Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

help me demystify the hx stomp outputs

bjcampbell7

So there is some confusion for me regarding the outputs on the stomp. Mostly due to this video: 

Like others, I am currently running my stomp outputs using a couple of diy TRS -> XLR connectors and have had great success. I have seen reports of people experiencing ground noise when using their stomp, which I believe could be solved by placing a latching switch (ground lift) on the ground wire of my DIY TRS -> XLR connectors.  Which leaves me wondering: are there any advantages you gain by using a direct box with the stomp outside of having a ground lift switch?

Well XLR is certainly the most prevalent input when it comes to mixing boards and that's primarily because of the low noise on XLR over long distances, but I'm not sure if a ground lift would help that much in any case other than if there's a ground loop problem in the electric outlets the equipment is plugged into.  But it's not a sure thing it would fix it because the ground loop could potentially be in the difference between the Stomp and the Mixer for example.