Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Switch under the foot pedal is hard to push, any way to make it easier to push?

Kethav

Hi,

I own a new Helix Floor and I found that switch under the expression pedal (the one used often to switch from EXP1 to EXP2) is a bit too stiff.

When I play when sitted on a chair I'm not able to apply enough force with my foot on the pedal. So If I want to switch from EXP1 to EXP2 I have to raise up from the chair and push it down but it is very uncomfortable.

I'm guessing if there's a way to make that switch easier to push...  anyone has ideas?

Thank you!!

Be sure to have the unit on a solid surface, not a rug. I use a cheap bookshelf I got at Home Depot for a couple of bucks.

Other than that, just play a lot. It does get easier over time.

• Like 1

Kind of related to this issue, I have my floor Helix off the floor and that makes it impossible to engage the footswitch under the expression pedal (try it). The way it's setup, I can't apply enough pressure to engage it. I cannot for the life of me, figure out how to switch from EXP 1 to EXP 2 from HX Edit. I can turn on and off the blocks they control (usually vol and wah), but I cannot switch to the EXP 1 or 2 I need to control it.  Does anyone know how to do this? I suspect it's easy and I'm just not getting it.

25 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

Kind of related to this issue, I have my floor Helix off the floor and that makes it impossible to engage the footswitch under the expression pedal (try it). The way it's setup, I can't apply enough pressure to engage it. I cannot for the life of me, figure out how to switch from EXP 1 to EXP 2 from HX Edit. I can turn on and off the blocks they control (usually vol and wah), but I cannot switch to the EXP 1 or 2 I need to control it.  Does anyone know how to do this? I suspect it's easy and I'm just not getting it.

The only other way to do it is with MIDI. You can emulate the EXP toe switch with CC#59.

For desktop Helix Floor use, it sure would be handy if the switch under the Exp Pedal were easily Controller Re-Assignable to one of the normal Footswitches! I haven't thought it about it much, nor attempted to do so -- until right now. Going by Phil_m's and the other responses in this thread, it would seem that aside from the MIDI command, there is no existing easy method to do so.

I actually have it on one of these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RXN6XI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I highly recommend it. It fits perfectly. I did have to ever so slightly, bend the side tabs out just a touch, which i just did with my hands, just so it wouldn't rub against the sides of the Helix. Regarding the EXP footswitch, there is no way I can apply enough pressure to engage that switch using that stand. On a table top maybe but it almost toppled over when I tried to when it was on the stand.

17 hours ago, phil_m said:

The only other way to do it is with MIDI. You can emulate the EXP toe switch with CC#59.

Hi phil_m I asked something related In an old post. How could know what CC# are assigned to helix floor switches, commands, parameters? There's somewhere a cc# map?

Sorry for my off topic.

About toe switch, any suggestions (did somebody find a simple mechanical way to push It easily?)

1 hour ago, pierpatrip said:

Hi phil_m I asked something related In an old post. How could know what CC# are assigned to helix floor switches, commands, parameters? There's somewhere a cc# map?

Sorry for my off topic.

About toe switch, any suggestions (did somebody find a simple mechanical way to push It easily?)

The MIDI map for the fixed MIDI items is in the manual. As far as parameters and blocks, those can be assigned to whatever CC you want.

Or, don't use the switch at all... use EXP 2 for everything.  I do that and it works for me personally. 

1. Engage wah / volume / anything else per snapshot.

or

2. Engage blocks using the threshold value. 

So applications I have:

* If I have the wah throught the song, then it's automatically engaged past 5% for example.

* I time the "turn off" time per song.  Sometimes it's immediately, sometimes after 300 ms, 500 ms, whatever the song needs

* If the wah is only for the solo section, then I have a "wah solo" snapshot

* I have a kitchen sink preset where depending on the snapshot, the EXP 2 controls: vibrato, delay, freeze, EQ, filter sweep.

So in short my band has a lot of trick sounds, I never ever feel the need to have the wah pedal be switchable/clickable.  As a matter of fact, before the Helix I was a Bad Horsie user.  The main selling point is that it did not have a switch.