Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dual Powercab 112 for Optimal Stereo Separation?

Muiren

I am speculating on the use of a Powercab 112+ with a second Powercab 112 for more enhanced stereo separation in complement with XLR Stereo Out for the house, and would like to hear from anyone else that has experimented with using stereo amp configurations.

What follows is based on using two standard analog amp + speaker combinations. 

While this can benefit typical spatial, modulation, time delay effects stereo imaging, my greater priority is use of expression pedals to morph from one timbral effect to another, smoothly across time and space. This will sometimes be morphing from a mono center to a shocking contrast in stereo as well as the movement of one mono timbre to an added or different effect across space.

Though the effects possible at the time were much simpler, I personally attended Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, Yes, and Emerson, lake, and Palmer concerts where experiments with stereo sound were very effective, noticed and discussed for a long time afterwards. While most progressive made use of stereo separation on albums it was Jimi Hendrix use on Electric Ladyland that had a huge impact on me on a more visceral level with his bouncing distorted echo from one speaker to another while also changing the effects used on it.

Since I extensively use MIDI Guitar controllers, a more contemporary example s Arturia Pigments soft synth which lets me morph between distinctly different engines and filters, or morph from two version of a sound, from a straight to an arpeggiated version of that sound. Then there is the Arturia PolyBrute analog synth's polyphonic morphing ability where within a preset you can smoothly flex from one complex timbre to a radically different one.

I use HX Stomp multi effects and Powercab Modelling to sculpt the feel and sound out of synthesizers to make them more recognizably guitar-like in expression.

I have two Powercab 112+ that are sitting about a foot apart in my office.  I get nice separation from them.  I could separate them further but haven't gotten around to it.   They are a good option for what you want to do.

• Like 1

I have a 6 foot long oak bench behind my desk with one PC112+ on each end connected via line6 link.  Works and sounds great.  Using patches to get washy stereo delays with lush reverb, it's very satisfying..  When I finally get around to rearranging my office, I'll put one on each side of my desk to get more separation 

• Like 1