Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

ALERT: Auto-engage/bypass behavior has changed as of the 3.15 firmware

HonestOpinion

There is a brand new 'Behavior' parameter in the 3.15 firmware, and it profoundly impacts how auto-engage operates. It is found with the rest of the parameters that appear under the 'Bypass Assign' section when you set up auto-engage by changing the 'Switch' parameter from "EXP Toe" to "EXP Pedal 1,2, or 3", "Variax Vol" or "Variax Tone". This 'Behavior' parameter may impact the operation of presets with a block set up to auto-engage, designed prior to the 3.15 firmware. The easiest problematic symptom to spot in a preset is that the Wah either turns on or off when you were anticipating the opposite. Good news is you just have to set 'Behavior' to your preference and resave the preset. The default for the new 'Behavior' parameter is "Toggle". The options for the new Behavior parameter are "Toggle", "Heel Down", and "Toe Down".

From the 3.15 firmware update notes

• Bypass Assign > EXP Pedal 1/2 now has a new Behavior parameter to control how bypassing is handled. The default value "Toggle" behaves as this feature always has - bringing the pedal past threshold will toggle the block's bypass state from what it is currently (i.e. enable if currently bypassed and vice versa). "Toe Down" and "Heel Down" always bypass the block at the designated position, regardless of the block's starting state. So with "Heel Down" selected, the block will always enable when you cross the Position threshold and bypass when you return below it

As of the 3.15 firmware, you have more flexibility on the auto-engage behavior but may have to go back and retrofit your presets. If for example, you only want the Wah to engage when you move from the heel-down position past the 10% point, your settings should be as shown below(if you are using the Helix's default assignments of 'EXP 2' for volume and 'EXP 1' for Wah). Take note of the new "Heel Down" setting. If you don't use the default expression pedal assignments for your wah/volume blocks, you can adjust accordingly using the 'Switch' parameter under 'Bypass Assign'.

Switch = "EXP Pedal 1"

Position = "10%" (or your preferred setting)

Wait = "300ms" (or your preferred setting)

'MIDI In' = "Off" (default="Off" or your preferred setting)

Behavior = "Heel Down"  ('Behavior' is the new parameter for auto-engage/bypass as of the 3.15 firmware)

•  
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, theElevators said:

I'm seeing this behavior (also posted in the bugs thread).  The 3.15 "behavior" parameter value gets auto-saved and sometimes applies to unrelated presets. 

https://youtu.be/j96k1ZFB2Fw

Wow! Haven't tested this behavior between presets yet myself but if this is consistent then the 'Behavior' parameter is acting like a global setting from within a preset. We have seen that before with the 'Variax Settings' parameter on the Input block and the 'Powercab Remote' setting on the Output block, also similar to those other "globals within a preset", 'Behavior' doesn't seem to require a save to affect all other presets. Unlike those parameters though, this one would probably qualify, as you point out, as a bug. Good catch! Going to run some tests and see if I can replicate your results.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, theElevators said:

I'm seeing this behavior (also posted in the bugs thread).  The 3.15 "behavior" parameter value gets auto-saved and sometimes applies to unrelated presets. 

https://youtu.be/j96k1ZFB2Fw

Yep, I am seeing the same behavior you detailed in your video. That means that at least in the 3.15 firmware, it appears at first blush, that setting the 'Behavior' in any preset will set it to the same value in all other presets where the wah is set up for auto-engage/bypass. More testing required but it is hard to understand why this would be intended behavior. Looks like a bug. At the least, something users need to be aware of.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2