Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Early JTV-69 vs late JTV-69

Are there any difference between the first JTV Variaxes vs those last ones in terms of quality and firmware (I guess the latter shouldn't be an issue as you should be able to upgrade all the way)? I have come across a used JTV-69 from 2010 so think I will go ahead if it's no issues buying those first batches. I have already a 700 but can't use Workbench now as the old Workbench is not compatible with Win 10 and I think the acoustic sounds are slightly better on the JTV as well (+ look of course). Other considerations?

On 3/4/2022 at 11:21 AM, magnusf27 said:

Other considerations?

Only that it's an 12-ish year old product at this point, for which there have been no updates of any significance since 2014 or so. Stand by for someone to chime in with "there have been more recent updates than that!"... and while technically true, they've only been minor bug fixes, and the addressing of compatibility issues with Workbench for the Standards, which were introduced later. In terms of modeled sounds or functionality, there's been nothing genuinely new in Variax Land for nearly 8 years (an eternity in today's techno-world), so the current versions are clearly no longer being developed. Smart money says that the next iteration, whatever it may be, is probably not far off... exactly when is anybody's guess, of course.

14 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

Only that it's an 12-ish year old at this point that has seen no updates of any significance since 2014 or so. Stand by for someone to chime in with "there have been more recent updates than that!"... but they've only been minor bug fixes, and addressing compatibility issues with Workbench for the Standards, which were introduced later. There's been nothing genuinely new in Variax Land for nearly 8 years. Smart says that the next iteration, whatever it may be, is probably not far off... exactly when is anybody's guess, of course.

Thanks a lot for the input I suspected something like this as well and I don't think I'll buy the a new Variax or whatever a future similar guitar will be called,  as it's really a bit to splash out, even for an used one, for a concept you already own and only for the luxury of being able to use the Workbench and slightly better acoustic sounds which after will you will not be able to hear the difference in a mix. Of course the playability also favours the JTV slightly though as far as I can figure out.

-No portability of Models between old and current Variax.

-May have a 1st generation bridge, so be certain there is a tremolo bar with it, as there are no more replacements.

Gave the last one to Sinbad. Current bridge is 3rd generation, a change in how the piezo cable is routed to the main board.

-Current fret end dressing spec was implemented in 2012.

-Firmware updated,... after v2.00 it became HD series of product compatible, so it communicates more smoothly with HD products.

-Main board version was updated for hardware in 2012.

Have a JTV-69 from 2010 myself, and it's been just fine, no problems. Keep it maintained and Firmware up to date, it's great.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, psarkissian said:

-No of Models between old and current Variax.

-May have a 1st generation bridge, so be certain there is a tremolo bar with it, as there are no more replacements.

Gave the last one to Sinbad. Current bridge is 3rd generation, in how the piezo cable is routed to the main board.

-Current fret end dressing spec was implemented in 2012.

-Firmware updated,... after v2.00 it became HD series of compatible, so it communicates more smoothly with HD products.

-Main board version was updated for hardware in 2012.

Have a JTV-69 from 2010 myself, and it's been just fine, no problems. Keep it maintained and Firmware up to date, it's great.

Great input this thanks a lot. Especially the tremolo bar point would for sure never have asked about it if not for this :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There may be some differences between the first JTV Variax guitars and later models in terms of quality and firmware. However, it is worth noting that the JTV Variax line has been discontinued by Line6, the manufacturer. It is possible that firmware updates are no longer being released, and older models may not be compatible with newer software or operating systems. The quality of the guitar itself may also be affected by age and wear and tear.

On 1/23/2023 at 3:21 AM, catherine7542wil said:

There may be some differences between the first JTV Variax guitars and later models in terms of quality and firmware. However, it is worth noting that the JTV Variax line has been discontinued by Line6, the manufacturer. It is possible that firmware updates are no longer being released, and older models may not be compatible with newer software or operating systems. The quality of the guitar itself may also be affected by age and wear and tear.

I'm really sure they have not been discontinued. They are just hard to get. Partly because of all of the shipping issues these days. It has been described as a passion of the heart or something like that by a Line 6 rep. I can't remember who. So it sounds like they are not flying off of the shelves but Line 6 is still cranking them out.