Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT, frustrating first day. Drivers, firmware, edit software, etc. (rantish)

ArtieJ

Just got the Helix LT home after purchasing at GC on a fine Saturday morning.  I wanted to update the firmware since there is a new one, and also download the HX Edit software.

Registered the product in the registered gear section.

I go to free downloads section.  Make selections for Choose Hardware, Choose Software, select my operating system, click both Beta and Archived, click Go and...

"At this time, there is no software available that matches your selection."

Tried a different browser, same result.

Tried calling tech support, press 2 for customer service, press 1 for Line 6, and...

"I'm sorry, I did not understand your response."

Nothing else to do but hang up.

Then I see phone support is evidently only available week days.  Great.

So I make the USB connection and hope at least that will work.  Windows reports the device is set up and ready to go.  Yay!

Was then able to download and install the Line 6 Updater program, but when I run it there is no item to select to update.

So, I check Device Manager and the device is there with an exclamation point, apparently a driver issue because the device won't start.

So I figure I need drivers, but I'm back at the "At this time, there is no software available that matches your selection" message in downloads.

Anyway, did I just pick the wrong day to try to do this? 

I wanted to use it tomorrow, but guess I will have to wait until Monday morning 11AM EST to get basic help.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has some suggestions or questions to guide me toward solutions.

And if I figure anything out I'll report back here.

Thank you for your time!

=================================================

EDIT:  (Since I can't post more than once per day since I'm new, thanks for that too)

I unchecked the 2 Beta and Archived boxes and finally get the HX Edit page!  That's a little confusing, maybe add some wording to the effect of "ALSO search Beta and Archived in addition to active".
On the page, the HX Edit version info is a long section and the Get Download button is all the way at the bottom.  Would be good to put that button instead or also at the top.

Installed HX Edit, it found the LT and updated drivers, all looks good in Device Manager now.
Started the firmware update, which it prompted me to do, and it's been about 40 minutes and still not finished.  HX Edit screen says "Initializing firmware installation..." and the screen on the LT says "Update message server Started".  I've read the update should only take 5 to 10 minutes, now I'm scared to interrupt it and turn the LT into a brick.

I tried closing the HX Edit program anyway and it says "Devices are currently updating.  Please wait blah blah..."

I'll wait some more.  If this thing is bricked it goes back to GC tomorrow, and I don't plan to buy another one.  I've done nothing to void a warranty. 

If you click the beta box, it will only search for beta versions of the firmware, and those are really not ever available to the general public. And as far as know, there’s not very much that is actually archived. So you want to leave those unchecked.

HX Edit should be the only piece of software you need to download, as it brings the drivers along with it. If you’re having problem with the update, you may need to go the Line 6 Update route as explained in these instructions (from the Knowledge Base section of this site).

IMPORTANT! In the unlikely event that your update fails, please follow the steps below:

1. Unplug the USB cable from both the back of your Helix and the computer.
  2. Turn your Helix/HX device off and on.
  3. Reconnect the USB cable to your Helix/HX device and the computer.
  4. Download, install, and launch the latest version of Line 6 Updater. In a failure state, the device will not connect to HX Edit.
  5. Select your device and try updating to the latest firmware again.
    • If the device does not show up in Line 6 Updater after these steps, try a different USB cable and/or USB port.
    • If it still doesn't show up, try a different computer.
  • Upvote 1

What is this relax thing you speak of?

I was all hyped up to use my shiny new Helix LT. I saved up for 3 months to get this thing!

I had to kill power to the LT and restart everything but the update worked fine the 2nd time.

Maybe someone else in panic mode will learn a lesson from my adventure.  Or get a laugh.

I tell ya, every piece of gear should come with a sheet "What will probably seem to go wrong...relax!"

Thanks for the help guys.  I'm liking what I'm hearing out of this little box.

I'll probably be back with some specific setup questions if research fails.

On 3/20/2022 at 11:51 AM, ArtieJ said:

What is this relax thing you speak of?

Just a free suggestion my friend. An opinion based on 30 years of experience working with Hardware and Software for a living. Not hard intentions.

When you approach a new device you don't know, it's always a good thing to do a good research before jump into it.

Glad you solved. Peace.

• Upvote 1

On 3/20/2022 at 10:51 AM, ArtieJ said:

I tell ya, every piece of gear should come with a sheet "What will probably seem to go wrong...relax!"

Hi,

Glad you managed to get your new Helix LT updated and fully functional.

The "What will probably seem to go wrong...relax!" sheet that you mentioned is more generally known as the Firmware Release notes, which can be found in the “Knowledge Base” section of the forum.

In a generally futile attempt to make sure that people are fully informed, those same notes are included on the download page for each revision of the Firmware.
Much like the owner’s manual for your hardware, they contain some very useful information, although it is sometimes conveyed in a light-hearted way, and usually in big red letters - e.g.:

IMPORTANT! Carefully read and follow the update instructions below. If you don't—and then run to the forums asking why it's not working—the interwebs will make fun of you.

It’s a bit like “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” which has “DON’T PANIC” printed in big friendly letters on the front cover.

Have fun with your new toy - and (deep breath) - relax.

• Upvote 1

On 3/20/2022 at 12:03 PM, ArtieJ said:

datacommando, Interwebs was already making fun of me, no change there.

I had just forgotten that the answer was 42.

Thanks!

Not 42. That's the answer for everything. The answer as to when will the Helix be perfect, It's 3.2!!

• Haha 1