Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Patches designed for acoustic guitar - your favorites? Or favorite settings?

tjbassoon

I look through Customtone and I find countless acoustic sim patches, designed for variax or electric guitars to attempt to sound like an acoustic guitar. But if I want to run my acoustic into the Helix and into a clean amp or FOH, there are very few presets designed for an actual acoustic guitar.

Do you have any favorites? Weeding through everything on customtone is.... numbing.

I dont do much for mine,

Compressor (just to help with attack sound, low attack and release settings, minimal gain boost to achieve unity when on)

Tube Preamp to warm up a bit

Chorus

Reverb

I'll add a cleanish OD after the the compressor to help with leads, and a delay before the reverb.  

This was all pre-3.15 and I havent revisited with the blocks that were just released to see if I can combine and make it simpler yet though.  

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, tjbassoon said:

Do you have any favorites?

Yep, see above post from “themetallkid”. Simplicity works best.

Studio Tube Pre-amp - LA Studio Compressor - Chorus - Delay - Reverb

I use this setup for my acoustics, one is fitted with a Fishman Blend System, and another with K&K Pure Systems transducers, plus the others (nylon string, tenor guitar, resonator, banjo, mandolin etc,) with condenser microphones.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

What themetallikid and datacommando said. I find I need to be careful with the Tube Pre-amp Gain I find it can cause unwanted distortion if you need to boost guitar input very much. I compensate by increasing the level of the Output block.

The two most important things: don’t use a guitar amp model, and don’t route the output to a guitar amp.

And if you’re willing to pay a bit you can get some well crafted acoustic tones including some custom IRs in the Helix Marketplace.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Same, although I don't use the preamp. Also, I played around with acoustic guitar IRs (3 Sigma and others) but never ended up liking them. Your guitar/pickup may sound better, though.

The other thing I always use for live gigs is a sound hole cover .... a big black rubber one that I think was made out of old stinky recycled tires. It really cuts down on feedback! Won't work for a sound hole pickup, though (Also, roll off the low end using Helix EQ as needed.)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I'll pile on.... 

The simplicity of the chains already posted will certainly do the trick. 

For me it's pretty simple.... 

Studio Pre > Parametric EQ > IR (optional... see below) > LA Studio Comp (lightly used) > Plate Reverb

The only place I get more complicated (certainly not required) is with some IR's...

I created IR's of my favorite Fishman Aura settings... I place those on Snapshots to simulate different microphones/positions to blend in with the piezo of my acoustic. EG: I might want a RCA 77 18" back for my rhythms, but an SM7 up close for flatpicking.  It kind of simulates "walking up the mic for a solo" like bluegrass pickers do. 

Although Richie is using a Variax standard for Acoustic tones.... I found this video quite helpful when I was first creating some acoustic presets with my Helix. 

• Upvote 1