Jump to content

Which SS amp for bedroom level/ home use?


Tonymf
 Share

Recommended Posts

I would like to purchase a very good amp for bedroom level/ home use (in combination with a HX Stomp and a Gibson Les Paul Studio). Budget is max $1700.

 

But not a tube amp due to the hum/ ground noise that bugs me (I had a Fender ‘68 Custom Vibro Champ Reverb that I just returned for that reason. The tone quality was however very nice.)

 

Which amp would you recommend?

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The new Catalyst amps have a .5 watt setting. Get the 100watt version for MIDI control.

Boss Katana also has a .5 watt setting. Get the 100 MKII version for MIDI connectivity and power amp/FX Loop flexibility.

If you're not planning to ever play out just get a quality set of powered studio monitors.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.amazon.com/MOOER-Baby-Bomb-Micro-Power/

+

https://www.amazon.com/Marshall-Amps-Amplifier-Cabinet-M-MX112R-U

 

I'm a user of the Mooer baby bomb amplifier.  It looks ridiculous because it's tiny.  But it sounds awesome, and is solid state.  It became my stage setup: running my Helix through it into a combo amp's speaker cabinet. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well $1700 is my max budget. I only play at home hence also the bigger budget for me.

 

And I am absolutely new to this whole world of modelling to be very honest!

 

My intention is to use the HX Stomp to have a nice sound when playing with headphones (instead of the Boss Pocket GT that I used so far) and to use it to get also a nice full sound on some speaker/ amp in the living room, kitchen or bedroom. Ideally a nice sound similar as a good tube amp. At the moment I am looking at the Line 6 Powercab 112+ (or maybe the 212+ if it is worth it) in order to simulate some good old Fender tube amps. The other route would be to use a Fender Tone Master that digitally also simulates some old good Fender tube amp. But using it, it will not mix well with the HX Stomp if I am correct as it is not a "neutral" amp, right ??

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, pianoguyy said:

You are running a modeler. Why not go for some kind of FRFR type of deal. 

 

While now discounted, I've been using a Laney IRT-X FRFR powered speaker at home with my HX Stomp (and previously an Atomic Amplifire) and had no problems getting a nice sound at any volume. It cost me £330 GBP back in 2017 so that's less than a third of your $1700 budget.

 

This is assuming you'll be getting all of your tones from the modeller and only using the amp to attenutate the room volume, of course. The good thing about an FRFR speaker is that you'll be able to put your delays/reverbs after your cab block for that studio processed sound or build an "amp in the room" patch.

 

They have updated their range since I bought mine with a 1x12 and 2x12 configuration that are £360 and £450 at the minute here in the UK

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, benriddell said:

 

While now discounted, I've been using a Laney IRT-X FRFR powered speaker at home with my HX Stomp (and previously an Atomic Amplifire) and had no problems getting a nice sound at any volume. It cost me £330 GBP back in 2017 so that's less than a third of your $1700 budget.

 

This is assuming you'll be getting all of your tones from the modeller and only using the amp to attenutate the room volume, of course. The good thing about an FRFR speaker is that you'll be able to put your delays/reverbs after your cab block for that studio processed sound or build an "amp in the room" patch.

 

They have updated their range since I bought mine with a 1x12 and 2x12 configuration that are £360 and £450 at the minute here in the UK

 

Thanks!

They are indeed good alternatives to the Line 6 Powercabs that I am looking at currently:

https://line6.com/powercab/

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For bedroom use, most amps, cabs, FRFR solutions are going to  be overkill.  A good set of studio monitors would be "Best".   But investing in a good powered cabinet may give your many years of use.  And who knows you might want to play outside of the bedroom?   The HX Stomp will some day be replaced by something else you want to use, but a good Powered Speaker or analog amp/FRFR will be useful far longer.   I have JBL Monitors, HeadRush FRFR 112 and PowerCab112+, and they all provide good output for a small room.  Even my tube amps when integrated with my Helix sound great in a small room at low volume. 

 

A good hand wired analog tube amp will be useful and repairable far longer into the future than a digital modeling amp like the Catalyst or Katana, but they are fairly low cost to replace in the future.

 

This topic always results in options overload.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, bobcoss said:

For bedroom use, most amps, cabs, FRFR solutions are going to  be overkill.  A good set of studio monitors would be "Best".   But investing in a good powered cabinet may give your many years of use.  And who knows you might want to play outside of the bedroom?   The HX Stomp will some day be replaced by something else you want to use, but a good Powered Speaker or analog amp/FRFR will be useful far longer.   I have JBL Monitors, HeadRush FRFR 112 and PowerCab112+, and they all provide good output for a small room.  Even my tube amps when integrated with my Helix sound great in a small room at low volume. 

 

A good hand wired analog tube amp will be useful and repairable far longer into the future than a digital modeling amp like the Catalyst or Katana, but they are fairly low cost to replace in the future.

 

This topic always results in options overload.

I meant by bedroom level also living room level. I had a 5 Watt tube amp and I used it at 3, max 4, out of 10. I did like the „warm and full“ tone of it. At the moment I tend to go for a HX Stomp/ Powercab 112+ solution. I am also looking at the Helix LT/ floor for its ability to use 2 guitars (my wife just decided to learn acoustic guitar) but I suppose that until I need the second input the market for modelers will have new products etc….  

 

Which modeler do you use?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Tonymf said:

At the moment I tend to go for a HX Stomp/ Powercab 112+ solution. I am also looking at the Helix LT/ floor 

 

Which modeler do you use?

 

You won't go wrong purchasing a Stomp or HX LT or Floor.    I am primarily using the Helix Floor with a line 6 link cable to the powercabs 112+.   One powercab can get very loud.  It will hang well with a loud drummer at my practice venue.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, pianoguyy said:

 

 

And a $20 set of computer speakers. 

 

4 hours ago, MGW-Alberta said:

If SPL is a concern, such as in a domestic situation, then why use an amplifier at all?

Use the headphone jack.  That's what it's there for.

Done.

 

Good advice guys! LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, bobcoss said:

You won't go wrong purchasing a Stomp or HX LT or Floor.    I am primarily using the Helix Floor with a line 6 link cable to the powercabs 112+.   One powercab can get very loud.  It will hang well with a loud drummer at my practice venue.

 

 

 

The L6 link cable would be one reason I would go for the Floor and also having a separate volume knob for the headphones.

It seems also that the headphone amp is better than the one in the HX Stomp.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...