Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can I Replace My Jtv69 Single Coil Pickup Covers?

Anything that requires pulling up the pick-guard assembly should only be done

by an authorized Line 6 service center that has experience with JTV's.

Do not try this yourself, it's not something to be done by anyone without experience in this.

This is not the usual electric guitar, it's a different beast.

Anything that requires pulling up the pick-guard assembly should only be done

by an authorized Line 6 service center that has experience with JTV's.

Do not try this yourself, it's not something to be done by anyone without experience in this.

This is not the usual electric guitar, it's a different beast.

Can you mod your guitar through Line 6 service to not void the warranty?

Not if you mess with the functionality of the guitar, that would void the warranty.

So don't go pulling up the pick-guard assembly yourself. It may be a cosmetic thing,

but it requires getting under the pick-guard.

Something cosmetic like that,... check with reps on the customer support line,

and see if they'll approve something like that, since it requires getting under the pick-guard.

I see too many times where someone knows just enough to get themselves into trouble,

then I see the results. It's like those TV ads,.... "don't try this at home".

Not if you mess with the functionality of the guitar, that would void the warranty.

So don't go pulling up the pick-guard assembly yourself. It may be a cosmetic thing,

but it requires getting under the pick-guard.

Something cosmetic like that,... check with reps on the customer support line,

and see if they'll approve something like that, since it requires getting under the pick-guard.

I see too many times where someone knows just enough to get themselves into trouble,

then I see the results. It's like those TV ads,.... "don't try this at home".

How about, let's say, a neck swap?

What's the serial number of the JTV-69?

I do neck swaps, I can change the pick-up covers while it's apart. The neck swap would have

to be for a legitimate reason, and for another JTV-69 neck.

To be more accurate regarding string changes,.... it's not that we mind string gauge changes,

it's that when you change gauge, it needs to be taken to a guitar tech to have the

set-up (neck relief, string action and intonation) re-adjusted for that gauge (and for the climate

of your geographic area).

Changing string gauge changes the string tension, and that changes the set-up.

What's the serial number of the JTV-69?

I do neck swaps, I can change the pick-up covers while it's apart. The neck swap would have

to be for a legitimate reason, and for another JTV-69 neck.

To be more accurate regarding string changes,.... it's not that we mind string gauge changes,

it's that when you change gauge, it needs to be taken to a guitar tech to have the

set-up (neck relief, string action and intonation) re-adjusted for that gauge (and for the climate

of your geographic area).

Changing string gauge changes the string tension, and that changes the set-up.

Hah,  I'd love to swap a sunburst 69s with a maple 69s neck.

• Upvote 1

What's the serial number of the JTV-69S?

Have to check and see what my neck stash is like.

Erm, if you're talking to me, I don't own a JTV, I was just wondering about if I had one. I have an old Variax 600. It's these type of questions though I want to ask before I have a JTV though. 

The only 69s I see with a maple neck is the black one which is exactly what color my 600 is, and that's a bit monotonous. I'd prefer a sunburst maple 69s, but eh, what can you do.

Dude...he balked at the notion of anyone even attempting to change plastic pickup covers, which don't actually DO anything but sit there. You're barking up the wrong tree. The answer will always be the same. Nobody "official" will ever give you the blessing to change anything on the guitar, if you care about the warranty. Others have been told to not so much as change the string gauge...so I seriously doubt that you'll get the answer you're looking for.

I've never heard of anyone being warned against changing the string gauge as far is pertains to the warranty coverage. Changing sting gauge can affect the way the modeling sounds, for sure, but there's no reason someone should be afraid of switching gauges as far as I know.

Correct,.... changing string gauges isn't a problem, it's making sure the guitar tech

adjusts the set-up afterwards (for the string gauge and climate for the given location).

It's like that with any guitar, JTV, 600, 300,... Gibson, Fender, electric, acoustic, violin to

double bass. If you change the gauge, the set-up has to be re-done to account for the

the change in string tension on the neck and body of any stringed instrument.

"I've never heard of anyone being warned against changing the string gauge as far is pertains to the warranty coverage"--- it isn't a warning against changing string gauges, it's recommended to have any work done on any Line 6 product, to have it done by a Line 6 authorized service center while the warranty is in affect.

I've never heard of anyone being warned against changing the string gauge as far is pertains to the warranty coverage. Changing sting gauge can affect the way the modeling sounds, for sure, but there's no reason someone should be afraid of switching gauges as far as I know.

I only know what others have posted:

http://line6.com/support/topic/4917-jtv69-alternate-tuning-issue/

It's towards the end of the first page in that thread. This guy posted what he claims was the official explanation that accompanied his repair. He says that he was advised to keep 10's on the guitar. This is what I was referring to above. NONE of it are my words, nobody at Line 6 ever told me that the string gauge couldn't be changed...as I said, I can only go by what I've seen others post. Maybe he made it all up...I have no idea.

Too often a JTV goes back to Line 6 for a problem and it turns out to be

nothing more than a set-up issue that a local guitar tech can take of, because

of the string gauges being changed.

When changing string gauges, have your local Line 6 authorized service center

do the set-up for that set of strings and your area climate.

Or learn to do the setup yourself!  I do all of my own setups.  That way I get what I want.  I also change my own oil. :-)  If you are into guitars and you are reasonably handy it's not hard to learn how to do a setup.  There are some very good guides out there.  I bought a couple good books that went into great detail on how to set up your electric guitar.  I only had to make some minor setup tweaks to my JTV69S when I received it and now it plays great.  For me, this is part of the guitar experience.

• Upvote 3

Line 6 even includes the tools to do adjustments (truss rod and saddles).  I don't see how doing those standard adjustments correctly can void the warrantee.  I will take the risk and make adjustments to my  guitars because I trust my abilities to do them at least as good as most guitar techs.  I am not recommending that everyone do these things themselves.  If you don't know what you are doing you should get someone who does to do it.  I know my limitations and I stay within them unless I am willing to risk the consequences.

• Upvote 1

Some ghost notes (not all) are a result of set-up (action or intonation) or fret buzz issues that get

quantized, and the DSP processes that along with everything else.

Fret buzz would usually be a result of truss rod relief and/or action adjustments.

Whistling howls in the more resonant Models (tend to be) a result of intonation being a smidgeon off.

I use those more resonant Models to help check intonation in the performance, after having done a

strobe tune on it.

Crosstalk is more a result sympathetic vibration from other strings getting picked up by the respective

string's piezo. The terms crosstalk and sympathetic vibration do tend to get used interchangeably, and

that's understandable and okay, there's only a subtle and some would say minor difference between them.

Be careful Charlie, nice to know that you know your limitations. Easy for me to say, some of us techs

have been doing this longer than most.

One guy tried it himself, shimmed the 69 neck so much that the angle and relief resembled more of a violin or

an old archtop guitar neck angle. I had to pull it all apart, re-assemble it and start the set-up again from scratch.

My 69S came fairly well setup from Sweetwater.  I had to adjust a couple of the saddle heights and the intonation was off a bit but the neck relief and string height at the nut were fine.  Of all setup parameters I think the bridge adjustments on a Strat like bridge are the easiest to make.  I spent about an hour on mine when I first got it.  The low E was off the most.

• Upvote 1