Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD500X in musical theater setting- I/O question

tomneeson

I got my POD HD500X in January 2020, anticipating some theater work I'd booked for the upcoming spring season. Obviously that didn't pan out what with the world ending and all, so it's mainly just sat on my classroom floor as a pedalboard for my teaching setup. I'm booked to play a production of Shrek The Musical this summer, and I'd really like to get the most out of the POD in terms of I/O for my pit setup. I've played a few shows with a more traditional guitar->pedalboard->amp setup, but for this show I'd like to try and do as much "in the box" as I can. My big question is whether I can use multiple instruments at once with a minimum of cable swapping between songs. The show calls for several electric and acoustic guitars, ukulele, and a few oddball sounds, but my setup is going to consist of one electric guitar, one acoustic-electric, and a ukulele. Is there a way to run all three simultaneously with a basic pedalboard setup on the POD? Or should I explore some kind of dedicated DI for the acoustic and/or uke? 

3 hours ago, tomneeson said:

I got my POD HD500X in January 2020, anticipating some theater work I'd booked for the upcoming spring season. Obviously that didn't pan out what with the world ending and all, so it's mainly just sat on my classroom floor as a pedalboard for my teaching setup. I'm booked to play a production of Shrek The Musical this summer, and I'd really like to get the most out of the POD in terms of I/O for my pit setup. I've played a few shows with a more traditional guitar->pedalboard->amp setup, but for this show I'd like to try and do as much "in the box" as I can. My big question is whether I can use multiple instruments at once with a minimum of cable swapping between songs. The show calls for several electric and acoustic guitars, ukulele, and a few oddball sounds, but my setup is going to consist of one electric guitar, one acoustic-electric, and a ukulele. Is there a way to run all three simultaneously with a basic pedalboard setup on the POD? Or should I explore some kind of dedicated DI for the acoustic and/or uke? 

Seeing as you'd like to have 3 sources plugged in at the same time this could be tricky. You are able to use the guitar input and aux input and mic input at the same time but would require some programming choices on what path they use if I'm correct. Not sure if the mic input would be able to be used for any of your instruments. Sounds to me like you need a switcher box before the POD like an A/B pedal. Hope that helps. 

Jd

On 2/22/2022 at 2:05 PM, tomneeson said:

my setup is going to consist of one electric guitar, one acoustic-electric, and a ukulele. Is there a way to run all three simultaneously with a basic pedalboard setup on the POD? Or should I explore some kind of dedicated DI for the acoustic and/or uke? 

Regarding the management of the inputs of the POD there should be no problem to manage the scenario you described entirely from the device and easily.

All 3 instruments can be connected simultaneously to the POD each with its own cable:

the electric guitar to the GUITAR IN input, the acoustic-electric guitar to the AUX input, and the ukulele via microphone to the MIC input.

Dedicated presets must have selected as input only the one necessary for the chosen instrument (only one of the 3 mentioned above), so that the other 2 physical inputs remain silent.

As for the management of the outputs, considering that you want to process both the electric guitar and acoustic instruments signals with the same device, it is better to connect the POD outputs directly to the mixer and/or to a FRFR monitoring system.

Doing so would not require any DIs for your acoustic instruments, and you could easily manage everything from the POD with presets built specifically for the different instruments.
The POD output mode must be set to Studio/Direct, and the 1/4" OUT switch near the pedal to LINE.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips