Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Audio Recording Functions?

soundog

According to online info, the Catalyst has "Built-in 4-channel USB audio interface with XLR line out for easy home recording." But I have found no further details. There is nothing in the manual.

Does anyone have more info? For example, what are the in/out USB channels? Can you record the dry signal on one channel, and mono or stereo wet on other channel(s)? Can you reamp through USB?

Is the XLR out wet or dry, or switchable?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm hopeful that Catalyst USB Audio 4in / 4 out is similar to the POD Go 4in/4out 
and would allow Re-Amping

details on  POD Go 4in/4out USB Audio on page 39

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a406fe360b80f606a156/application/pdf/POD Go 1.20 Owner's Manual - Rev D - English .pdf

There is really no information about this in the manuals that I can see. I would raise a support ticket to get the details.

The main question I would have relates to the signal processing for cab/mic over USB. There seems to be no such processing in the Catalyst amp itself, so presumably the signal sent over USB would need to have an IR added as a plug-in within the DAW. This would apply to both direct and re-amp recording.

Just a guess.

Sparse detail available but it looks like cabinet block cannot be removed from some audio out paths. No choice in the edit app for 'none' and it is labeled DIRECT OUT / PHONES / USB. I do not believe those are switchable at this point.

Also extrapolating the same conclusion from the midi documentation for cabs and mics - Speaker Select - Selects Speaker Cabinet 1-3 (utilized on the XLR Direct, Phones, and USB outputs). For mics - select 1-15. That seems odd since there are 16 mics. But my midi fu is close to zero.

It is 4 channel USB audio, so maybe there is a dry out. If I get some time today I will try the USB audio.

When I loaded the ASIO driver and selected the Catalyst in Reaper I could see input 1-4 and outs 1&2 as expected. Recorded all 4 inputs simultaneously. 1&2 had the amp models with effects and 3&4 were DI guitar bypassing all the processing.

Did not try any re-amping but I suppose it would be dry, clean guitar to the available amp model, cab, mic combinations. No way to use daw IRs separately.

• Like 3

On 3/27/2022 at 3:55 PM, akatomcox said:

Did not try any re-amping but I suppose it would be dry, clean guitar to the available amp model, cab, mic combinations. No way to use daw IRs separately.

Are you saying there are cab/mic combinations that you can apply in Catalyst? 

So you can record a dry guitar signal to a track on your DAW. I would be very surprised if there weren’t any IR plugins in the commercial marketplace that could be applied to the dry track.

Yes. The xlr and headphone outs as well as channels 1&2 usb audio always have cab/mic emulation. There are 3 cabs 1x12, 2x12 and 4x12 and 16 mic models to select from in the edit app.

There is also apparently unprocessed direct signals from the usb out too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you, @akatomcox — that's the way I assumed it would work.

It would be ideal if Line 6 would supply modeling (with cabinet/IR) to match the Catalyst, either standalone or within Helix Native. That would avoid reamping, and the user could experiment with different Catalyst tones in a song while mixing, after laying down the dry track.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Great question about the Catalyst's audio recording capabilities. It sounds like you've already done some digging, but it's a bummer the manual didn't provide more clarity. These days, a lot of interfaces have multiple routing options that allow you to record dry and wet signals simultaneously, as well as reamp capabilities.
Since the thread is a year old, maybe you've found a solution by now. But if you're still looking, I'd recommend checking out some professional audio services. One that comes to mind is lalightingandsound.com. They offer Downtown LA Event Production Services and have a good reputation for their audio solutions. Their team might have some expertise on this specific issue or can recommend equipment that fits your needs.