Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Replacement Jack For Variax 300

Hi Folks,

I know that this was discussed before but I can't seem to find a conclusion of how to replace the variax connector on the 300. I have one that works intermittently. Push the  cat 5 cable toward the narrow end and it works, toward the wide end and it doesn't. I am assuming that it is finally wearing out.  Can someone suggest the easiest way to replace  or maybe adjust this for  novice? I don't want to send it to a service center since I am in Hawaii. I was hoping for a simple DIY solution. 

See if any of the pins look  bent or damaged.  You may be able to straighten a bent pin.  Common cause of damage on these is accidentally trying to plug the 1/4 inch plug into that jack.  It happened a lot on the old Variax's.  Everyone loses the rubber  plug that comes with it to cover the jack.  The JTV has a hinged cover - much safer.

If you are unable to fix the jack, a replacement part is available. The plastic piece that houses the 1/4" jack and the VDI jack can be removed and replaced. It's simple - a few screws outside and a plug-type connector inside. You will also need to remove the pickguard (another few screws) to access the plug connector inside.

Call Line 6 (see Contact Us at the foot of this page) and ask them to refer you to your nearest Line 6 parts supplier. They should be able to mail it to you.

Note also if you replace the entire jackplate assembly, the new ones (I guess designed for the JTVs) are slightly longer and you'll need to attack the body of your 300 with a chisel and hammer in order to remove some timber allowing it to fit properly.

• 2 months later...

I see that one fits the Variax Bass and the 300, 600 and 700.  Does anything fit the 500?  My input jack is getting worn out (side to side play between the cable and the jack).

Most likely the same as for 300 etc.

Contact distributor - I reckon the unit they produce to replace faulty units on the JTV's will be used on older vaxes now, as the two I received appear to be the same as on the new JTV.

• 5 years later...

Its been 6 years since the above conversation has happened, but Im hoping someone can point me in the right direction as to where to find an input jack assembly for a Variax 300 that was just given to me... seems that previous owner mistakenly jammed a 1/4" jack in to the RJ45 socket (know to happen a lot) and damaged some of the little wire contacts in the socket.. 

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions welcomed  here...

Thanks

eddie

20 hours ago, manuel_eduardo said:

Its been 6 years since the above conversation has happened, but Im hoping someone can point me in the right direction as to where to find an input jack assembly for a Variax 300 that was just given to me... seems that previous owner mistakenly jammed a 1/4" jack in to the RJ45 socket (know to happen a lot) and damaged some of the little wire contacts in the socket.. 

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions welcomed  here...

Thanks

eddie

Unless you cannibalize another Variax it is almost impossible nowdays to find a jack plate assembly spare part, which would be quite easy to replace, sort of plug and play..

So the other solution which however would require very good soldering skills is to replace just the Neutrik connector..

The following one should work fine:

851-ne8fav.jpg

Neutrik NE8FAV vertical PCB mount RJ45 receptacle

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips