Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp: Quality of headphone line out?

Tonymf

Hi,

How is the quality of the line out for headphones?

I am thinking of buying the HX Stomp in order to play my guitar silently at home while listening at the same time to some background music etc.. from my iPad/ iPhone, all this on my IEM earphones or audiophile headphones. 

(so far I have tested the Fender Mustang Micro and the Boss Pocket GT but there is some hum noise and the quality of the sound is definitely not that great when I use my Shure 535 IEM or my Sennheiser HD 660S headphones)

Regardless whether I'm using my Sennheiser HD 650 300 Ohm, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm, Shure SE530, or Sony MDR-V6, I find the HX Stomp's headphone out serves very well. If you're seeking thunderous near pain threshold headphone SPL levels, you'll need a headphone amp. Otherwise, you should find the HX Stomp more than adequate. YMMV.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tonymf said:

In the meantime I read many reviews and it seems that the quality of the audio for the headphones line out is ok and that it works good with the DT770 Pro 250 Ohms or even IEM.

It'll "work good" with any quality output device(s)... headphones, studio, monitors, PA, etc etc. The magic bullet is not what you choose to monitor your sound with, but understanding what a modeler is and isn't, and learning how to use one properly, no matter who makes it.. A word to the wise, however... don't expect instant "plug and play" gratification. That's not gonna happen no matter what you buy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cruisinon2 said:

It'll "work good" with any quality output device(s)... headphones, studio, monitors, PA, etc etc. The magic bullet is not what you choose to monitor your sound with, but understanding what a modeler is and isn't, and learning how to use one properly, no matter who makes it.. A word to the wise, however... don't expect instant "plug and play" gratification. That's not gonna happen no matter what you buy.

At the moment I am a just guitar beginner who wants to be able to play silently on my headphones and with some youtube music in the background.

Trying different virtual amplifier types etc… is just the icing on the cake. 

On 2/26/2022 at 10:42 AM, Tonymf said:

At the moment I am a just guitar beginner who wants to be able to play silently on my headphones and with some youtube music in the background.

Trying different virtual amplifier types etc… is just the icing on the cake. 

Easy to do!

Once you've installed HX Edit to your system which will install any necessary drivers and more, HX Edit will prompt you if an updates are available for HX Edit and your HX Stomp's firmware. Thereafter, you do not need to have HX Edit running while using your HX Stomp with your PC. 

As soon as I connect my HX Stomp via USB to either of my Laptops and power on the HX Stomp, the PC audio is automatically routed to the Stomp. I typically find it more convenient to use the Stomp's physical Volume Output knob to adjust the audio level I hear through my headphones connected to the HX Stomp. Alternatively, the PC's volume level or YouTube's volume adjustments may be used if you want to reach for those controls rather than the Stomp's.  

39 minutes ago, MusicLaw said:

Easy to do!

Once you've installed HX Edit to your system which will install any necessary drivers and more, HX Edit will prompt you if an updates are available for HX Edit and your HX Stomp's firmware. Thereafter, you do not need to have HX Edit running while using your HX Stomp with your PC. 

As soon as I connect my HX Stomp via USB to either of my Laptops and power on the HX Stomp, the PC audio is automatically routed to the Stomp. I typically find it more convenient to use the Stomp's physical Volume Output knob to adjust the audio level I hear through my headphones connected to the HX Stomp. Alternatively, the PC's volume level or YouTube's volume adjustments may be used if you want to reach for those controls rather than the Stomp's.  

And I was thinking that the only way to get any Youtube etc.....to my headphones was to connect an iPhone or iPad to the "Return/ Aux-in" on the right side of the HX Stomp.

I did not think of the possibility to use the USB connection from a PC (I suppose that it should work also if this is coming from a iphone/ iPad) to the HX Stomp (very new to all this).

And same for me, I also want to use the physical volume knob for the volume on my headphones. 

2 minutes ago, soundog said:

The Stomp manual has a good section on USB audio routing. Once you get it figured out, it's very flexible. And, yes, you can get your USB audio via an iPhone or iPad with a Camera Connection Kit.

Sounds good! 

So either via "USB" or via the "Return/ Aux-in".

.....and now that I have ditched my small Fender tube amp, I have to figure out which FRFR, Amps etc..I need to get to have a good tube-like sound in my living room....

There are loads of choices. It all depends on your proximity to the speaker(s), and the SPL you want to achieve in your living room. Anything from a Yamaha THR (battery powered if you want to use it standalone in your backyard or as a powered stereo boom with your HX Stomp), to a pair of small (ik Multimedia iLoud) to 5" or 8" medium Studio Monitors, to a pair of small 8" or 10" FRFR monitors, to a full amp. 

FWIW, I've got a THR10c (battery powered) which works great with my HX Stomp or HX Floor when positioned typically within arm's reach (i.e. ultra near field). I also have JBL LSR305 and LSR308 Studio Monitors with the LSR310 Sub, which I use near field. For higher SPLs, I have a pair of Yamaha DXR10 FRFR, and two Fender Mustang Amps I'll sometimes use as Powered Cab via their Line In jacks if I want an Amp In The Room result.

Overall, I strive for more of a well engineered produced sonic result rather than a raw sound. With the HX Stomp or Floor, I can achieve exactly what I want and thoroughly enjoy the results. With any of this equipment, there was and continues to be a learning and discovery process which I thoroughly enjoy. YMMV. 

38 minutes ago, Tonymf said:

I am really in the fence between going the modeller way (like HX Stomp + L6 Powercab) or just getting - for the simplicity - a Fender Solid State amp that replicates well a tube amp.

That’s great if you only ever want to use the limited amount of stuff in the Fender amp. The advantage of the HX Stomp, is not only do you get the option of modelled classic tube amps (Fender, Marshall, Vox, Hiwatt, Mesa), it also has boutique and even some that don’t exist in the real world (Badonk, Ventoux), plus Bass amps, alongside a multitude of fantastic effects, still being added to (free) after almost 7years.

You can playback your backing tracks from YouTube via USB to your headphones, or powered monitors/Powercab

What are you waiting for?

12 minutes ago, datacommando said:

That’s great if you only ever want to use the limited amount of stuff in the Fender amp. The advantage of the HX Stomp, is not only do you get the option of modelled classic tube amps (Fender, Marshall, Vox, Hiwatt, Mesa), it also has boutique and even some that don’t exist in the real world (Badonk, Ventoux), plus Bass amps, alongside a multitude of fantastic effects. 

You can playback your backing tracks from YouTube via USB to your headphones, or powered monitors/Powercab

What are you waiting for?

Yes that was indeed my intention ....

However I encountered some possible problems:

- some reviews mentioned that the feeling of a real guitar tube amp is not really transmitted with the L6 Powercab

- Other reviews suggest that the best way to enjoy the L6 powercab is to get a LT (or floor).

- some people mentioned that the HX Stomp headphone amp is to weak and the the LT (or Helix) is much better.

The LT (or Helix) is however just too much (money and features) for me as a beginner I have to admit.

And I don't want to buy this combo and realize that the sound out of the HX Stomp/ L6 Powercab is not that good.

I suppose this is a first world problem however ...LOL

6 minutes ago, Tonymf said:

However I encountered some possible problems:

- some reviews mentioned that the feeling of a real guitar tube amp is not really transmitted with the L6 Powercab

- Other reviews suggest that the best way to enjoy the L6 powercab is to get a LT (or floor).

- some people mentioned that the HX Stomp headphone amp is to weak and the the LT (or Helix) is much better.

Sorry, it took me a while to stop laughing at these perceived “problems”.

First up - if you are looking for the trouser flapping moving of air that you experience with a tube amp and stack in a room, that ain’t gonna happen with any modelling system. If you want that buy a Marshall stack. Having said that, if you have ever been in a studio control room listening to a fully produced guitar signal (in stereo), then that is what you will get from a digital modelling unit. Therefore, you also need to consider you will not be able to create Motörhead levels in your bedroom with a tube amp unless you have very understanding neighbours, but you can “virtually” with modelling technology - you did start this thread with “in order to play my guitar silently at home while listening at the same time to some background music etc.. from my iPad/ iPhone, all this on my IEM earphones or audiophile headphones.”  

Second - Why would you need a Helix Floor, or LT to use a Powercab? There are thousand of users out in the real world that seem to manage just fine. The firmware that is the HX engine is identical throughout the range of units, the main difference is the “big” Helix units have twice the DSP, plus more in/out options, and can create more complex signal paths - the tone is the same.

Third - The discussion about headphones has been done to death many times over in this and other forums. I don’t know what else I can add that hasn’t already been said, other than, take care when using headphones at high volume - your ears may bleed.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

6 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Sorry, it took me a while to stop laughing at these perceived “problems”.

First up - if you are looking for the trouser flapping moving of air that you experience with a tube amp and stack in a room, that ain’t gonna happen with any modelling system. If you want that buy a Marshall stack. Having said that, if you have ever been in a studio control room listening to a fully produced guitar signal (in stereo), then that is what you will get from a digital modelling unit. Therefore, you also need to consider you will not be able to create Motörhead levels in your bedroom with a tube amp unless you have very understanding neighbours, but you can “virtually” with modelling technology - you did start this thread with “in order to play my guitar silently at home while listening at the same time to some background music etc.. from my iPad/ iPhone, all this on my IEM earphones or audiophile headphones.”  

Second - Why would you need a Helix Floor, or LT to use a Powercab? There are thousand of users out in the real world that seem to manage just fine. The firmware that is the HX engine is identical throughout the range of units, the main difference is the “big” Helix units have twice the DSP, plus more in/out options, and can create more complex signal paths - the tone is the same.

Third - The discussion about headphones has been done to death many times over in this and other forums. I don’t know what else I can add that hasn’t already been said, other than, take care when using headphones at high volume - your ears may bleed.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Thanks for the good feedback! Really appreciate as a beginner and newbie to all this!

That makes sense indeed.

I like a good tone and feeling the air moving but not Motörhead, heavy metal etc...So that is fine with me indeed.

I will get the HX Stomp for my headphones/ IEM so that I can also start to learn all this stuff and will also get then the L6 Powercab 112+.

Thanks again!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tonymf said:

Thanks for the good feedback! Really appreciate as a beginner and newbie to all this!

That makes sense indeed.

I like a good tone and feeling the air moving but not Motörhead, heavy metal etc...So that is fine with me indeed.

I will get the HX Stomp for my headphones/ IEM so that I can also start to learn all this stuff and will also get then the L6 Powercab 112+.

Thanks again!

No problem,

Motörhead was thrown in there as a point of reference purely for volume.

If you like good tone, watch this young man running through the latest reverbs added to the 3.15 firmware on an HX Stomp.

Enjoy!

Motörhead was a good reminder for me that I am looking for heavy metal, 70s British Rock etc....

Hence my concern was not really relevant! Thanks. That helped.

(and absolutely nothing against Motörhead etc...there is a style of music for everyone!)

• Upvote 1