Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HXEdit unable to restore “invalid” IRs from backup following Helix Floor 3.15 update

richardwhite2009

I followed the procedures to update my HX Edit and Helix Floor to version 3.15. This included backing up my Helix Floor prior to the update.

Following a successful Helix Floor Firmware update, I followed the “highly recommended” steps of first doing a factory reset of the Helix Floor, and second, restoring the Helix Floor backup I had made prior to the firmware update.  I got through the entire restore process steps 100% without any indication of error. But then the update procedure concluded with the following message on my computer screen (Windows 10):

“HX edit was unable to restore one or more of the IRs because the sample data they contain was determined to be invalid”

Does any one know:

- if there are diagnostics available on the Helix Floor, or on HX Edit to identity which IRs were not successfully transferred back to my HX Floor?

- what is the quickest procedure for me to make sure all the IRs are successfully copied back to my HX Floor.

FYI Some of my IRs were purchased from the Helix store and are copy protected, but are licensed for my Helix Floor. (Don’t know if this makes any difference).

Thanks for your help!

Richard.

On 3/16/2022 at 8:19 AM, richardwhite2009 said:

….

Does any one know:

- if there are diagnostics available on the Helix Floor, or on HX Edit to identity which IRs were not successfully transferred back to my HX Floor?

- what is the quickest procedure for me to make sure all the IRs are successfully copied back to my HX Floor.

…..

Try using the ‘Extract Files From Backup’ feature in HX Edit. Select the backup file that was created when you updated the firmware, and select IR files for extraction. I believe this will produce a folder containing the IR files that are contained in the backup file. Compare the contents of this folder to the set of IR files listed in HX Edit. That should identify the missing ones. Then locate the missing ones on your computer and drag/drop them into the proper IR slots in HX Edit.

Of course, this doesn’t explain why the error message was generated. It’s possible that there is a structural issue with those IRs; they may be rejected again.

• Upvote 1

On 3/16/2022 at 8:42 AM, silverhead said:

Try using the ‘Extract Files From Backup’ feature in HX Edit. Select the backup file that was created when you updated the firmware, and select IR files for extraction. I believe this will produce a folder containing the IR files that are contained in the backup file. Compare the contents of this folder to the set of IR files listed in HX Edit. That should identify the missing ones. Then locate the missing ones on your computer and drag/drop them into the proper IR slots in HX Edit.

Of course, this doesn’t explain why the error message was generated. It’s possible that there is a structural issue with those IRs; they may be rejected again.

Thank you so much @silverhead!  That suggestion was so VERY helpful to me and let me find out what the corrupt IRs were very quickly.

I wonder if you might be able to share some additional insight on IRs for me.

Through this exercise of backup and restoring and then comparing my original IRs as purchased, and what was being backup, I discovered that my IRs have ALL been truncated or down-sampled, or corrupted in some way..

Many of my purchased IRs started out much larger.. some are 200 to 350 KB in size.  But when I checked the size of these files in the backup files, they had all been reduced to much smaller file sizes, like 9 KB or 12KB.

I then did a test and I dragged an IR having a size of about 350 KB into the IR section on HX Edit. I then immediately exported this IR back from HX Edit to a Windows folder, and the size had been reduced to 9 KB!!! 

Would you have any further insights as to what is happening to my IRs?

R.

THank

On 3/21/2022 at 6:40 PM, silverhead said:

Sorry. I’m not very familiar with IRs and I don’t use them much. I am familiar with troubleshooting in general and that’s where my earlier suggestion came from. No particular knowledge of IRs required for that.

Thanks for your quick reply.   I just pulled up a before and after of the wav file IRs I had, and it turned out to be just a resampling and truncation of irrelevant data (after two seconds, he impulses are flat).  When I pulled these up in Adobe Audition, the wave forms seemed to be similar.   It was three hir file IRs that became corrupted however, and I'm guessing that something in the resampling and truncation of those files went bad.  I'm not so concerned now that the remaining hir files are smaller, as the integrity with the wav files seem to have been preserved through the HX Edit import and export.

Thanks again for your help.

R.