Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Native on Windows 11 Not Working

ConnerNA

Since updating to Windows 11 Helix Native now crashes. I have tried on multiple DAWs, unauthorized, reauthorized, uninstalled, reinstalled, etc. Oddly I was able to get it to load when I when back to version 1.0. So far 3.11 and 3.15 neither one work. As I get time I will keep looking to see if ANY older version (besides v1) will work.

Any updates on Windows 11 Compatibility testing?

Does it crash the DAW or just Helix Native? Have you opened the windows event log and looked for an error? (I don't have Windows 11 but it should be similar. On Windows 10 you would click the start menu button and then type event as a search. Event Viewer should show up. Run it. Go to Windows Logs->Application in the viewer tree) Helix Native crashes often seem to be the authorization code crashing. The description of the error (usually an access violation/NULL pointer issue is the problem) from the event log is a good starting place for diagnosis.

On 3/11/2022 at 2:10 PM, ConnerNA said:

Any updates on Windows 11 Compatibility testing?

From the release notes on the Helix Native download page:

Compatible OS: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Windows 11

There is also a "Sticky" at the top of this page named "Windows 11 Compatibility", which states:

Plugins that have been covered are Helix Native, Amp Farm and Pod Farm 2 against the DAWs Cubase, Pro Tools, Ableton, Studio One and Reaper. 

Although that hasn't been modified since October 2021.

Hope this helps/makes sense

On 3/11/2022 at 8:36 AM, usedbyanr said:

Does it crash the DAW or just Helix Native? Have you opened the windows event log and looked for an error? (I don't have Windows 11 but it should be similar. On Windows 10 you would click the start menu button and then type event as a search. Event Viewer should show up. Run it. Go to Windows Logs->Application in the viewer tree) Helix Native crashes often seem to be the authorization code crashing. The description of the error (usually an access violation/NULL pointer issue is the problem) from the event log is a good starting place for diagnosis.

No traces of the event in event viewer...it crashes the DAW completely (both Mixcraft and Reaper).

So I installed version 1 (which works on my machine), deleted all presets, IRs and did a factory restore. I then started downloading every version updating step by step. It breaks at version 1.92 (everything prior to that version works fine). ???

This is your crash from the dump file.

09:55:27 [832 mils] : Loading effect Helix Native (VST3)
09:55:27 [832 mils] : VSTInventory - found GUID, isInstrument = 0, DLL is C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\Line 6\Helix Native (x64).vst3, bits is 64
09:55:27 [940 mils] : Writing dump file: C:\Users\natha\AppData\Roaming\Acoustica\Mixcraft\Mixcraft-Crash.dmp
09:55:28 [ 55 mils] : Exception in module C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\Line 6\Helix Native (x64).vst3 (loaded at 0x16840000) at location 0x002E7B38, line number 0x002E6B38
09:55:28 [244 mils] : Access Violation at 0000000016b27b38: 66 83 3c 59 00 75 f6 45 33 ff 41 8b

Registers:
Rax:0000000000000000
Rbx:0000000000000000
Rcx:0000000000000000
Rdx:0000000000000000
Rsi:00000000113098c0
Rdi:0000000000000000
Rsp:000000000014bd50
Rbp:000000000014be69

You can see that registers Rbx and Rcx are zero.

This is the disassembly of the offending bytes in the line above with timestamp 09:55:28.

image.png.ff7fc99a0dc0888a590e6da6b9797b7d.png

The cmp WORD PTR [ecx+ebx*2], 0x0 instruction is comparing the value read from address [ecx+ebx*2] to zero. The address [ecx+ebx*2] = [0+0+2]. That is what we call a NULL pointer reference. It's not actually a NULL because the address value is 2 but anything in the first 4K of address space is off limits to protect against NULL pointer access violations. That code looks very familiar but I don't have the code around it to verify.

What version of Native is that crash dump from? You should see that crash in the Event Viewer under applications at roughly the same timestamp.

Do you have an SD card plugged into your machine?

First post on the topic.

Second post on the topic.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar issue with my Dell XPS-13.  Helix Native would not load if there was an SD card active.  (My other computers ()a Dell XPS-15, Alenware R2 and R3 don't seem to have this issue.)  Kind of a bummer, since my the XPS-13 is my gig machine (with Native instruments installed on the SD card).  I re-installed NI instruments on an external SSD, and everything is OK, except for one extra thing to connect under pressure... :(

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue. Ableton Live version 11.1.1 Helix Native 3.15 and Helix Native 3.11 Both worked fine on Windows 10, as soon as I upgraded it will not get past the log in screen. VST2 and VST3. Please help!!

Contacted support and they got me fixed up...I had deleted all kinds of folders before and after reinstalling, etc was able to get older version of Native to work, the ticket was deleting these two folders.

Folder 1: \ProgramData*\Line 6\Helix Native Folder 2: {user folder}\AppData*\Roaming\Line 6\Helix Native

Once I deleted these two folders and reinstalled everything has been smooth sailing, hope that helps someone else!