Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G10 Range

rexpjesky

I have two G10 units.  I am very unhappy with them.  They have no range.  If there is any obstruction at all, they cut out.  That is, if I walk around such that a PA speaker is between me and the receiver, it cuts out.  I have cheap 30 dollar generic wireless that I can go outside and walk down the street and still play.  Also, there is horrible noise when using the distorted channel.   Is this just how these units are?  I expected quite a bit more for 180 bucks.  

I don’t think this is a “plug it in for 10 seconds” issue.  As it works ok but just will not go through the ordinary stuff that is on a stage.  

Depends if the wifi is busy in that area. G10, and even worse G10S, are very picky with wifi and if there are lot of devices spreading their own 2.4Ghz in the same or adiacent/overlapping channels, they will work erratic as you described.

Problems is nowadays wifi is a busy mess almost everywhere so these things arent really realiable. 

It's best if you can keep the transmitter and receiver within the line of sight of each other, as it mentions in the manual, but certain obstructions shouldn't be a huge issue.

I'm more puzzled with the distortion comment. There shouldn't be any additional noise with a distorted amp or pedal. I use mine with high gain sounds all the time... What sort of guitar are you using? Does it have active pickups?

14 hours ago, phil_m said:

There shouldn't be any additional noise with a distorted amp or pedal. I use mine with high gain sounds all the time... What sort of guitar are you using? Does it have active pickups?

If I don't use its own G10S PS (also plugged in a different socket than main rig), I do also get a terrible pulsing noise. And that's with a Zuma, one of the most silent power supply in the market. The G10S seems it needs to be plugged into a different socket than other stuff. At least this happens to me, and only happens with this device.

3 hours ago, PierM said:

If I don't use its own G10S PS (also plugged in a different socket than main rig), I do also get a terrible pulsing noise. And that's with a Zuma, one of the most silent power supply in the market. The G10S seems it needs to be plugged into a different socket than other stuff. At least this happens to me, and only happens with this device.

I use the Strymon Ojai to power both of my G10S receivers (two separate Ojai’s to be exact - one on a pedalboard, the other in my Helix rack case), and I’ve never had any issues with noise. Both Ojai’s are powering other pedals as well.

3 hours ago, phil_m said:

I use the Strymon Ojai to power both of my G10S receivers (two separate Ojai’s to be exact - one on a pedalboard, the other in my Helix rack case), and I’ve never had any issues with noise. Both Ojai’s are powering other pedals as well.

Lot of variables involved. When it's about a bunch of devices and pedals in the same room, with involved WiFi, EMI, RFI and currents, every scenario is different. What I know for sure is I only get these noise problems with G10S. It's funny as I bought a G10S exactly to have it in the pedalboard, instead my other G10 with USB power supply. Oh well, it is what it is. 

• 4 weeks later...

Are you using them at home?  I've been using a G10 for gigs since 2017 and never had an issue.  Range has been fine for a theatre-size stage and there's no cut out if I walk behind someone.  Never had interference issues either.  So I would say what you're experiencing is not normal, but perhaps there are too many wi-fi devices close by?  The G10 has 14 channels which it scans through.  The venues I'm playing have wi-fi but probably the routers are far enough away.