Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is there a WIKI for Helix?

Salsguitar

the Manual leaves a LOT to be desired.
Perhhaps it's in there and I just can't find it.
But, in the verison I have (my unit came with no manual so I had to get it online...I assume the one for Helix 3 is the right one?

No info on expression pedals as far as calibrating them....the current volume pedal, attached to Exp 2...MIDWAY is 100%...Toe down..0
Toe up  0....50% is 100%...and I can find NOTHING in this manual for it.

6 minutes ago, Salsguitar said:

Toe up  0....50% is 100%...and I can find NOTHING in this manual for it.

This phenomenon goes way back - check this, just one of many, many posts about this.

https://line6.com/support/topic/19919-expression-pedal-issue-goes-0-100-0/

Hope this helps/makes sense.

20 minutes ago, Salsguitar said:

Since it also seems I have to get Mission pedals made FOR HELIX?

No, not necessarily so.

I’m a cheapskate and bought a couple of the M-Audio EX-P pedals and stuck them into the EXP 2 and 3 sockets on the rear of my Helix floor. Works a treat and had them for several years (I even use 3rd one on my master MIDI keyboard). It know the cheapo pedal is tough plastic and the Mission units are cast metal, but the thing is still only a variable resistor moved by a treadle. I could buy 10 M-Audio pedals for the price of one Mission.

You could live dangerously and take a soldering iron to the ones you already own.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

https://m-audio.com/products/view/ex-p

Edited by datacommando
Added link

There are indeed many posts about this.  You don't need to sell or replace or solder the pedal!  The problem stems from the fact that the Helix (at least my HX-Effects, and I think the Helix is the same) needs a TS connection and many pedals are TRS.  You can change the wiring of the pedal, but it's much easier to get a cheap adapter cable.

My pedals (a Moog and a Valeton) work with a TRS in the Exp-2 plug of my HX-FX, but in exp-1 they need a TRS-TS. With either a TS or a TRS patch cord I get exactly the same 0-100-0 behavior that you describe. So, in exp-1 I use one of these Y cables. Use a short TRS cord from pedal to Y female jack, then the tip plug of the Y into the HXFX, with the ring plug hanging loose, or cut off. Or, you could cut the ring wire on a TRS cable.

That's right, that's why you need the Y adapter, or a special cord.  The pedal wants a TRS plug, and the Helix a TS.  So, you can use a TRS cord with the R (ring) wire cut, or you can use an unmodified TRS cord from pedal to the Y that I mentioned above, and then just plug the tip wire into the Helix.  Either of those options will satisfy both units.  A straight, unmodified cord, either TS or TRS, won't work because it will fake out one or the other.

Everytime I stumble on these threads, I see a lot of overthinking.

You just need a standard TS/TS cable, remove one of the two jacks, and solder a TRS jack, just leaving the ring alone. Tip to Tip, Sleeve to Sleeve. Then TRS jack goes into your pedal, and TS goes into the Helix EXP port. That's it.

• Upvote 1

LOL Well, I alread ordered the Breakout Y connectors. so, same same but will work.
It never ends no matter who the maker is.
Fractal has proprietary plugs. Helix has proprietary plugs or jacks.
Just stupid...Cuz everyone knows a LIGHTNING connector is far better than a USB-c...lol.....