Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp will only power up at 19v!...

humanclay212

Something weird has happen to my HX Stomp...

all of a sudden, it will only power up with 19v of power. The power supply that comes with it will no longer work. I have tried various 9v power supplies (all center negative) 3-5A max output.

I have tried 12v... nothing, 15v... nothing 19v... powers up! Anybody seen this before?

• Confused 2

Quite an interesting procedure to increase the voltage... when would you have stopped trying? ;-) 

Thats definately hardware failure - not sure about the internal operation voltages used in the Stomp. Sounds like something is broken in there. Something may have increased some resistence significantly or some internal voltage regulation is broken... Hard to claim warranty now after you operated with more than twice the demanded supply voltage..

• Upvote 1

I realized that 19v powered up the hx stomp by accident. As I was trying my different 9v power supplies thinking my hx stomp power supply no longer worked, I accidentally plugged in a 19v ( thinking it was a 9v) all of the sudden it powered up. It works without any issues, as to how long it will continue to stay that way will remain to be seen although i have been usingit this way for about 4 months now. Also, I only tried the other voltages to see if it worked at a lower voltage but it didn't. Anyhow, I appreciate everyone's taking the time to chime in on this.  I think it's weird and I don't know how it got this way in the first place but somethings are too remain a mystery :)

23 minutes ago, humanclay212 said:

I realized that 19v powered up the hx stomp by accident. As I was trying my different 9v power supplies thinking my hx stomp power supply no longer worked, I accidentally plugged in a 19v ( thinking it was a 9v) all of the sudden it powered up. It works without any issues, as to how long it will continue to stay that way will remain to be seen although i have been usingit this way for about 4 months now. Also, I only tried the other voltages to see if it worked at a lower voltage but it didn't. Anyhow, I appreciate everyone's taking the time to chime in on this.  I think it's weird and I don't know how it got this way in the first place but somethings are too remain a mystery :)

Of course it's your stuff and your money, but from an electronic POV, what you are doing it's just prone for an imminent domino of fried components. It's clear there is still some "firewall" that it's preventing those 19V to fully hit the main controllers and boards. Probably there is still some voltage regulator preventing the disaster, just after the component which failed first. Also, the HX Stomp, for its very tight packaging, has a very hot thermal management by default. As soon as those 19V will hit main boards, I'm pretty sure it's gonna bake for good. What Im saying is that, imho, it's better you fix it now, as it could be just a protection in the early stage of AC control, that needs to be fixed. After that, if the main board will be baked later, it's gonna be just an expensive doorstop. :)

Anyway, good luck. :)

I'd stop powering it up, and order an "official" replacement power supply. It's always good practice to have an extra supply around anyway. It would be interesting to measure the actual voltage going into your HX, maybe the power supply has lousy voltage regulation, and under load it's feeding in more like 10-12V. 

On 2/19/2022 at 9:24 PM, craiganderton said:

I'd stop powering it up, and order an "official" replacement power supply. It's always good practice to have an extra supply around anyway. It would be interesting to measure the actual voltage going into your HX, maybe the power supply has lousy voltage regulation, and under load it's feeding in more like 10-12V. 

The official hx power supply works fine just doesn't power up my hx stomp anymore. The actual voltage going currently into the hx stomp is 19v. It's the only voltage that will power it up other than 18v anything under 18v won't work.  Currently  looking into sending it in for repair.

On 2/25/2022 at 3:31 PM, humanclay212 said:

The official hx power supply works fine just doesn't power up my hx stomp anymore.

Oh, okay. I misinterpreted "The power supply that comes with it will no longer work." as the supply itself was the problem. It will be interesting to see how this resolves, and what the problem actually is. If it happened to you, it could happen to someone else.

• 1 year later...