Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can i connect line6 helix to my focusrite scarlett interface?

monkiboyjens

On 3/15/2022 at 6:12 PM, monkiboyjens said:

Hej

Can i connect line6 helix to my focusrite scarlett interface, and record like with the helix and all it amps, distortion and effects?

thanks 

Hi,

Yes, no problem at all. Many people in this forum use the Focusrite Scarlett AI for recording Helix.

You can also use your Helix as an 8 channel USB audio interface. Download the Owner’s Manual for more information about recording and re-amping with your hardware. That is what I do, as I had to stop using my old Focusrite Saffire when I got a new computer which didn’t support FireWire. 

Have fun recording with your Helix.

I connect my HX Effects to my amp and mic my amp and record my amp mic'd into my audio interface because my audio interface has two xlr line in's that enables me to record my amp that i'm able to mic with my mic that sits in front of my amp with my mic stand that mic's my amp and play instruments on my amp because amps can be mic'd and that's why you gotta gonna mic my amp? I do diezel!

On 3/15/2022 at 1:12 PM, monkiboyjens said:

Hej

Can i connect line6 helix to my focusrite scarlett interface, and record like with the helix and all it amps, distortion and effects?

thanks 

I don't use a Scarlett, but I do connect my Helix to my Interface and record through the interface. 

I tend to commit all tones & effects to the take with the exception of reverb and delay. I'll add those to the mix later. 

• Like 1

I’m not sure why there’s any advantage to helix->interface->computer over simply helix->computer.  The usb plug is there on the helix.  Why not use it?  The helix is an interface.  Why plug it into a second interface?

Personally, I have an HX Effects, which doesn’t work as an interface.  I could plug my HXFX via the 1/4” analog output into the interface, but I find it much more convenient to plug the guitar into the interface directly, and use helix native in my computer.  Works great, and gives me the hugely beneficial option of tweaking the guitar tone as the mix comes together.  If you’re ok laying out the very reasonable cost of helix native (discounted because you own the helix) that might be your best bet as well.

On 3/17/2022 at 11:27 AM, loonsailor said:

I’m not sure why there’s any advantage to helix->interface->computer over simply helix->computer.  The usb plug is there on the helix.  Why not use it?  The helix is an interface.  Why plug it into a second interface?

….

Some reasons I can think of:

- may be a need for more inputs/channels than Helix provides

- may be a need for more routing options (e.g. multiple channels to the same Send)

- may be a preference for (at least perceived) higher quality mic preamps

On 3/17/2022 at 10:34 AM, silverhead said:

Some reasons I can think of:

- may be a need for more inputs/channels than Helix provides

- may be a need for more routing options (e.g. multiple channels to the same Send)

- may be a preference for (at least perceived) higher quality mic preamps

With my DAW (Cubase/Mac) I can use multiple interfaces simultaneously, so I could use the mic pre's on my Focusrite Clarett together with my guitar through a Helix.  And the output routing is all agnostic as well.  At least I think so.  As I said, I never do it this way because (1) I have an HXFX which isn't an interface and (2) I record my guitar dry directly into the Clarett and process it with Helix Native in the DAW because I like that better anyway.  Besides, 95% of my recording is one track at a time, laying down a lead or rhythm track after receiving a file with a skeleton backing track, so for me it's a non-issue.

I haven't used any other DAW's much, so if the DAW only allows one interface at a time and you need more inputs or routing, then you're right.  Thanks for pointing that out. But the OP didn't say anything about how he plans to record, and if it's simple enough to record the guitar dry into the focusrite (with helix native) or to use the Helix as the guitar interface, then my advice stands.

On 3/17/2022 at 2:28 PM, loonsailor said:

I haven't used any other DAW's much, so if the DAW only allows one interface at a time and you need more inputs or routing, then you're right.  

FYI... it's not the DAW, it's the OS. A Mac allows aggregated interfaces, PC does not. 

Anyone on a PC will be locked to a single audio interface. There are work arounds, but none I trust! (eg: ASIO4ALL)

IMO - this is a non issue. I have an 8in/4out interface that sounds great.... When I listen to my Helix it is "through that interface"... so what I hear is what gets recorded. If the interface add a little color of it's own that's fine with me because I like what I hear.