Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Recording Helix rack and Powercab+ 112

Johan_N

If I record a signal from my helix rig straight into my DAW (no mics) and I want the benefit of the speaker cone modulations in the Powercab, do I have to take the signal from the XLR out on the Powercab or do I get an identical signal from the XLR out on the helix itself (or S/PDIF out, only digital)? I would like to try to avoid running a cable from the Powercab to the AI unless necessary.

1 hour ago, Johan_N said:

If I record a signal from my helix rig straight into my DAW (no mics) and I want the benefit of the speaker cone modulations in the Powercab, do I have to take the signal from the XLR out on the Powercab or do I get an identical signal from the XLR out on the helix itself (or S/PDIF out, only digital)? I would like to try to avoid running a cable from the Powercab to the AI unless necessary.

You'll need to take the signal from the Powercab XLR or use the Powercab as AI for that track and take the USB signal.

This exercise is really rather pointless, as neither the XLR nor the USB signal sounds like the actual speaker emulations. The only way to get that is the old-fashioned way, with a microphone, at which point you might as well just take the signal from Helix and apply an IR at your leisure in post.