Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can't decide!

MayPRS

So long story short - I use a traditional pedal/amp setup. My amp is a VOX AC30 and its very important to the tone I need to obtain on stage. I also really love having that thump behind me, moving air...

I'm changing to a more modern pedalboard and, of course, I ended up seeking Line 6 - long time TC user, with very good results but it always seemed to me that TC units (at least the old ones) suck tone a bit and the sound is not as crystal clear as I hear on the Line 6.

Problem: using amp I think the obvious choice would HX Effects but I keep wondering if I should get a Stomp XL or a LT instead - not that I need the amp simulators on stage but always wondered if a little more cash can prove worth it in the future (although I can't see myself playing without an amp on stage...).

Many thanks!!!

I own the Helix LT.

You can plug your amp using the 4-cable method, and it essentially becomes another block inside the Helix FX chain. The DSP power of the LT is very useful once you start experimenting all those effects and possibilities.

Just for the record: these days I don't use my amp on the stage anymore. My Helix LT (loaded with some impulse responses) does the job. Not carrying a heavy amp is liberating!

If all you care about is your stage show, you're totally happy with what you've got and can't see ANY WAY that you'd EVER need amp sims then get the HXFX.

It has more buttons and scribble strips. It's made for your CURRENT use case.

If there's ANY chance that MAYBE SOMEDAY you just MIGHT POSSIBLY need more, get a Helix Floor or Rack + Controller.

OR you could get an HXS or HXSXL or LT. BUT... what if you get one of those and SOMEDAY you need MORE?!?!?

MORE is BETTER, right? ;-)

IOW - your choices are - get what you know you need NOW or guess at what you MIGHT SOMEDAY need.

FWIW - I have an HXS for use with my tube combo (all bases covered) and an HX Floor and Powercab212+ because MORE is BETTER and STEREO is WAY COOL!

As a gigging musician, I can tell you -- using onboard amp/cab/mic is great.  You can dial in your exact sound on the Helix.  I too was at one point the "my setup is so unique, I have to use a real amp", etc guitarist.  Nope.  Spend some time and dial in your exact sound. 

Plus the stage setup is a breeze without having to be tied to your exact amp requirement.  Plus you can play at any volume, and record straight to the DAW.  Even if you decide to use an actual physical combo amp, having an ability to have a great signal ready for FOH is always great to have. 

Even decades ago, bands like Rush have been going direct to FOH, using amp/speaker cab simulation to FOH. 

Anywyay, just get the complete package -- the Helix, as opposed to later on realizing you are missing stuff....

• Like 1

Hmmmm. I think if you are really used to your magical AC30 tone and air, you might be disappointed in trying to replace it with a modeler. Maybe. The Helix (and Stomp, XL) do a damn good AC30 simulation.  So, get a unit that gives you all the effects you think you might need. That might be an HXFX. But if you think you might want to try a modeler, as @theElevators suggests, you may want to add amp sims via a Stomp, Stomp XL, or Helix. Make sure you get all the footswitches and effects blocks you think you might need. Size might also be a factor for you pedalboard, so consider that as well. And price! How much money you got? Whatever you do, don't sell your AC30!

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, soundog said:

...Make sure you get all the footswitches and effects blocks you think you might need. Size might also be a factor for you pedalboard, so consider that as well. ...

^^^ This!!! Personally, I don't think anything in a lifetime of trying different pedalboards and modelers (other than crappy sound), has pushed me to switch devices more quickly than lack of adequate footswitches or effects that make up my usual signal path. If you are intending to use snapshots(scenes) you might want to keep that in mind as well as it relates to available switches or alternatively adding a MIDI controller.  All of the advice here is good, but this is basically a subjective decision that hinges on how you will be playing now and the foreseeable, but not distant future. There will be new devices available in the distant future.

Budget, form factor, max # simultaneous effects, amp/cab modeling, simplicity, ease of use, whether you intend to retain your other pedals, whether you will employ a MIDI controller - all figure into the calculus of selecting the best suited device(s). You know the drill.

Thank you all for the replies - I decided I will go for the Helix (LT or Floor remains to be decided)...

Question - Using my AC30 at stage could I do the following:

• Path with AC30 amp + cab simulation going to XLR outs (in stereo) to FOH:
  • Path without the AC30 amp + cab and 4 cable method using my amp.

Basically I want a AC30 tone going to FOH without having to mic my amp and having the possibility of adding stereo delays and chorus for a richer sound at front, and using my amp on stage for me (on 4 CM or 3CM) with the delays and chorus going "mono". Is it possible such a thing?

Many thanks.

On 2/24/2022 at 6:30 PM, Rachmaninoff said:

I own the Helix LT.

You can plug your amp using the 4-cable method, and it essentially becomes another block inside the Helix FX chain. The DSP power of the LT is very useful once you start experimenting all those effects and possibilities.

Just for the record: these days I don't use my amp on the stage anymore. My Helix LT (loaded with some impulse responses) does the job. Not carrying a heavy amp is liberating!

Unless I missed something, you can't do 4CM with an AC30.

You'd need an effects loop?

On 2/28/2022 at 5:59 PM, stratgilmour said:

Thank you all for the replies - I decided I will go for the Helix (LT or Floor remains to be decided)...

Question - Using my AC30 at stage could I do the following:

• Path with AC30 amp + cab simulation going to XLR outs (in stereo) to FOH:
  • Path without the AC30 amp + cab and 4 cable method using my amp.

Basically I want a AC30 tone going to FOH without having to mic my amp and having the possibility of adding stereo delays and chorus for a richer sound at front, and using my amp on stage for me (on 4 CM or 3CM) with the delays and chorus going "mono". Is it possible such a thing?

Many thanks.

Is the above possible? I appreciate any help. Many thanks!!!

41 minutes ago, stratgilmour said:

Is the above possible? I appreciate any help. Many thanks!!!

Hi,

If you are going for either the Helix LT, or Floor unit, it should be really easy.
Check out some of the routing diagrams in the owner’s manuals.

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a3f041b611d61cac763b/application/pdf/Helix 3.0 Owner's Manual - Rev F - English .pdf

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a3f18374611d5dffd3a45/application/pdf/Helix LT 3.0 Owner's Manual - Rev D - English .pdf

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Thanks 1