Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500 vs Helix (LT) for onstage visiblilty

eenymason

Hi to any HD500(X) users that have upgraded to Helix (LT),

Opinions please!

I'm having to admit that I'm getting old when I'm having issues seeing patch numbers, and footswitch type gifs when using the HD500 - I'm wondering about improved onstage visibility in the Helix, and specifically Helix LT. I believe I'll buy an LT version of Helix, mainly because of price, but also, I just won't need most of the options included in the full version, except (maybe) the screen.

Have you found the LT screen to be enough for clear visibility onstage, or is the full version's screen where it's at for you?

Please throw your ideas at me!

Thank you in advance for at least reading my query...

Not a LT user but a full Helix user, and love the scribble strips etc, and moved from a HD500x. No comparison on sound and 'feel' - I was sold when I demoed it in a store and haven't looked back.

I have tried a LT and considering one for a back-up, and TBH I really didn't like the expression pedal feel. The throw is short and just felt hmmm wrong to me.

If you can, I would suggest trying before buying.

I'm also an 'old' dude :).

• Like 1

I'm completely with you with my failing eyesight.  I generally need my readers for more intricate editing operations on my Floor unit, but I don't need glasses at all to see the scribble scripts when performing.  I can't answer for the LT but I would assume there would be at least one of the display modes that would work for you.

• Like 1

Helix LT has a screen 4 times the size of HD 500 X. 

To me: Helix Floor is fantastic for a dark stage, or any indoor shows.  I recently played a gig where they decided to have "fun" with the lights and smoke on stage.  I have glowing side dots on my guitar and the Helix Floor's scribble strips saved me.

But outdoors, the scribble strips are hard to read, and it's not clear if you engaged a specific snapshot or not.  That's why LT's virtual scribble strips work better -- the colors are inverted and you can see if something is engaged or not. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, eenymason said:

I'm having to admit that I'm getting old when I'm having issues seeing patch numbers, and footswitch type gifs when using the HD500 - I'm wondering about improved onstage visibility in the Helix, and specifically Helix LT. I believe I'll buy an LT version of Helix, mainly because of price, but also, I just won't need most of the options included in the full version, except (maybe) the screen.

There is no comparison between the two screens. The LT is much larger & clearer and much of the function is in color with high resolution. Admittedly, I still need readers on occasion when editing, but I also need them in front of a computer screen. 

When it comes time to play... the LT has something called performance view that I don't think can get any clearer. I actually prefer performance view on the LT over the scribble strips found on a Helix floor, but that just my opinion. 

Thanks everyone who's commented, for confirming what I thought may be the case, (mainly that the Pod HD screen is old tech now, and pretty useless to anyone with glasses), and also for ideas I hadn't even considered....

Fun fact - it wasn't until I searched a little further for specs, that I found out the screens on LT, and the full Helix are the same size - I wrongly assumed the LT would be smaller!!

Thanks again guys!