Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can't decide between POD Go or HX Effects

Numbat

Hello all,

I've been gradually selling off most of my pedals in order to purchase a multi FX, but I'm unsure whether a HX Effects or POD Go are the right choice in my price range.

I play in a busy covers band, covering many genres from Chuck Berry to Rage Against The Machine (with a bit of Britney Spears along the way!).

I have a Roland JC40 amp, which I like very much, so I was initially looking at the HX Effects to run via the 4 cable method. 

But there will be occasions when I need to run direct, so I'm assuming I'd put some kind of preamp in the effects loop.

This led me to consider the POD Go as an all-in-one solution, without the need for add ons.

I can run the POD Go into my JC40 via the 4 cable method with the amp and sim disabled in the signal chain.

Then for those times when I'm direct, I can activate my amp and cab sim of choice. 

Does this make the POD Go the more versatile and therefore the most logical choice for me? Am I missing out on much by not going with the HX Effects?

Your expertise is most welcome!

(Also posted in the Helix chat)

4 Cable is more for when you're wanting to use your amps gain channel. Because the JC40 is a clean SS amp, you could run either HX FX or Pod Go in front of the amp, or put through the FX return to use your amp.  I believe HX FX can run up to 9 FX blocks; Pod Go (officially) gives you up to 4 user FX blocks but that's in addition to volume/wah/EQ blocks.  Pod Go has a built in volume/expression pedal, HX FX doesn't but you could add an external expression pedal.  HX FX  offers split/parallel signal paths ( Up to 2 stereo, serial or parallel) that Pod Go doesn't.  HX FX doesn't offer amp or cab models, but it does allow IR's to be imported, it has a longer looper than Pod Go and its footswitches are touch capacitive, which Pod Go's aren't (see manual for what this means). HX FX gives 4 external Amp Control Outputs - check the manual as I'm not certain here but I think this means you might be able to control channel changing or other selection options in your amp which Pod Go can't do (someone please step in here as I'm less familiar with HX FX)

Each offers different solutions for different needs.  If you don't need amp models and want greater flexibility for FX chains, then HX FX is the better option and is more powerful from an FX perspective, but you may need to add an external expression pedal to get the best out of it. 

For my needs, I went Pod Go because for gigging I don't put my MFX through an amp and I'll gig with my FX straight through the PA system or I'd use a FRFR powered speaker (I have a Headrush FRFR108). At home I might put Pod Go through the FX return of an amp and use everything in Pod Go including amp/cab models or sometimes I might put it through the front end of the clean channel of my Marshall Valvestate Mk1 amp.  I don't use 4 cable as I don't want to use the gain channel of my amps and it's too much faff for me.  So for me, I wanted an all-in-one solution that gave me good gigging floor control with built in expression pedal that could globally switch between volume/wah without programming each patch.  I need the amp models but don't need more complex routing options. I also don't use a lot of FX so I can mostly get by with the 4 blocks available.  Because I don't gig with an amp, Pod Go gives me a pretty consistent tone through the FOH PA or FRFR. 

I suggest you write a list of your needs, sit down with both manuals and watch some of the 'user' type vids on you tube, and then work through your list to see which solution and features best fits your needs.  Split your needs into your top 3 or 4 things that are absolutely essential, the next 3 or 4 things that might be nice to haves but that you could work around, and then the things that are less important to you and that you can 'take or leave'.   So if you want more FX processing power for longer and more complex effects chains, you don't need amp models, but want an expression pedal, then that will point you to the HX FX plus an external expression pedal.  You get the idea.  That way, you're helping yourself to really understand what you need and don't need, and can make a much more informed decision.

Hope this is of some help.  

• Thanks 1

On 3/21/2022 at 5:46 AM, Numbat said:

I can run the POD Go into my JC40 via the 4 cable method with the amp and sim disabled in the signal chain.

Then for those times when I'm direct, I can activate my amp and cab sim of choice. 

It doesn't really work that way. 

Create patches for use with an amp. 

Create patches for use without an amp. 

And to be devils advocate, and in all appreciation that this is a line 6 board, you might want to check out the new Boss GX100 because it can give up to 15 blocks, with no fixed blocks, has dual routing, touch screen, and could give you the best of both worlds. 

On 3/21/2022 at 12:40 PM, pianoguyy said:

And, just to toss this out there... 

there is also the HD500X 

Is the HD500X still supported? Mine got wonky and I replaced it with the smaller, easier Pod Go. They haven't updated the 500 in ages.

I like having the onboard expression pedal.

On 3/21/2022 at 11:57 AM, pianoguyy said:
On 3/21/2022 at 5:46 AM, Numbat said:

It doesn't really work that way. 

Create patches for use with an amp. 

Create patches for use without an amp. 

Why would it not work that way?  4 cable method = amp passes through FX loop no?  So you can run with that and disable the IR/cab and the amp, since you're getting your 'amp' sound from the amp, and the 'cab' sound from the cab, you'd be fine.

Then when you want you can turn off your FX Loop block; bypassing the amp, and activate the Go's amp and cab.

So yeah it should work that way, I don't see why it shouldn't!

Thank you to everyone who replied to my question.

It’s looking more like I’ll be getting the POD Go rather than the HX Effects.

I also play acoustic shows going direct to PA, so the Go makes more sense.

There’s a lot to be said for simplicity - especially when it comes to the modest size stages/venues I tend to play.

While I love my Roland JC40, one has to question whether it’s worth the extra hassle if the quality of amps/sims inside the Go are close enough.

I don’t really like much guitar coming back at me through monitors, so I can take my Headrush FRFR108 to replace my amp on stage anyway.

I’m aware of the recently released Boss GX100. It seems more powerful than the Go, but I’m put off by what seems like a shoddy touchscreen implementation and more complex interface.
I realise there’s a learning curve with all these things, but isn’t the POD Go generally regarded as the simplest to operate multi FX?

On 3/22/2022 at 2:57 PM, Numbat said:

Thank you to everyone who replied to my question.

It’s looking more like I’ll be getting the POD Go rather than the HX Effects.

I also play acoustic shows going direct to PA, so the Go makes more sense.

There’s a lot to be said for simplicity - especially when it comes to the modest size stages/venues I tend to play.

While I love my Roland JC40, one has to question whether it’s worth the extra hassle if the quality of amps/sims inside the Go are close enough.

I don’t really like much guitar coming back at me through monitors, so I can take my Headrush FRFR108 to replace my amp on stage anyway.

I’m aware of the recently released Boss GX100. It seems more powerful than the Go, but I’m put off by what seems like a shoddy touchscreen implementation and more complex interface.
I realise there’s a learning curve with all these things, but isn’t the POD Go generally regarded as the simplest to operate multi FX?

It was certainly Line 6's intention that Pod Go be relatively easy to use. It's aimed at users who wanted a single stand alone 'does it all' mfx pedal, who don't need complex routings or two amps/cabs at once, and generally want an amp, cab, EQ, volume/wah and who normally wouldn't need more than 3 or 4 effects.  As that was pretty much my needs, Pod Go suited me.  The 4 user block limit and fixed block design was specifically to help with ease of use and limit the times a user might run out of processing power and see options 'greyed out' in Pod Go Edit or not available within the Pod Go model options list.  

The Pod Go Edit software is excellent and makes it much easier to build patches, manage IR's etc  By and large the Pod Go unit itself is reasonably user intuitive but there are quite a few things that are not obvious, so you need to read the manual and watch some of the excellent Pod Go 'training/how to' vids on youtube. As you said, there is a learning curve with all things. 

Re the GX100, I'm not sure what you mean by shoddy touchscreen and complex interface as based on the videos I've watched, the touch screen quality appears to be very good and it does seem smooth to use and makes navigation much easier.  It certainly seems to be a big improvement from the GT1000 UI that does seem quite 'awkward'.  If you can, I think it's well worth going to a store that has both and trying them out side by side to see which one you're more comfortable with and which sounds best to your ears. 

There's no rights and wrongs here so when you're buying something even at this mid-price point it makes good sense to put yourself in an informed position because there's only so much you glean from manuals & vids.  I suggest you spend some time with each to build a preset or two (ignore factory presets) and set up foot-switches in the way you think you'd want to use it, and then see how easy (or not) each unit is to use and how it sounds and feels to you.   That way you'll be giving yourself the best chance to make the right choice for your needs not just as they might be right now, but also what you think you might reasonably need over the next year or two.  There's no other way of doing it I'm afraid.  Line 6 fans and Pod Go users will tell you Pod Go is great  - but ditto so will owners of Boss, Zoom, Mooer, Ampero, Headrush gear etc. 

When going on forums etc some folk will be more objective than others so try & filter out the wood from the trees and balance all the hype, biases and opinions of others with at least a certain degree of caution and trust your own instincts and ears - after all it's your money, and its what you think is easiest to use and sounds best that matters.   Only ever choose a unit based on what it can/can't do now - never rely on future firmware upgrades or you could be leading yourself to disappointment - and lastly, never assume a unit must be able to do AB&C or have XYZ effects in it. If you absolutely must have, for example, a polyshift effect (sadly Pod Go doesn't have this by the way) make sure it's in the unit you buy and that you've tried it out to ensure its what you expected.   If you absolutely need a long looper time in the MFX, then you might need to look at a completely different unit.  All MFX will have 'USP's' - you just need to figure out what you need a MFX to do.  

Best of luck!

On 3/21/2022 at 8:18 PM, SiCantwell said:

Is the HD500X still supported? Mine got wonky and I replaced it with the smaller, easier Pod Go. They haven't updated the 500 in ages.

I like having the onboard expression pedal.

Define 'supported'. 

It is still being made. It is still being sold. They still have warranties (if that is the kind of support you mean). 

But, you are correct, they haven't handed out any freebies lately. 

On 3/22/2022 at 8:05 AM, grdGo33 said:

Why would it not work that way?  4 cable method = amp passes through FX loop no?  So you can run with that and disable the IR/cab and the amp, since you're getting your 'amp' sound from the amp, and the 'cab' sound from the cab, you'd be fine.

Then when you want you can turn off your FX Loop block; bypassing the amp, and activate the Go's amp and cab.

So yeah it should work that way, I don't see why it shouldn't!

Don't get me wrong. It works that way. 

But if someone is looking to get the same tone with each situation, it isn't going to be as easy as simply turning on/off an amp.