Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Nothing to do with Helix, but there's no "general" form to post this in: Question about a forum setting

tjbassoon

Is there any way I can extend the log in time on this forum? It's the only internet forum, or even including social media, that I regularly have to log in, like pretty much daily. It'll remember me for about a day. Is there a way to change this setting? I've poked around but didn't see anything in the obvious settings.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tjbassoon said:

Is there any way I can extend the log in time on this forum? It's the only internet forum, or even including social media, that I regularly have to log in, like pretty much daily. It'll remember me for about a day. Is there a way to change this setting? I've poked around but didn't see anything in the obvious settings.

I don't think there is any way, at least not via settings, for a user to extend their time between required logins. This is probably set on Line 6's end to lessen the load on their server(s) and network imposed by inactive connections.

4 hours ago, tjbassoon said:

If you figure that out I'll buy you a beer! Two beers!

• Upvote 2

Line 6 should finally update the community backend:

invisioncommunity.com/release-notes

I haven't found out which exact version they are running here but it's a pretty old one.

I'm also frequently contributing to forum.affinity.serif.com which uses the same community software while keeping it up to date. It runs waay, waay smoother than here, with no logouts whatsoever; I don't even remember the last time I had to log in on the Affinity forums.

• Like 1

I've found that it's not an expire issue, but just their cookies which are (assuming) kind of broken. When I come back here and I look unlogged, I just click on the main forum link and there you go, I'm logged in again.

Just now, HonestOpinion said:

While they're at it how about fixing the emoticons. Snark is so much easier to tolerate when followed by a smiley face plus they remind me of the early raves in Soho  :-)

YES! WE NEED EMOTICONS!

(insert angry mob with torches and pitchforks emoticon)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

While they're at it how about fixing the emoticons. Snark is so much easier to tolerate when followed by a smiley face plus they remind me of the early raves in Soho  :-)

7 hours ago, rd2rk said:

YES! WE NEED EMOTICONS!

(insert angry mob with torches and pitchforks emoticon)

Yes, I agree and I think that this could be better. Some users have a tendency to misinterpret a reply as “snarky” when that is not the intention, but there is no accounting for how some folks will react. I cannot see it happening though. I checked the features available for this forum, and it appears that what we already have is the total limit of the “reactions” available.

https://invisioncommunity.com/features/forums/

It could use some sort of “spring clean” and a spruce up.

7 hours ago, rd2rk said:

And give us more personal storage so that the hard work we put into screenshots doesn't have to be deleted and lost to future answer seekers!

Oh, yeah - and more space. I had to ditch lots of pertinent screenshots and now those replies don’t seem to make sense. A picture is worth a thousand words.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have not yet determined if the repetitive Log In or Cookies issue has been resolved with this afternoon's website overhaul. Nevertheless, the Vertical Username & Avatar Graphics doubling the name and graphic to its immediate right is quite bizarre!

• Upvote 2

Just wanted to point out the 'Edit' hyperlink is gone but you can still edit a post using the three dots to the right of your profile name. I get consolidating several functions beneath one link, but personally I vastly preferred the old one-click 'Edit' link to this new two-click method. It also will probably make the 'Edit' function more difficult to find for newcomers to the forum.

• Upvote 2

I did say this place could use a “spring clean”, but this is frankly appalling.

At first it would not allow me to login on my iPad, then when I eventually managed to get in, the interface is totally screwy. It almost unusable on an iPad in landscape mode, only slightly better in portrait mode. Surely, someone must have checked how this runs in responsive mode on mobile devices.

From bad to worse, but at least there are no more “guru” tags, which seemed to upset some users. I guess we’re all equal now.

Jeez, what a shambles!

EDIT:

After eventually being able to make this post, I went back into the main forum, only to discover that I’m logged out there, but I can still return here and edit this post - absolute mayhem! Oh, yeah, anyone seen any emoji’s in here - thought not!

:-(

I finally got my login to work by clearing the cache and cookies - we'll see how long that lasts. 

Quite possibly the worst forum update I've ever seen... and if it wasn't an update, it's the worst forum maintenance I've ever seen. Maybe it's a sign that I need to take a break for a while :) (and still no emojis) 

• Upvote 1

This continual "log out"situation is getting beyond ridiculous now.

Every time I go to read a post and then return to the main page, I'm logged out, then trying to log back in is a total PITA. 

It just isn't happening for me - enough is enough!

On 3/9/2022 at 10:20 AM, datacommando said:

Every time I go to read a post and then return to the main page, I'm logged out, then trying to log back in is a total PITA. 

hmmm, not for me.  i'm still logged in since yesterday on Firefox on my Macbook....

• Like 1

This is pathetic. I have to clear the cache/cookies every time or it won't let me log on.

And it's ugly. And no emoticons!

A perfect example of "Be careful what you wish for".

Yes, the Powercab Team needed to be punished for all their epic fails.

But exiling them to Forum duty... we deserve better!

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

On 3/9/2022 at 4:20 PM, datacommando said:

For me is even worse, as I've to clear the cookies every single time I want to log in. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 10:19 AM, PierM said:

For me is even worse, as I've to clear the cookies every single time I want to log in. 

Same here.... it doesn't matter what browser I try.... Chrome/Firefox/Edge/Safari - same thing.
I don't even know if this post will happen as I may get logged out when I press submit. (it's happened twice already today)

Not that anyone really cares but if you don't see me around here,  the forums problems are the reasons why.

I don't really care how the forum looks, but the login issue is too much trouble at this point. 

• Like 1

On 2/22/2022 at 6:54 AM, PierM said:

Or just let's move to TGP all together! They have everything there, plus cake! 

the gear page stopped working for me months ago. I get a continuously spinning circle. 

Oddly, it is actually loading things - because my data keeps running, until eventually my browser crashes. 

*Luckily, I am not a TGP user. But when looking things up, it often appears in search results. 

On 2/21/2022 at 11:21 PM, rd2rk said:

And give us more personal storage so that the hard work we put into screenshots doesn't have to be deleted and lost to future answer seekers!

But within reason - I don't want first time posters coming here peddling their wares. 

Nor do we want this place to turn into ME ME hell. 

I actually had to troll someone out of JCF because every post was a new ME ME. 

Sorry, but some places are for adults to discuss stuff. Take that childish bulllollipop to Facebook where it belongs. 

*I know that it is spelled meme. But I call it ME ME. Because it is always 'look at me, look at me, me me me me"

On 3/9/2022 at 6:35 AM, datacommando said:

I did say this place could use a “spring clean”, but this is frankly appalling.

At first it would not allow me to login on my iPad, then when I eventually managed to get in, the interface is totally screwy. It almost unusable on an iPad in landscape mode, only slightly better in portrait mode. Surely, someone must have checked how this runs in responsive mode on mobile devices.

From bad to worse, but at least there are no more “guru” tags, which seemed to upset some users. I guess we’re all equal now.

Jeez, what a shambles!

EDIT:

After eventually being able to make this post, I went back into the main forum, only to discover that I’m logged out there, but I can still return here and edit this post - absolute mayhem! Oh, yeah, anyone seen any emoji’s in here - though not!

:-(

The redundant double icon with the vertical member's handle has got to go!

Not only are the "Guru" tags gone but so are the easily visible reputation "Likes" count. Granted members shouldn't be posting just to gather up "Likes" but it seemed like they helped when it came to incentivizing forum members to spend time and effort responding to inquiries as well as testing and resolving issues. These new changes appear to show a less than an astute command of forum psychology. I wonder what their intention was here? They removed the slot machine from the lobby.

Seems like a lot of changes that no one wanted. Hopefully this is a transitional phase while they "improve" the forum's configuration. Bring back emojis, add some upload space, have Line6 staff respond to technical issues here as they used to, and extend connectivity without requiring additional logins as much as possible! Now those are changes most everyone could appreciate.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/9/2022 at 12:35 PM, datacommando said:

Well, you have a crown icon now. From guru to King! I have popcorn or something...bah

• Sad 1

"Hey you! You with the mop and the bucket! Come over here!"

"Yes Master, how may I serve you?"

"This forum is a mess! I want you to clean it up!"

"But Master, I'm not done with the Powercab!"

"Don't give me any lip! Just clean it up!"

"Yes Master" Right away!"

Dumps mop bucket on Forum Server.

"Will there be anything else Master?"

• Upvote 1

On 3/9/2022 at 10:00 PM, PierM said:

Well, you have a crown icon now. From guru to King! I have popcorn or something...bah

Ho Lee Sheet - what the hell is that supposed to be?

Note: Hey! I managed to get back in - but who knows for how long.

Aaarrrgggghhh!

On 3/9/2022 at 8:35 PM, HonestOpinion said:

The redundant double icon with the vertical member's handle has got to go!

Not only are the "Guru" tags gone but so are the easily visible reputation "Likes" count. Granted members shouldn't be posting just to gather up "Likes" but it seemed like they helped when it came to incentivizing forum members to spend time and effort responding to inquiries as well as testing and resolving issues. These new changes appear to show a less than an astute command of forum psychology. I wonder what their intention was here? They removed the slot machine from the lobby.

Seems like a lot of changes that no one wanted. Hopefully this is a transitional phase while they "improve" the forum's configuration. Bring back emojis, add some upload space, have Line6 staff respond to technical issues here as they used to, and extend connectivity without requiring additional logins as much as possible! Now those are changes most everyone could appreciate.

While I’m still able to comment - I have to say this gets my vote!

On 3/9/2022 at 4:01 PM, datacommando said:

Ho Lee Sheet - what the hell is that supposed to be?

Note: Hey! I managed to get back in - but who knows for how long.

Aaarrrgggghhh!

We've gone from "Uber Guru Pineapple Heads" to "Grand Masters" (hover on the icon).

What the ##/## is supposed to mean I got no clue!