Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX native w/ HX Stomp ?

Tonymf

Hi,

Short question from a newbie to this all world of modelling etc......

I used to have a tube amp but now I am going to get a HX Stomp and a FRFR system (Powercab 112+).

Now looking at all the possibilities I am wondering what are the advantages to use the Helix Native additionally to the HX Stomp?

I have a Mac and therefore Garageband on it (not sure if this is something necessary)

Is it just that I can use or create all kind of effects etc...in a more easier way than on the HX Stomp? And maybe transfer these effects to the HX Stomp?

Sorry for the newbie question but I try to understand all this very new world for me....

12 hours ago, Tonymf said:

Hi,

Short question from a newbie to this all world of modelling etc......

I used to have a tube amp but now I am going to get a HX Stomp and a FRFR system (Powercab 112+).

Now looking at all the possibilities I am wondering what are the advantages to use the Helix Native additionally to the HX Stomp?

I have a Mac and therefore Garageband on it (not sure if this is something necessary)

Is it just that I can use or create all kind of effects etc...in a more easier way than on the HX Stomp? And maybe transfer these effects to the HX Stomp?

Sorry for the newbie question but I try to understand all this very new world for me....

Hi, again,

Well, you sure are excitable aren’t you? This could either be a case of “running before you can walk”, or “running with scissors”.

O.K. Here we go - strap in!

If/when you buy and register your HX Stomp, you will be eligible to buy Helix Native at the discount price of $99.99.

Helix Native is the software brain that runs all the HX family of products, only this version is packaged as a plug-in for a Digital Audio Workstation in AU, VST 3 and AAX format. As you have a Mac and GarageBand it loads as an audio units component and then should work just as other plug-ins do.

The big difference between Native, and the HX Stomp, is that Native can function as a full blown Helix floor, LT, or rack, allowing access to all four signal paths. In fact it can create some patches that would not be possible in the hardware, because it is only limited by the processing power of your computer. You could make presets that would not work in your Stomp. It also very handy for re-amping your recorded audio. BUT, (notice how big that but is!) you can achieve the same re-amping by using your Stomp only. Also, I know people are using it with GarageBand (I do have that option myself) and you can get familiar with it that way, but it is  probably aimed more at regular studio users. I have no idea how much experience you have working with a DAW, but having read your other posts, I guess you are not really rigged up for home studio recording as you don’t mention any reference monitors. I use Native on an almost daily basis in Logic Pro, along with a Helix floor unit - yes, I’m a “studio rat”. 

The bottom line is basically, if you can afford to pick up a copy of Native for the discount price, then get it and try it, but be prepared for an even more steep learning curve than the one you’re about to hit with the HX Stomp. Watch this video for a primer.

Also, read these:

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a4179ea61fd2e9472da7/application/pdf/Helix Native 3.15 Pilot's Guide - English .pdf

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a418962611d636e7c51b/application/pdf/HX Stomp 3.0 Owner's Manual - Rev D - English .pdf

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 1

LOL......When I do something I am all in!

I have zero experience with recording, DAW etc...as I am coming from a very different world in terms of education and work experience etc....but this whole new world to me (playing an instrument and modelling etc...) seems very exiting indeed. I can't wait to get into learning all these things! 

Thanks for the feedback! Really appreciate!

I will definitely get the HX Native.

Thanks again!

• Upvote 1

For OSX you can use MainStage or something like GigPerformer to run Native live. If you are new to running plugins and audio interfaces don't do it live. I am very experienced and I've gone down this road a bit. Helix Native is amazing for recording, but running live for most people complicates the setup beyond what it adds in value. I would use my HX Stomp (I have Stomp, Floor and Native) and max out that first. If that doesn't do what you want then try the other solutions. The HX Stomp + a few external pedals is really versatile.  Note: You can share patches between Helix Native and Stomp (if they respect the DSP/Block limits). 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2022 at 7:34 AM, mgamache said:

For OSX you can use MainStage or something like GigPerformer to run Native live. If you are new to running plugins and audio interfaces don't do it live. I am very experienced and I've gone down this road a bit. Helix Native is amazing for recording, but running live for most people complicates the setup beyond what it adds in value. I would use my HX Stomp (I have Stomp, Floor and Native) and max out that first. If that doesn't do what you want then try the other solutions. The HX Stomp + a few external pedals is really versatile.  Note: You can share patches between Helix Native and Stomp (if they respect the DSP/Block limits). 

thanks my issue has been fixed.