Jump to content

Helix vs HX Stomp


RonnieKoenig
 Share

Recommended Posts

I am thinking about buying my first Line6 product. I am a bass player. I understand Billy Sheehan uses Helix and he made a preset which emulates his analog gear

My question:
1. Does HX Stomp have all the software components to create the same preset as he created on Helix?
2. If I buy also Helix Native, can I create sounds on computer and import them to HX Stomp? Or is Helix Native compatible only with Helix gear?

Of course, you might ask why don't I just go ahead and buy Helix. I was thinking about that but for a bass player who uses 1-2 different sounds with simple chains, it sounds like "too much". Little HX Stomp seems to make more sense to me. Thank you :)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Helix Native, HX Stomp and Helix Floor are all Helix and are all compatible.  The only difference with HX Stomp (other than the number of footswitches) is the limitation in the number of blocks that you can have in a preset which is roughly half that of what the full Helix Floor can have.  If, as you say, you only need simple chains it should work fine for you.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, RonnieKoenig said:


My question:
1. Does HX Stomp have all the software components to create the same preset as he created on Helix?
2. If I buy also Helix Native, can I create sounds on computer and import them to HX Stomp? Or is Helix Native compatible only with Helix gear?

Of course, you might ask why don't I just go ahead and buy Helix. I was thinking about that but for a bass player who uses 1-2 different sounds with simple chains, it sounds like "too much". Little HX Stomp seems to make more sense to me. Thank you :)

 

 

1) HX Stomp is based on same tech, code and software as the flagship models, rack and floor. It does just have 1/4 of the DSP power, less footswitches and less routing options. Max 8 blocks instead 32. Then 2 stereo path (serial or parallel) VS 4 stereo path (serial or parallel) for the full Helix.

2) Yes. You can create presets for your HX Stomp in two ways. Using its own editor (HX Edit), with the Stomp connected to the USB port. Or, using Native with an audio interface (which can be the HX Stomp itself), and then just exporting the preset. You just need to set the Native software to emulate HX Stomp hardware. Only limitation (which is valid for all HX devices) is that Native won't give your hardware related blocks, like send/return and looper. But as said before, you should use the HX Edit to just create full presets. 

The HX Stomp sounds perfect for your needs. Small footprint and plenty of power for "simple" chains. ;)

 

https://line6.com/documents/processor_comparison_chart/Line_6_Processor_Comparison_Chart.pdf

Edited by PierM
removed wrong information
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, PierM said:

Just be aware that only the full Helix gives you the big discount on the Native license.

 

Is that new?

I got the discount on Native with the Stomp, plus there was an additional "general" 30% discount on all Line 6 software a few months later, ending up paying USD 70 in Nov 2020.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, RonnieKoenig said:

My question:
1. Does HX Stomp have all the software components to create the same preset as he created on Helix?
2. If I buy also Helix Native, can I create sounds on computer and import them to HX Stomp? Or is Helix Native compatible only with Helix gear?


Hi,


Answer:

 

  1. In the video that you posted you can clearly see that when doing the live show with Mister Big he was using a Helix Rack unit.
    Although in the video which is in the thread (linked below), he is using the Helix LT as part of his fly-rig. I had a quick look on CustomTone and I could only see two presets listed for Billy Sheehan style under HX Stomp, but there are 20 under Helix.
     
  2. If you buy any version of the Helix hardware, once you register your product, you can buy Helix Native for $99.99 (sometimes less during sales), but I think you maybe misunderstanding the purpose of Native. If you wish to modify existing presets, or create new ones from scratch, you use the FREE HX Edit application for that. HX Edit also can also be used as a librarian program for your presets. Helix Native is the full blown Helix software (brain) that usually runs in the product hardware. It is software only and functions as an AU, VST plug-in for a Digital Audio Workstation. The advantage of Native is if leave your hardware in your rehearsal room, you can still have all the same sounds available at home in your DAW. Furthermore it has a “hardware compatible” mode, thus making sure that any preset you create while using it will also work with h your unit.

 

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, lou-kash said:

 

Is that new?

I got the discount on Native with the Stomp, plus there was an additional "general" 30% discount on all Line 6 software a few months later, ending up paying USD 70 in Nov 2020.

 

I stand corrected! Seems they also offer full discount with the Stomp.


Wasn't like that when I bought mine. Gonna edit the post, thanks!

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, lou-kash said:

 

Is that new?

I got the discount on Native with the Stomp, plus there was an additional "general" 30% discount on all Line 6 software a few months later, ending up paying USD 70 in Nov 2020.


Not a far as I can tell, I just checked and all HX products are listed as $99.99, upgrades from Pod Farm are more expensive. As you note the prices are often reduced during “flash” sales. IIRC I bought mine in a sale promo with an extra 30% off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, RonnieKoenig said:

you might ask why don't I just go ahead and buy Helix. I was thinking about that but for a bass player who uses 1-2 different sounds with simple chains, it sounds like "too much". Little HX Stomp seems to make more sense to me.

 

I use the Stomp both as a guitarist and as a bassist.

  • With the electric bass, usually I go straight to FOH via a self-soldered TRS-to-XLR adapter, since the Stomp can act as a D.I. box just fine as long as the output is set to Instrument level. But I also use one of my bass amps as a stage monitor, feeding it via the Send output before the Amp+Cab block.
  • Ditto with the acoustic bass, but in small venues I don't even bother with taking an amp with me and go straight into the desk; usually also being the sound guy myself anyway, haha.
  • With the electric guitar, in one band I'm using an old small Yamaha PA box, with all amp modeling happening within the Stomp. With another band, I have my old Fender Blues DeLuxe in the room so I use the Stomp just for effects. Both methods work fine.
  • Also, with the guitar I'm usually adding external footswitches (FS4/FS5) to have more options. And this is actually the Stomp's "killer feature": modularity! You can keep it all very compact, but you can always expand as needed. So for some guitar scenarios, I use a passive double footswitch as FS4/FS5. Other times I use a MIDI footswitch (DMC.micro) which has other benefits – but also adds complexity. Sometimes I may use both, and also add an expression pedal (DMC.micro makes it all possible!). Eventually though, you may find out that less is more… ;)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, datacommando said:


Not a far as I can tell, I just checked and all HX products are listed as $99.99, upgrades from Pod Farm are more expensive. As you note the prices are often reduced during “flash” sales. IIRC I bought mine in a sale promo with an extra 30% off.

 

Amazing. So, since I do already have a full Native license, now I have another one to sell! :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, PierM said:

So, since I do already have a full Native license, now I have another one to sell! :D


There are usually requests from people wanting to buy or sell Helix Native licenses over in the dedicated Helix Native forum. The downside is most of them do not want to pay very much - everyone wants a bargain.

 

https://line6.com/support/forum/90-helix-native/

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unless you need lots of effects for your bass, the Stomp should suit you just fine. It includes the Busy One amps (based on the Pearce BC-1 bass preamp). Plus, its cheaper, more compact, lighter, has lots of external foot-switch and pedal options, and also includes the Native discount. (BTW, you can't resell the special discounted Native; you can only sell your license for the "full-price" non-discounted version. I know because I worked with Line 6 on a transaction.)

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/18/2022 at 5:52 PM, soundog said:

Unless you need lots of effects for your bass, the Stomp should suit you just fine. It includes the Busy One amps (based on the Pearce BC-1 bass preamp). Plus, its cheaper, more compact, lighter, has lots of external foot-switch and pedal options, and also includes the Native discount. (BTW, you can't resell the special discounted Native; you can only sell your license for the "full-price" non-discounted version. I know because I worked with Line 6 on a transaction.)

 

Is that printed officially anywhere, EULA maybe? This is the first time I have seen mention of this re-sell restriction.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No, not printed officially anywhere that I could find (I'm in the U.S.). I got that info directly from Line 6 support when I was asking them about selling a license. A quote from my ticket: "a license purchased at full value can be gifted...promotional and NFR licenses are excluded or at least our system doesn't allow for such licenses to be gifted." This was from early 2021, so things may have changed since then. If you are planning on selling a "not for resale" or promotional HXN license, check with Line 6 support before making any commitments to a buyer.
 

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

7 hours ago, soundog said:

No, not printed officially anywhere that I could find (I'm in the U.S.). I got that info directly from Line 6 support when I was asking them about selling a license. A quote from my ticket: "a license purchased at full value can be gifted...promotional and NFR licenses are excluded or at least our system doesn't allow for such licenses to be gifted." This was from early 2021, so things may have changed since then. If you are planning on selling a "not for resale" or promotional HXN license, check with Line 6 support before making any commitments to a buyer.
 

 

This is weird. So this means I should buy my discounted license for 99, and then resell at full price? I mean, why on earth the other guy should buy from me at that point? :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PierM said:

 

 

This is weird. So this means I should buy my discounted license for 99, and then resell at full price? I mean, why on earth the other guy should buy from me at that point? :D

I haven’t read this entire thread so forgive me if I am overlooking a previous comment……

 

No, it means that you can’t transfer/resell your discounted Helix Native license at any price. The discounted license is tied to the associated Helix hardware device via serial number; it is not owned by you personally but it is associated with your Line 6 account.
 

Note that anyone can download and install the Helix Native software. However, it won’t run on a computer until it is successfully associated and authenticated with a Line 6 account and authorized to run on a specific computer. I’m not sure about the administrative details in transferring a full-price Helix Native license to another person but Line 6 must be involved somehow to remove the license from your account and transfer it to another account. That transfer will only be done by Line 6 for non-discounted (full price) licenses.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, silverhead said:

I haven’t read this entire thread so forgive me if I am overlooking a previous comment……

 

No, it means that you can’t transfer/resell your discounted Helix Native license at any price. The discounted license is tied to the associated Helix hardware device via serial number; it is not owned by you personally but it is associated with your Line 6 account.
 

Note that anyone can download and install the Helix Native software. However, it won’t run on a computer until it is successfully associated and authenticated with a Line 6 account and authorized to run on a specific computer. I’m not sure about the administrative details in transferring a full-price Helix Native license to another person but Line 6 must be involved somehow to remove the license from your account and transfer it to another account. That transfer will only be done by Line 6 for non-discounted (full price) licenses.

 

Ah right. Makes perfectly sense now. Thanks.

 

Anyway, was just a big offtopic started by me sorry. I basically discovered I do have another potential discounted license because of my HX Stomp, but I have the other one I grabbed with my Helix Rack... so I was just messing around about the idea of selling that last one, but honestly it's just gonna stay where it is, unsold and unused. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, PierM said:

 

Ah right. Makes perfectly sense now. Thanks.

 

Anyway, was just a big offtopic started by me sorry. I basically discovered I do have another potential discounted license because of my HX Stomp, but I have the other one I grabbed with my Helix Rack... so I was just messing around about the idea of selling that last one, but honestly it's just gonna stay where it is, unsold and unused. :)

 

If you have not purchased the discounted license associated with your HX Stomp that essentially increases the resell value of your HX Stomp. The purchaser of your used HX Stomp will find that they are able to use the discount because the serial number of that device remains unused for Helix Native discount purposes. Conversely, if you sell your Helix Rack the new owner would find themselves unable to use the discount because that device serial number has already been used.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, silverhead said:

 

If you have not purchased the discounted license associated with your HX Stomp that essentially increases the resell value of your HX Stomp. The purchaser of your used HX Stomp will find that they are able to use the discount because the serial number of that device remains unused for Helix Native discount purposes. Conversely, if you sell your Helix Rack the new owner would find themselves unable to use the discount because that device serial number has already been used.

 

Exactly this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...