Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DNB Bass Tone?

ChaserHUN

Hey!

I'm a metal bassist, but they guys in tha band want a DNB part in on of our tracks. I really don't like DNB but said ok, as long as we play it on out instruments and it's not a backing track why not.

So how would you go about it? What effects would you use? I have never played DNB on tried dialing in a tone fore it.

I don’t know what/who DNB is, but based on the lack of response here you might look at alternatives. For instance, if they are a band you can try to find out what analog gear they use and start with the closest Helix models you can find to match that gear.

On 2/21/2022 at 11:47 AM, bassbene said:

Do you have any example for the sound you are aiming for? 

^^^ this ^^^ would really help.... 

I'm not into the style so I can't really give specifics... I just have a decent understanding of what I am hearing when I do hear a sample.

• If using a guitar... lower it (digitally) an octave to get it into bass territory
  • Visit the Synth section of the Helix... especially the newly added "legacy" synths from 3.15
    • Locate something with a sawtooth wave and blend it in... this gives a little "grit" to the sound
    • Find something with a sine wave and blend it in an octave lower.... this adds sub frequencies. Use sparingly.
  • Now add some compression, EQ and Effects to taste. 

• Like 1

Maybe not the specifics you were looking for on the Helix but there are a lot of good tips on how to get the DNB sound at the site below, certainly some/much of which can be translated to the Helix. Starts at the section entitled "Step 2: Bass".  Might be worth considering combining whatever sound you derive from your Helix with some additional processing from a DAW with some plugins, or a guitar/bass synth, played live. A more complex setup with some potential latency but it might get you closer to your intended sound. Still avoiding using a backing track that way. If you can pull it off with just the Helix, I hope you upload the preset.

How To Make Drum & Bass: The Complete Guide - EDMProd

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChaserHUN said:

We already play in drop A#, so going any deeper than that seems over kill.

A guitar is exactly 1 octave higher than a bass.

If you are using a guitar to mimic bass parts, it should be dropped an octave, or at least have a low octave added. If you are using a BASS.... it's already there. 

1 hour ago, ChaserHUN said:

I want to do it 100% in Helix, because I need to be able to do it live too.

My suggestions already posted in this thread never leave the Helix. 

Maybe if you can provide a youtube example of "a sound" you are actually looking for... we can get more specific in helping you. 

I am using a bass. Sorry I forgot to put in the link before

Maybe something like this:

But today we jammed that part. I used the synth harmony effect. wich gave some prodigy vibes, that I diged, but it's too farty sounding on the low A#, even if I set it to unison on the intervals.

Maybe something sounding like this:

wich gave some prodigy vibes, that I diged, but it's too farty sounding on the low A#, even if I set it to unison on the intervals.

Consider playing one octave higher and use an octaver to pitch down again. This helps tracking and might remove the "farty" parts. 
It also makes the sound more synthetic.
You might also hit a high-cut quite early in the chain to remove all clank and string noise.

The prodigy example sounds to me like a simple (gated?) fuzz. Like a muff, big with a big cut in the lows....

I'm thinking of trying out something with 2 routes. One clean signal with a high-cut, to remove the clankiness and still have a nice big low end and ot the other route with a fuzz (probably clawthorne drive or bigg muff pi?) with a low-cut before it so it won't get farty sounding. Doesn't know if it would sound too much like a cahinsaw though.

I think I prefer a fuzz more than a synth actually.

How would you go with a fuzz to maintain a big nice low end but don't get a too mushy/farting sound overall?

4 hours ago, ChaserHUN said:

How would you go with a fuzz to maintain a big nice low end but don't get a too mushy/farting sound overall?

On the fuzz tone... cut the lows, substantially. 

Use the MIX/BLEND to bring in just the right amount of "fuzz" to your existing "nice low end" tone...

If the block does not have a MIX/BLEND, you can try placing the FUZZ on a parallel path.