Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Logic Pro X as a level meter?

lespool79

If I run the helix into an audio track in Logic Pro X and use a level meter would this be a good way to at least get presets to be close to each other?  I have the audio track blank so there isn't any processing going on.

If this is a decent way to meter, what dB do you think would be good to aim for?

43 minutes ago, lespool79 said:

If I run the helix into an audio track in Logic Pro X and use a level meter would this be a good way to at least get presets to be close to each other?

Yes, and no!

It will certainly give you a target level to reach and may serve as a good starting point, but that doesn't mean your presets will be balanced. Tones don't all behave/sound equal at equal levels, they need to be balanced by using your ears as the final judge. 

28 minutes ago, lespool79 said:

Absolutely.  I agree.  But I'm trying to get things close and I think this is my only hope.  I don't want all the presets wildly different and I'm targeting them all in the same DB range as the factory presets.  

You plan will get them close... 

There is a METER on the output block of the Helix as well... just in case you don't have the computer/logic around at all times. 

Use your Loudness Meter in Logic. It will get you close enough, then you can tweak by ear if needed. Use the Looper to play the same passage, using heavy handed full-string strums to set a peak, with you guitar volume levels set as high as you would typically use them. I'd aim for -10 LUFS. You are just setting levels relative to each other.

Signal meters are very useful at dialing in a consistent signal range across all your presets.  This is very handy when you go to record or play live in getting your signals gain staged at the mixing board consistently.  This is always my first step and then I make minor adjustments depending on the overall loudness in comparison across the presets.  I personally depend a lot on the built in signal meter and gain reduction meter on the Helix to get my signals consistent and generally target around 60% on the signal meter and mostly between 3 or 4 db of gain reduction.  That pretty much gets all of my presets in the same ballpark and only minor "finishing" adjustments after that.

I first primarily use the channel volume on the amp model for adjusting volume, then I move onto the output block rather than take the channel volume down too low.  Using a final compressor like an LA Compressor can be very useful at reducing the spikes in your signal levels so you can maintain more fullness in the body of the tone.  I pretty much gauge lead levels totally by ear but it typically maybe only needs 3 or 4 db increase if the tone is significantly different than your standard non-lead tone.  This keeps everyone happy including the guy that's running the mixing board.  Chances are if you're using a fairly strong overdriven tone you won't need much if any compression added to it.