Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Moo)))n amp on Helix

Sabbath72

On 3/19/2022 at 12:09 AM, Sabbath72 said:

Please tell me this will be released on helix.

Hmm… first post with half a page of white space!

O.K. Here we go again.

This is a user group - there is nobody here from Line 6 who could confirm, or deny your question. Even if there was a member of Line 6 staff here - they are subject to NDA’s and would not answer.

Stick around for several years and you will get used to the idea that you will never know for certain what will, or will not be, in the next Firmware update. The guessing game becomes a little tedious after a while. Wait until v.3.2 finally drops, and if that particular model is not included, you can post on IdeaScale and ask for it to be added. You will be at the end of a very long queue.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Oh Jesus.  How many amps do we need?  Between preamps, amps, gain blocks, speaker cabs with adjustable microphones, IRs... Honestly there are way too many options already.  I actually hate when there are so many options because you spend all your time A/B'ing things rather than playing.  

I was always a Fender amp guy, and went on the Helix with something that I assumed was an emulation of the Fender Twin Reverb -- Mail Order Twin.  I started using it and 2 years later am still using it for every single electric guitar preset.  Always liked how clean it sounded and that certain special twang it had.  About a year ago I found out it's actually a recreation of Silvertone® 1484 amp.  The amp that is famously NOT clean and certain garage-bands use for that crappy buzzy noisy sound.  well oops...

Back in the day, on early modellers you had 2-3 amp models and that's it.  When I do play through physical amps, I can always find my signature sound with anything that does not have too many knobs and can be cleaned up enough. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 3/19/2022 at 5:04 PM, theElevators said:

Honestly there are way too many options already.  I actually hate when there are so many options because you spend all your time A/B'ing things rather than playing. 

Im with you 100% on this, but to each his own. Im also for spending time playing instead chasing tonez...amen that

• Upvote 1

The new L6 Metallurgy amps, I think will make their way into the Helix.  This is based on information I have gathered elsewhere(not on these forums).

On 3/19/2022 at 7:51 AM, datacommando said:

This is a user group - there is nobody here from Line 6 who could confirm, or deny your question. Even if there was a member of Line 6 staff here - they are subject to NDA’s and would not answer.

I have recently learned that there are other forums on the interwebs where several Line 6 personal are actually quite active. I'm not sure what the rules are here for specifying or  linking other sites, but they aren't hard to find. I'll also say, while they are active, they still don't give direct answers. They do, however, give hints, and from a particular thread from the aforementioned forums I think they are going to introduce some of the new features of the Metallurgy plugin to Helix. What and how soon? No clear answers there.

On 3/19/2022 at 11:04 AM, theElevators said:

Oh Jesus.  How many amps do we need?

While I tend to agree with this sentiment, the OP is referring to an amp that is in the one of the newest Line 6 products that also has several other HX amps included. 

On 3/19/2022 at 7:51 AM, datacommando said:

Yeah, what up with that? Not cool. 

On 3/19/2022 at 4:29 PM, soblivion said:

Yeah, what up with that? Not cool. 

Well, it does make for a lot of rather pointless scrolling to get to the replies.

On 3/19/2022 at 4:29 PM, soblivion said:

I have recently learned that there are other forums on the interwebs where several Line 6 personal are actually quite active. I'm not sure what the rules are here for specifying or  linking other sites, but they aren't hard to find. I'll also say, while they are active, they still don't give direct answers. They do, however, give hints, and from a particular thread from the aforementioned forums I think they are going to introduce some of the new features of the Metallurgy plugin to Helix. What and how soon? No clear answers there.

If you have only just discovered the other sites where the Line 6 staff usually contribute comments, then you're more than a little late to the party -  we all know where Eric, Igor, Ben, Frank and the rest of the Line 6 crew hang out - it's just not here, but we do visit lots of other places too. If you think the stuff you pick up over on The Gear Page and the Facebook Helix Family Group really are hints, then you better get used to being very disappointed, because as I mentioned earlier, there are such things as Non Disclosure Agreements involved. Furthermore Digital igloo (Eric) is notorious for being vague and generally misleading when it comes to firmware updates. Therefore in his famous words, when is it due to land - Soon, very soon.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 1

On 3/19/2022 at 1:07 PM, datacommando said:

then you're more than a little late to the party

Yeah, I am. I actually heard some time ago that that they where more active on other forums, but just recently checked it out. I was actually looking for info on an unrelated topic and stumbled across some of the Metallurgy threads. 

On 3/19/2022 at 1:07 PM, datacommando said:

you better get used to being very disappointed

I'm not too fussed about it.  I've been more that content with my Helix LT when I got it nearly 5 years ago. Every update it's gotten since I acquired it has been a bonus.  It does more than I'll ever need it to do, and if it never saw another update, I'd stilled be more than content. 

That said, I'm really diggin' the new Metallurgy plugins. If they do bring some of the new stuff to Helix, that would be great, but if not, I'm fine with that too. 

On 3/19/2022 at 6:45 PM, soblivion said:

That said, I'm really diggin' the new Metallurgy plugins.

Ah, the thing about the Metallurgy Collection is that they can also work as stand alone apps, not just plug-ins. Possibly some bits from them will make it into the 3.20 update, but don’t count on it. The big discussion over on TGP, appears to be more to do with the skeuomorphic design UI, and the new cab/mic placement than the actual amp models. 

Ho hum, it will happen when it happens. I got my Helix floor in 2016 and it replaced a rack full of other stuff - it works great for me - anything else that might get added is a bonus.

• Upvote 1

The MOON)))) amp has its own category. You can´t get close to that sound with all the amp and drive models already available. It´d sure be a nice and unique addition to the Helix. Sounds really trippy and it´s wonderful to play some stoner and post-apocalyptic metal with the bass all cranked up. I remember the first time I watched a video of SunnO)))) live in Volksbühne, Germany. It was a truly haunting experience... Each note lasted like three or four bars with 40 bpm... hahahaha. Mesmerizing as hell.

The Vitriol sounds nice as well, something really modern to play Djenty and 2010's stuff. I´m not a Djenter, however I´m all for Helix satisfying all possible customers´ needs. That approach is what takes a modeler to the top of the game against its competitors. I guess Line 6 has definitely stepped up to the professional amp modeling market with Helix and the next HX release will be something really jaw-dropping.

• Downvote 1

On 3/21/2022 at 7:45 PM, BAmartin said:

The MOON)))) amp has its own category. You can´t get close to that sound with all the amp and drive models already available. It´d sure be a nice and unique addition to the Helix. Sounds really trippy and it´s wonderful to play some stoner and post-apocalyptic metal with the bass all cranked up. I remember the first time I watched a video of SunnO)))) live in Volksbühne, Germany. It was a truly haunting experience... Each note lasted like three or four bars with 40 bpm... hahahaha. Mesmerizing as hell.

The Vitriol sounds nice as well, something really modern to play Djenty and 2010's stuff. I´m not a Djenter, however I´m all for Helix satisfying all possible customers´ needs. That approach is what takes a modeler to the top of the game against its competitors. I guess Line 6 has definitely stepped up to the professional amp modeling market with Helix and the next HX release will be something really jaw-dropping.

Oh!  hey butthead!  You're back!  yayyyyy!

• Downvote 1

On 3/19/2022 at 5:51 AM, datacommando said:

Second!!

• Haha 3

On 3/23/2022 at 1:27 AM, soundog said:

Second!!

Nothing to see here - move along :-)

• Haha 1

On 3/19/2022 at 9:04 AM, theElevators said:

Oh Jesus.  How many amps do we need?  Between preamps, amps, gain blocks, speaker cabs with adjustable microphones, IRs... Honestly there are way too many options already.  I actually hate when there are so many options because you spend all your time A/B'ing things rather than playing.  

I was always a Fender amp guy, and went on the Helix with something that I assumed was an emulation of the Fender Twin Reverb -- Mail Order Twin.  I started using it and 2 years later am still using it for every single electric guitar preset.  Always liked how clean it sounded and that certain special twang it had.  About a year ago I found out it's actually a recreation of Silvertone® 1484 amp.  The amp that is famously NOT clean and certain garage-bands use for that crappy buzzy noisy sound.  well oops...

Back in the day, on early modellers you had 2-3 amp models and that's it.  When I do play through physical amps, I can always find my signature sound with anything that does not have too many knobs and can be cleaned up enough. 

The whole reason for this product is to provide many choices to many different guitar players. How many amps do WE need. A lot. There are a lot of different guitar players out there. How many amps do YOU need? Apparently just one. I personally just don't use what I don't need and don't begrudge others that may use an amp I have no interest in. If the amount of choices is truly daunting to you, there are simpler solutions out there. Or, you could just put your choices in the Favorites folder and be done with it. I like the idea of essentially having a music store full of gear. When I go into a music store, I don't try all of the amps. I do get what you are saying. I certainly have wandered into the multiple choice arena and spent hours there until I looked up to see the sun rise. And not really accomplishing much. What would you prefer they do? I truly am curious and not trying to be glib or anything. I know for me there are a couple of distortion boxes and choruses out there I wouldn't mind seeing in the Helix.

On 3/23/2022 at 1:40 PM, brue58ski said:

The whole reason for this product is to provide many choices to many different guitar players. How many amps do WE need. A lot. There are a lot of different guitar players out there. How many amps do YOU need? Apparently just one. I personally just don't use what I don't need and don't begrudge others that may use an amp I have no interest in. If the amount of choices is truly daunting to you, there are simpler solutions out there. Or, you could just put your choices in the Favorites folder and be done with it. I like the idea of essentially having a music store full of gear. When I go into a music store, I don't try all of the amps. I do get what you are saying. I certainly have wandered into the multiple choice arena and spent hours there until I looked up to see the sun rise. And not really accomplishing much. What would you prefer they do? I truly am curious and not trying to be glib or anything. I know for me there are a couple of distortion boxes and choruses out there I wouldn't mind seeing in the Helix.

Well, I would personally rather see more different/new effect types, useful functionality than more and more amps and more flavors of gain/delay/tremolo. So if they come up with a rare 1985 boss delay recreation, I will not bother checking it out — I have found all my sounds a long time ago. And with the acoustic sim in 3.0 I’m completely happy. 

However, I could see the use for the following: smart harmonizer where you can program the harmony notes, global input pad, portamento, synth sounds that I could use live.

And my argument is that I can dial in my sound reasonably well with any gear. I’m sure that others can as well. Plus I find that the virtual representation often does not work like the real thing at all. For example, to me the Fender Twin amp did not behave the way I was used to, whereas it is normally my go-to amp. Or deez-1 did not work like DS-1 at all—it had a weird sag effect.  So I tried another block and made it work.  

There are a ton of bugs as well. How about going through the backlog of these?  To me 3.11 works great for what I do. I downgraded from 3.15 because it made it potentially unusable with the new bypass behavior weirdness that line 6 refused to even acknowledge at first. 

• Downvote 1

Get off

my lawn!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1