Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variable input pad...

codamedia

Although I love the new input pad options on the 3.15 update, I can't help but think it could still be improved simply by making it variable. 

I have created an IDEASCALE submission for this.... here is the link in case anyone would like to upvote it. 

https://line6.ideascale.com/c/idea/1040381 

Summary: Make the input pad (in the preset) variable to plus/minus 10db (value to be determined), and have that assignable to snapshots or footswitches. It would make it really flexible for those of us that use multiple guitars. I currently do this with a simple GAIN control as the first block, it works fine but I'd prefer it built into the input block since it is an input setting. 

NOTE: There have been a couple other requests for a variable pad... but I decided to start one that expands on the 3.15 update. 

Here are the other links I found, just in case you would like to upvote those as well....

https://line6.ideascale.com/c/idea/963267

https://line6.ideascale.com/c/idea/873228

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

As much as I'd like to support this, I'd almost take a bet it's impossible. From all I know, the input pad is a fixed additional resistor on the analog side of things, controlled by an on/off switch rather than through an adjustable pot.

Yes - quite possible. I have thought of that. 

BUT - it never hurts to ask, just in case it "is" possible. 

8 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

As much as I'd like to support this, I'd almost take a bet it's impossible. From all I know, the input pad is a fixed additional resistor on the analog side of things, controlled by an on/off switch rather than through an adjustable pot.

I'd be willing to bet money that this is the case.

On 2/22/2022 at 8:39 AM, SaschaFranck said:

15 hours ago, phil_m said:

I'd be willing to bet money that this is the case.

If was just a resistor, it would have had to have been there all along and if it was, why didn't we have this option from the very beginning?  Why did it take until version 3.15 for us to get this option? Just as software in the Helix allows us to adjust levels in multitudes of different parameters, why would this one parameter need to be reliant on a fixed part of the hardware?

4 hours ago, hideout said:

If was just a resistor, it would have had to have been there all along and if it was, why didn't we have this option from the very beginning?  Why did it take until version 3.15 for us to get this option? Just as software in the Helix allows us to adjust levels in multitudes of different parameters, why would this one parameter need to be reliant on a fixed part of the hardware?

I can understand what Sashca and Phil_m are saying.... 

As I understand it... the PAD happens before the AD conversion... the ON/OFF may be digitally controlled, but it very well could be a "fixed value" baked into the hardware. 

But, it never hurts to ask.... just in case it is possible :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2022 at 1:06 PM, codamedia said:

I can understand what Sashca and Phil_m are saying.... 

As I understand it... the PAD happens before the AD conversion... the ON/OFF may be digitally controlled, but it very well could be a "fixed value" baked into the hardware. 

But, it never hurts to ask.... just in case it is possible :) 

I think my point still holds.  If it was "baked into the hardware" then the feature has been available all along. Why would we not have had this feature until now?

21 hours ago, hideout said:

I think my point still holds.  If it was "baked into the hardware" then the feature has been available all along. Why would we not have had this feature until now?

The input pad has been available the whole time. It was always just a global setting. It’s still a global setting, technically, but you can choose to have individual presets override the global setting now.

Here we go again...

You can get an inexpensive boost or EQ pedal.  https://www.amazon.com/JOYO-6-Band-Electric-Equalizer-Provides/dp/B085QKS9LZ/

Or you can use my method of setting up your presets to work with multiple inputs, e.g. guitar / Receive 1 / Receive 2 -- each receive jack has a variable pad.  There may be some negligible noise that is added to the preset using this method.  To see what I'm talking about, you can watch my video. 

I have a wireless system and it has an adjustable gain control on the receiver.   So if you don't have a wireless system and have some money to spend, treat yourself to a wireless system, like Shure GLXD16.

On 3/5/2022 at 8:36 AM, phil_m said:

The input pad has been available the whole time. It was always just a global setting. It’s still a global setting, technically, but you can choose to have individual presets override the global setting now.

Hmmm.  I must admit that I've never looked there. I guess I've never needed it.