Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Computer noise into helix

coachz

I have HX edit setup using the USB cable and the noise from the computer makes it unusable.  Do you guys have any suggestions ?    I also tried connecting a MIO midi device into the 5 pin DINs but HX edit didn't see it.    Thanks for any suggestions as HX Edit is important to me.   Stomp XL is setup in 4CB with Marshall DSL40CR.

Start with isolating your power. I used a Tripp Lite LCR2400 for my main rig and an LC1200 for my home studio....I don't have ground loops and I don't have those money pit hum elminators...A conditioner is not enough...You have to have a transformer on your power to eliminate ground loops...Easiest way to do that is to get an Automative Voltage Regulator. You get stable voltage, conditioning and isolation....Usually it's as simple as putting the computer on the house power and all of your audio gear on the transformer. Anyhoo, that's how pros do it....Good luck.

On 3/15/2022 at 3:31 PM, coachz said:

I have them all going into the same UPS

Modern UPS is not generally transformer based. No isolation unless on the battery and disconnected from house power completely...Would need to know the brand and model to know that.

On 3/15/2022 at 4:40 PM, coachz said:

Yeah you're totally right.  Mine won't have any conditioning, just common ground.  So what does your have ?  Separate transformers on every tap ?

multitap transformer....Tripp Lites are about +-5% or so as there are just three...Nominal, Hi and Lo...Furman AR15 is a bit more precise and uses a toroidal transformer with more taps (6 iirc)...So they stay within about +-1 v....Isolation is the same with any transformer....You can still have loops within your rig, but once your rig is isolated, that's just a shield lift here and there and you are done....Very easy to run those down when the rig is isolated...A whole lot harder when refrigerators and other motors in the house circuit are not isolated away from the audio gear from and input power perspective.

Basically, the clicks in the Tripp Lite stuff are a bit louder than the Furman....Furmans are great, but you will pay a lot for one of those...I used to tour with an AR15, but since I don't tour anymore and I am paying for it now, I use Tripp Lite...Much more cost effective for me...

Makes what unusable?  When not using the Helix the USB cable left in your computer makes too much noise?  -- I have that!

If I have sound coming out of the headphone jack of my laptop, I have to un-plug the USB cable.  Otherwise it starts introducing noise... But not right away after about 5--10 minutes.