Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Go External Footswitch question

wibbers1

Hello! Just starting out with my new Pod Go and very impressed with it so far. I was thinking of adding an external footswitch, and as I didn't have a double one handy, tried a three-button one with a TRS connection from an old multiFX unit. The first two buttons worked as expected (in my case snapshot up/down) but to my surprise the third one toggled the display between snapshot and stomp mode. This is perfect for my needs, but do I risk doing any damage to the unit by plugging something like this in? Thanks!

It's a three switch unit made by Bright Onion Pedals which I used with the TC Electronics Nova System. I understand this is the same as the Digitech FS3X (FS300) and TC Switch-3 footswitches.

Actually the third switch seems to duplicate the mode switch on the Pod Go, but if I can use this safely it saves me buying an extra footswitch.

6 hours ago, joebeets said:

I just added a 2 button switch to my Pod Go and it always triggers on "release" instead of "press" no matter where I have the switch polarity set.  Is this avoidable?

It needs to be a momentary non-latching footswitch - sounds like you might possibly be using a latching footswitch.  I use 2x Bespeco VM20 (momentary, non-latching) footswitches with a stereo Y TRS cable (stereo TRS at single end and mono at the two Y ends):

M41O2qvp0Ht188fbJvfrbIsTEAEFefOnk-HfCspzegShRKOnbDEFl2r461VM86xwAVugG59VV1CKPhkck3SKWKMaKPPlh7vCK-EXRFMewxZF73J_BDbZh8-AmDc2O_7pYub5KvuJKPK27XUMne5qsAWZb_KEjG7-wu9ejSq0lHGNjwFjUWfJcGEMhIx3t0LbJOTCv1Jupnr8kOhGepPe4xySBW5DBYbrEuqZoXaZh190pkuVE2Pl5E5zkkf8bXT9gEQz-SktKXS74s9yjjQkNhdfHJln-YFcC_p6M4pXd7sqvs0IaVVo79h_pwyfHYgnuedDNsxloC2HXLHVQ_2h8tr0QH76CH0KiQf_331-0MRv9UIPCUcfEP5CttTGgV5xU7CReG3GUT0d7W-HWFUFiVKhQr-0MB4-BYvFnEFDvg4qHeF_THTR-sH8buyf35K9_hMOJEXulaV6OC7fonLeI5pau4dWsX0a1bVoIdxdrEAHJaiS4sSREgMW1Vb_YS89xJiC3WRzlJP5xVuwgvfE8j-J6quRXjGZXxqP81z7Jwh8xNEdtxywZLpLNXSCtFggBM17QToXWnDSKyQqjodTCenhVa5qhDTaaQfg8GnhQO7_2cowOyOC2mQ-n16yCnVY7KWO71mAUUfLcODBuKD4Lke6K_vReGLWy4csqsEnpdCpapArYViW60N2Y3jfdkmz--kVUZZXYYTuRJx8bH3alx-E=w1324-h993-no?authuser=0

I have a Boss FS-7 which can be latching or non latching and also has a polarity switch. I have it set to non latching and in either polarity setting, the effect comes on when "releasing" the switch rather than "pressing" the switch. Can you check if this has the same result on your Pod Go?

On 2/20/2022 at 12:12 AM, joebeets said:

I have a Boss FS-7 which can be latching or non latching and also has a polarity switch. I have it set to non latching and in either polarity setting, the effect comes on when "releasing" the switch rather than "pressing" the switch. Can you check if this has the same result on your Pod Go?

Are you using a stereo TRS 'Y' cable? (single end is stereo TRS, the 2 'Y' ends are mono - they'll have different colours as per my pic).  

Having done some more playing around with the 3 button switch it's a bit more interesting than I thought. The third (extra) button can toggle between Preset/Snapshot, Preset/Stomp or Snapshot/Stomp if you use the mode button as well (not at the same time!). As far as I understand on the unit itself you can't toggle directly between Preset and Snapshot without pressing the up & down buttons together - is this right?

9 hours ago, voxman55 said:

Are you using a stereo TRS 'Y' cable? (single end is stereo TRS, the 2 'Y' ends are mono - they'll have different colours as per my pic).  

Yes, all connections are correct. I've used this and other latching/non latching pedals for years. If you could, would you test if the witch engages when you "press" the switch or when you "release" the switch?

22 hours ago, joebeets said:

Yes, all connections are correct. I've used this and other latching/non latching pedals for years. If you could, would you test if the witch engages when you "press" the switch or when you "release" the switch?

The witch does indeed engage when I press the switch, not when I release it !  :bumpbump

Stock photo