptions and analysis
• Expanded Audio Interfacing chapter, with more HX Stomp info
• Better browsing in PDF reader Navigation view (improved hierarchical expand/collapse)
• Additional page with Helix resources

Also saw a helpful article  https://freebooksummary.com/category/echo on a resource with free summary samples of books for students

I hope you find the info useful!

will there be more updates? The next version?

On 6/16/2022 at 9:53 AM, StevenToller said:

will there be more updates? The next version?

Yes. Craig has said he intends to update it after every firmware update. That's one reason he has offered it as a download, so you can get the updated versions for free. It's pretty cool.

On 6/16/2022 at 5:09 PM, brue58ski said:

Yes. Craig has said he intends to update it after every firmware update. That's one reason he has offered it as a download, so you can get the updated versions for free.

That is true. However, I'm expecting ther will be another eBook update before the next "official" Helix update (depending on how soon that happens). I want to include information about the Looper and also get more into the MIDI control aspects. Neither are covered in the current edition, which focuses on effects, applications, and amp parameters.

If you have any suggestions for what you'd like to see in future editions, please contact me at the dedicated email given in the book. Quite a bit of the material included in version 1.1 was based on reader feedback (like showing the frequency response curves for the various mics). One reader from France even gave me a tip on how to make topics easier to find in the PDF contents sidebar, which was a great suggestion. It really does make a difference when you want to find a topic fast. 

Of course I can't guarantee I'll implement all requests, but I can guarantee they will be read, and carefully considered. Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I have v1.1, but I just went to the Sweetwater website and see v1.3 is available. However, as users experiences last year, I don't see a link to update my already-purchased version; I only see a way to re-purchase (which, of course, I don't want to do). Sadly, I can't find the email from my original purchase, but it does appear in my order history.

Any advice, anyone?

EDIT: I found a link in the description column of the Sweetwater online invoice. Clicking that brought me to a download page where I was able to download v1.3. I'm leaving this here in case anyone else runs into the same issue as me. :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2023 at 1:29 AM, carlosvladi said:

...and i get "This download code has expired. Please reach out to Sweetwater Tech Support for assistance with your download." I´ve sent a mail and waiting... (I´m from Spain and i don´t think about call them)

It sounds like you bought an early copy before they had the updating procedure totally nailed down. This has happened to some other people, and they'll take care of you. 

I submitted the v1.4 PDF and free presets/files last Friday. They usually get a new version up in a week or less, so they may wait to reply until the latest version is live so you don't have to download v1.3 and then download v1.4 a couple days later.

On 12/18/2023 at 11:38 AM, craiganderton said:

<Snip>

I submitted the v1.4 PDF and free presets/files last Friday. They usually get a new version up in a week or less... <Snip>

Great to know that v1.4's already to Sweetwater!

I just checked, and the download/upgrade link is still resolving to v1.3.

Looking forward to v1.4 in the next few days....

Happy Holidays!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2015 at 8:17 AM, pob41 said:

This is probably a dumb question, I assume you can't add a block somewhere in the the chain and shuffle everything down a slot automatically? I do this every time a build a patch where I want to add something at the beginning and have to move everthing along one, though I would of learned to leave spaces by now!

Thanks.

On 12/19/2023 at 11:12 PM, stapani said:

Thanks, Craig!

Thanks Craig.  Couple of things... questions and a comment.

I (am trying to learn to) play bass. MOSTLY interested in bass-specific or bass-centric presets. Manually sorted a bunch last version and have a bunch saved as favorites. With a bunch of new bass presets, it begs the question "Is there a way to sort or favorite them quickly / easily to get them all to the top?" (or saved as presets all in one place, etc.).  Have a bunch of after-market presets which are labeled as B_Bass<blah blah blah>.  Looks like alpha-sorting would get most of them at or near the top. I know how to label them as favorites manually on the Helix floor, but looking to do this in HX Edit and not sure how.

As for the update procedure... I saw lots of stuff.  Saved instructions as a document. Manually backed up device. Did update, restored backup (first time ever after blinking tap light annoyed me once again!)  Looks like it got me what I wanted (settings, presets, favorites, etc., but left all the new stuff. (Even installed the Updater).  All good!

But it looks like ALL I NEEDED TO DO was connect the computer to Helix and launch HX Edit.  It prompts to update HX Edit. Then prompts for backup. Then prompts for update.  It WOULD HAVE BEEN DEAD EASY if someone just told me to "just plug it in!"  EVERYTHING ELSE WAS UNNECESSARY!  EZ PZ!

Just saying!

On 12/30/2023 at 2:37 AM, mlwinnig said:

it begs the question "Is there a way to sort or favorite them quickly / easily to get them all to the top?" (or saved as presets all in one place, etc.). 

Have a bunch of after-market presets which are labeled as B_Bass<blah blah blah>.  Looks like alpha-sorting would get most of them at or near the top. I know how to label them as favorites manually on the Helix floor, but looking to do this in HX Edit and not sure how.

As for the update procedure... I saw lots of stuff.  Saved instructions as a document. Manually backed up device. Did update, restored backup (first time ever after blinking tap light annoyed me once again!)  Looks like it got me what I wanted (settings, presets, favorites, etc., but left all the new stuff. (Even installed the Updater).  All good!

But it looks like ALL I NEEDED TO DO was connect the computer to Helix and launch HX Edit.  It prompts to update HX Edit. Then prompts for backup. Then prompts for update.  It WOULD HAVE BEEN DEAD EASY if someone just told me to "just plug it in!"  EVERYTHING ELSE WAS UNNECESSARY!  EZ PZ!

Just saying!

Hi,

A couple of things.

“Favorites” - The information regarding naming, arranging and deleting presets from the “Favourites” folder is covered in the Helix 3.0 Owner’s Manual - Rev F - page 18

For the same - while using HX Edit, click on the “Question Mark” icon in the lower left of the GUI window, and select “Pilot’s Guide”, which should open a pdf containing all you need to know about HX Edit - Favorites panel on page 20.

Regarding the firmware update procedure - this is also documented in the HX Edit Pilot’s Guide > page 83 > Update & Additional Resources. Once again, this info is on page 5 of the Helix Owner’s Manual.

Looks like all you needed to do was open the relevant documentation for your hardware, including control of the TAP Tempo LED flashing On/Off option in the Global settings.

Just saying!

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a3f041b611d61cac763b/application/pdf/Helix 3.0 Owner's Manual - English .pdf

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a4167cd654eae06274c7/application/pdf/HX Edit Pilots Guide 3.70 - English .pdf

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 1