Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Catalyst Amps with Helix pedigree!

datacommando

1 hour ago, datacommando said:

This must be the hardware that has been hinted at for a while.

Nice amp! This is however quite a different beast from the PowerCab so I hope it doesn't force the PC(+) further into the apparent abandonware category. Don't see any reason why the Catalyst and the PowerCab can't coexist in Line6's lineup. Maybe Line6 will allay our PC(+) concerns with an update. Don't want to rain on this new amp's parade, however. It is appealing.

Not even sure that my biggest gripe with the Powercab, the fact that it has such a narrow optimal input level range, can even be remedied via firmware/software. Still love my PC+, just dislike dealing with the somewhat fiddly leveling efforts required from the device outputting signal to it. Often necessitating changing the gain structure in the preset. There are still a couple of outstanding bugs that need fixing from what I have read. An update to the manual would also be welcome, although @amsdenj and others have done a fine job of documenting what the various settings do and when they should be employed. IMHO the manual should be updated to be more informative. Anyway, I hope the PC continues to get a little love, at least for a bit longer. I really enjoy using mine.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

Anyway, I hope the PC continues to get a little love, at least for a bit longer. I really enjoy using mine.

I think this is aimed more towards the Katana, and Fender Mustang fans of trouser flapping guitar cabs.

Johnathan Cordy give it a road test here:

A few days back I saw the video of Ben Adrian doing demos of these amp models, and I was thinking they might getting ready be part of the next v.3.20 firmware. Now I’m not so sure, as these amps can be used in 4CM with existing HX family products.

Just now, datacommando said:

I think this is aimed more towards the Katana, and Fender Mustang fans of trouser flapping guitar cabs...

Agree, should be a somewhat different target audience with perhaps some small measure of overlap. The continuing effort to offer a range of amplification options for pairing with a modeler.

• Like 1

I'm quite tempted by the 60W 1x12 at $300. Quick plug and play without much fussing around. Nice usable tones. Plug into the DAW for recording. Footswitch + MIDI. Software editing. I want it. My birthday is 3/15 if anyone wants to get it for me.

BTW, watch the Jonathan Cordy video that @datacommando posted at 17:30 for a  hilarious discussion about Fletcher Munson.

• Haha 1

I see these new amps have USB 4 in/out. But the manual seems a little short regarding DAW recording, and what can be sent/received via USB. I especially would like to know if you can record your dry guitar signal in addition to a stereo "wet" amp signal? And how is re-amping and monitoring done?

22 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

...so I hope it doesn't force the PC(+) further into the apparent abandonware category...Maybe Line6 will allay our PC(+) concerns with an update...

Not even sure that my biggest gripe with the Powercab, the fact that it has such a narrow optimal input level range, can even be remedied via firmware/software. Still love my PC+, just dislike dealing with the somewhat fiddly leveling efforts required from the device outputting signal to it. Often necessitating changing the gain structure in the preset. There are still a couple of outstanding bugs that need fixing from what I have read. An update to the manual would also be welcome, although @amsdenj and others have done a fine job of documenting what the various settings do and when they should be employed. IMHO the manual should be updated to be more informative. Anyway, I hope the PC continues to get a little love, at least for a bit longer. I really enjoy using mine.

+1

I'm spoiled with Pod and Helix updates thru the years. I expected at least an upgrade of the existing PC+ speakers and possibly some new ones and some other refinement tweaks.

It wasn't the price of a low budget SpiderIV and even they got at least one update as I recall.

Yeah -  I know, buy it for what it is today not tomorrow...just sayin'.

I think I read here or in TGP something like "new products make it possible to develop new updates", and that somehow the HX stomp XL "paid" for the poly update or something like that.

Therefore, I wonder what these catalyst amps will pay for! XD

I have a Powercab 112+ and a 212. I use one or the other on every gig, whether I'm using Helix and/or Quad Cortex. I love the footprint, flexibility, ease of use, and broad capabilities as a FRFR or powered guitar cabinet. It's still a perfect solution for my needs. Catalyst seems like a reasonable HX update to the Spider line. That's fine and probably a good solution for a lot of people. Helix + Powercab is a much more capable solution, but it costs more too. It's nice to have options.

Similar situation here. I use a StageSource L2T for my PA, but when home I use it as a speaker for my HX Stomp. It sounds great, so I don't think I'll be needing a Catalyst (or similar) for now. If I was starting out and needed a nice practice or stage amp (and didn't need the huge range of effects and amps in Helix), I think the Catalyst would be a great choice. I like the selection of tones and the simplicity. You'd get a trimmed down Helix modeler with an amp and cabinet for an affordable price....