Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects Snap Reselect Snpsht Edits ?

gtrgriff3

On my HX Effects I have Snap Reselect to "Reload", and Snpsht Edits set to "Recall."

I figured that way, if I go to Snapshot 1, turn on the phaser, for example, then go to snapshot 2, and then come back to snapshot 1, it would still have the Phaser on, which it does..

But then, I expect to tap snapshot 1 again, and have the phaser go off, since that is the stored state of the preset. However, when I step on the footswitch to reload snapshot 1, nothing changes. 

Clearly I'm missing something... can anyone tell me how to do what I'm looking for? I want to step on the snapshot button and have it reload the most recently saved state, not the state I last left it in, that doesn't make any sense to me.

Thanks

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gtrgriff3 said:

On my HX Effects I have Snap Reselect to "Reload", and Snpsht Edits set to "Recall."

I figured that way, if I go to Snapshot 1, turn on the phaser, for example, then go to snapshot 2, and then come back to snapshot 1, it would still have the Phaser on, which it does..

But then, I expect to tap snapshot 1 again, and have the phaser go off, since that is the stored state of the preset. However, when I step on the footswitch to reload snapshot 1, nothing changes. 

Clearly I'm missing something... can anyone tell me how to do what I'm looking for? I want to step on the snapshot button and have it reload the most recently saved state, not the state I last left it in, that doesn't make any sense to me.

Thanks

I get the same behavior and I agree with your assumption that when set to 'Reload', at least according to the manual, the snapshot should be recalled in its last saved/stored state, not its current state (see bolded notes description of the 'Reload behavior below from both the 2.80 update notes as well as the Helix 3.0 Rev. F manual). These were the most recent mentions of the Reload behavior I could locate. 

This may not be a bug per se and might even be operating as intended but it certainly does not jibe with the documentation. I would open a ticket with Line 6 support.

Perhaps for the maximum degree of switching flexibility they need to add another option to the 'Snapshot Reselect' parameter that allows 'Reload' to either reload the last stored state or the current state, e.g. two options - "Reload Saved" or "Reload Current". By default now, it appears that the 'Reload' setting follows the behavior dictated by the Recall/Discard setting, despite the fact that this is not what is described in the manual.

Btw, after rereading the rest of my post above it occurs to me that if Line 6 is differentiating between "saved" and "stored", with "stored" referring to a change that has NOT been saved, then the behavior you are seeing would actually be in keeping with the documentation. I think for many/most of us, however, the terms saved and stored tend to be assumed to be synonymous, despite the fact that they don't have to be. This is a fair assumption as, just for grins, I searched through the manual for occurrences of the word "stored" and Line 6 does use it synonymously with "saved".

2.80 Firmware notes

Currently, pressing the currently active Snapshot switch will reload the stored state of that snapshot. With 2.80, you can now choose to instead toggle between it and the previously selected snapshot. For example, if you’re on Snapshot 2 and switch to Snapshot 8, pressing the Snapshot 8 footswitch will seamlessly toggle between Snapshot 8 and Snapshot 2.

From the Global Settings > Preferences menu, turn Snapshot Reselect to choose “Reload” or “Toggle Prev.” “Reload” remains the default.

Snapshot Reselect (Helix 3.0 Rev. F manual)

Determines the behavior when pressing a Snapshot mode footswitch again after loading its assigned snapshot. “Reload” (the default) simply reloads the stored state of the footswitch’s assigned snapshot again. “Toggle Previous” toggles between loading the previously selected snapshot and the footswitch’s assigned snapshot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks @HonestOpinion for at least confirming that mine is not unique.

Does it work like I want? Maybe not necessarily, but at least now I can set it up to work as best as it can for the circumstance. Now I know I'll turn off Snapshot Edits so that changes are not maintained between snapshots, I think that's best for me.

56 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

After switching snapshots as OP describes?

Yes, I am getting proper snapshot behavior in that it is following the Recall/Discard settings' rules. Upon further testing I did notice I needed to reload the preset to get proper behavior after flipping from 'Recall'' back to 'Discard'. Once the preset is reloaded, that preset, and any other preset you switch to, display the proper 'Discard' behavior. So that would appear to be a legitimate bug or at the least could only very charitably be described as an undesirable "feature" and unwelcome behavior. Perhaps not that many people flip back and forth between these settings regularly, but anyone that does might have a very confusing situation on their hands. The preset is essentially stuck in the 'Recall' state until you reload the preset. Moving in the other direction, 'Discard' to 'Recall', doesn't require reloading the preset and seems to display proper behavior. Are you seeing the same thing?

With this additional quirk(preset requiring reload to restore proper 'Discard' behavior when moving from 'Recall' to 'Discard'), added to the fact that the documentation is incorrectly describing 'Snapshot Reselect' behavior, I think a ticket should be opened up on this, as I indicated in my first post in this topic. Wondering if others are seeing the same behavior I am? 

1 hour ago, HonestOpinion said:

With this additional quirk(preset requiring reload to restore proper 'Discard' behavior when moving from 'Recall' to 'Discard'), added to the fact that the documentation is incorrectly describing 'Snapshot Reselect' behavior, I think a ticket should be opened up on this, as I indicated in my first post in this topic. Wondering if others are seeing the same behavior I am? 

For me, this week's brain twister is Powercab's HF Driver. When is it ON? When is it OFF? When is it SUPPOSED to be in which state?

Is it possible to find anyone at L6 who knows the answers to these life or death questions?

IF...THEN...ELSE...

AARGH!

Not enough synapses available for this.

Maybe I'll just sell it all and take up bongos....

:-)

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, rd2rk said:

For me, this week's brain twister is Powercab's HF Driver. When is it ON? When is it OFF? When is it SUPPOSED to be in which state?

Is it possible to find anyone at L6 who knows the answers to these life or death questions?

IF...THEN...ELSE...

AARGH!

Not enough synapses available for this.

Maybe I'll just sell it all and take up bongos....

:-)

Good luck with this worthy endeavor. I have seen at least one or two of your other posts referencing it. Oh, to have an HF Driver LED indicator light on the PC. And to anyone who might feel inclined to say, just use your ears. I have found it of little value to press my ear up against an LED. Or, just queue up the bongos, maybe get a beret.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

Good luck with this worthy endeavor. I have seen at least one or two of your other posts referencing it. Oh, to have an HF Driver LED indicator light on the PC. And to anyone who might feel inclined to say, just use your ears. I have found it of little value to press my ear up against an LED. Or, just queue up the bongos, maybe get a beret.

There's a tiny little display on the PC+ Control Panel that supposedly displays all the settings, including the status of the HF Trim.

It ALWAYS says that it's ON unless you manually turn it OFF by turning the endless encoder 100 times.

Then SOMETIMES when it's supposed to be OFF you can hear that it's not, but SOMETIMES it's OFF when it's supposed to be.

Random misbehavior is the hardest to troubleshoot.

Possible breakthrough - I may have annoyed L6 enough that someone is looking into this over on TGP.

Hopefully he won't be fired for asking questions.

Fingers (and eyes) crossed!

1 hour ago, rd2rk said:

There's a tiny little display on the PC+ Control Panel that supposedly displays all the settings, including the status of the HF Trim.

It ALWAYS says that it's ON unless you manually turn it OFF by turning the endless encoder 100 times.

Then SOMETIMES when it's supposed to be OFF you can hear that it's not, but SOMETIMES it's OFF when it's supposed to be.

Random misbehavior is the hardest to troubleshoot.

Possible breakthrough - I may have annoyed L6 enough that someone is looking into this over on TGP.

Hopefully he won't be fired for asking questions.

Fingers (and eyes) crossed!

Heh, there's a display on the PowerCab+? Wouldn't know since I don't hover over my amp at the correct angle, behind the amp, for tilt-back viewing. Just kidding but I do love a front mounted display. Hard to implement on something that is supposed to look and be constructed like a guitar cab though. Would be nice to see the HF Driver's status, along perhaps with other details of the PC+'s selected preset, displayed somewhere on the Helix screen. Leverage that L6 Link connection.

Update: It occurs to me you don't even need the L6 connection to carry back information as the Helix is dictating the preset's PC+ settings anyway. Guess you can already see the setting on the second parameter page of your Output block but that is not really a practical quickview solution.

51 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

Heh, there's a display on the PowerCab+? Wouldn't know since I don't hover over my amp at the correct angle, behind the amp, for tilt-back viewing. Just kidding but I do love a front mounted display. Hard to implement on something that is supposed to look and be constructed like a guitar cab though. Would be nice to see the HF Driver's status, along perhaps with other details of the PC+'s selected preset, displayed somewhere on the Helix screen. Leverage that L6 Link connection.

Update: It occurs to me you don't even need the L6 connection to carry back information as the Helix is dictating the preset's PC+ settings anyway. Guess you can already see the setting on the second parameter page of your Output block but that is not really a practical quickview solution.

Without the L6 Link connection Helix doesn't control the PC+ unless you set up MIDI commands. That's what you'd need to do if using HXS. Also, the Powercab page in HX Edit doesn't show the PC+ Global Settings page, which is where the HF Trim is located. You have to use the Powercab Edit program, which is REALLY a hot mess, don't EVEN get me started!

I have an ongoing temptation to get a Katana Artist MkII primarily because of the front facing controls. I had a Katana 100 for a while, it was ALMOST good, but very brittle sounding. I blamed it on the totally open back cab and a not so great speaker. That and the top mounted controls are all fixed on the Artist. Now L6 comes out with Catalyst, which has all the things I didn't like about the Katana 100, and doesn't sound all that much better than the Katana Artist vids I've seen. A better editor but less flexible FX. What're ya gonna do?

Brings to mind the flip side of one of the "Alvin and the Chipmunks" 45's, a simple jazz tune called "Hey, that's almost good!" Should be the L6 amp division's theme song!