Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Updated to 3.15, now ProTools doesn't work

Kaintuck

I'm lost.....I've used my helix floor as an interface for ProTools 12 for a year or so.  i updated the firmware to 3.15  2 days ago, restored my backup, and now if I try to open up an old ProTools session, it tells me that ProTools cannot initialize the ASIO helix and that it's not configured properly, then it crashes.  I can create a new session in ProTools and the helix works just fine, so this makes no sense to me.  I downloaded the latest driver to no avail, I went back to 3.11, which was my firmware before, and that also didn't help.  Has anyone else run into this issue?

On 3/7/2022 at 3:23 PM, Kaintuck said:

I'm lost.....I've used my helix floor as an interface for ProTools 12 for a year or so.  i updated the firmware to 3.15  2 days ago, restored my backup, and now if I try to open up an old ProTools session, it tells me that ProTools cannot initialize the ASIO helix and that it's not configured properly, then it crashes.  I can create a new session in ProTools and the helix works just fine, so this makes no sense to me.  I downloaded the latest driver to no avail, I went back to 3.11, which was my firmware before, and that also didn't help.  Has anyone else run into this issue?

You say you restored your backup. Did you also do the factory preset before that by holding down footswitches 9&10 upon startup?  

I gotten that sorta thing with old projects in Sonar and Reaper with ASIO drivers (EMU mostly for me 10 years back). Basically, it seems like a driver update I did at some point changed the ASIO reference and the old project just points to nothing (has same name, just not there). You would likely have to rollback the driver, edit, usb fw also to the version it was at 3.11...That was usually what happened to me. I would forget something and the session would not match. I am not that concerned with exact recreation now, but if you are I think you have to move all facets of Helix back to the versions that correspond to fw 3.11...At that point, I would think the session should be exact and should open. just a thought.

It sounds like maybe Pro Tools isn't recognizing the driver, which relates to the playback engine settings. Hold down "N" while starting Pro Tools. This opens it in a sort of "safe mode" that bypasses the full startup. Then you can access the playback engine, and reset its settings. 

I also seem to recall that when using a non-Avid interface, the sample buffer needs to be a certain number...I forget the details, so don't quote me on this, but I think it had to be a multiple of 128 samples. 

Hope this helps!