Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can't decide between HX Effects or POD Go

Numbat

Hello all,

I've been gradually selling off most of my pedals in order to purchase a multi FX, but I'm unsure whether a HX Effects or POD Go are the right choice in my price range.

I play in a busy covers band, covering many genres from Chuck Berry to Rage Against The Machine (with a bit of Britney Spears along the way!).

I have a Roland JC40 amp, which I like very much, so I was initially looking at the HX Effects to run via the 4 cable method. 

But there will be occasions when I need to run direct, so I'm assuming I'd put some kind of preamp in the effects loop.

This led me to consider the POD Go as an all-in-one solution, without the need for add ons.

I can run the POD Go into my JC40 via the 4 cable method with the amp and sim disabled in the signal chain.

Then for those times when I'm direct, I can activate my amp and cab sim of choice. 

Does this make the POD Go the more versatile and therefore the most logical choice for me? Am I missing out on much by not going with the HX Effects?

Your expertise is most welcome!

(Also posted in the POD Go chat)

I bought myself Pod Go as a backup for the Helix.  The drawbacks about Pod Go is that you are stuck with a predetermined number of blocks and always have to have an amp/speaker block even if you don't plan on using it...

The plus is that you have an entire rig-in-a-box setup to play any song you want.  You have snapshots, you have a pretty big display where you can see what is engaged, etc.  HX Effects is just effects, so it's not a complete package. 

If you use multiple presets, you should be fine in terms of being able to use many different effects on the Pod Go... for a wedding band type of a set--for sure. 

I am a Helix user, but if if Pod Go were available when I was shopping for a processor today, I'd just get the Pod Go. 

But with the Helix, I'm spoiled and I sometimes use every single snapshot in a preset, just because I can with various variations.  So.... why not get a Helix instead?  They are so inexpensive now.  I bought my Helix LT for 750 USD lightly used. 

As another had said, when looking for a Helix backup, I went with the Pod Go. It's very similar in terms of use, etc so it was a no brainer. I used the JSON patch edit technique to get some active additional blocks on the Go and as stock, there is plenty of DSP for a cover situation. Its to the point where if I'm just going to jam with a bunch of different, non-gig, situations, I just bring the Go with an Amp or No Amp set of patches and it meets the needs. I tried the HX Effects. It definitely seemed very powerful but the Go is sonically similar.   

• Upvote 1

I used the GO for a year during the pandemic for songwriting and a few gigs...Ultimately, there is not enough freedom in the chain for me in the GO and I went to the Stomp XL...basically, it's the HXFX with all the amps and the same control layout as the GO....But you also get dual chains....GO does not do that....I suggest the XL Stomp over the HXFX...If you need an expression pedal, then add it....the limitations are not worth the pedal being built-in IMO.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all your input folks.

It's looking more and more like I'm going to go for something with amp and cab sims, rather than just effects.

I often play acoustic shows or at least gigs that feature quite a few acoustic songs, so I'll be going direct more often than not.

The only question now is do I pony up the extra $450 AUD for the Stomp XL over the POD Go.

I like the idea of more effects blocks and flexibility, but my tones are fairly modest so I'm confident the POD Go would handle my requirements.

Many of the gigs I play tend to be quite rowdy pubs and parties and the risk of beer spillage on expensive gear is also something to consider.

For those of you who gig with the Stomp or XL, how much of an issue is the small screen over the POD Go?

On 3/22/2022 at 5:36 AM, Numbat said:

…..

I like the idea of more effects blocks and flexibility, but my tones are fairly modest so I'm confident the POD Go would handle my requirements.

I think you just answered your own question. Is any potential misjudgement in your confidence level worth the extra $$?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 3/22/2022 at 5:36 AM, Numbat said:

Thanks for all your input folks.

It's looking more and more like I'm going to go for something with amp and cab sims, rather than just effects.

I often play acoustic shows or at least gigs that feature quite a few acoustic songs, so I'll be going direct more often than not.

The only question now is do I pony up the extra $450 AUD for the Stomp XL over the POD Go.

Many of the gigs I play tend to be quite rowdy pubs and parties and the risk of beer spillage on expensive gear is also something to consider.

For those of you who gig with the Stomp or XL, how much of an issue is the small screen over the POD Go?

The small screen quite annoying if you move directly from a year on the GO to the XL....but I got used it....If you never had it, may not such a big deal. As soon as I heard just the stark improvement of the codec converters I was convinced I had made the right choice IN THE XL...The GO is a great piece of gear...It just wasn't quite there for my more specific needs....I had zero issues using it, I just had to compromise a little bit and no one was the wiser to that other than me...either will do the job at a pro level fine...Only you will know which one is right for you...