Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Just got my 59JTV-US

I am sure I am going to have a lot of questions here but let's go....

1) It came with a 6.5 ft CAT5 cable. Is that all I get. I have a HELIX Rack and by the time I go around the back of the rack that leaves me about four ft. Do I just go to radio shack and by myself a 15 or 20 ft. CAT5 cable? THe book mentions  VDI cable. I did not get one. Is that something from the past that is no longer used?

2) there is a little buzz on the low E string. Does that mean anything on the Variax? Will that buzz translate to the guitar models?

3) The case is a little bent on one corner and it causes it to not latch correctly. I don't think it happened while shipping. It just looks like a bent piece of metal from the factory.

Do I need to send it back? It is a little thing , but when you pay for a JTV-US, you kind of expect a case that functions.

1) A VDI a cable is not included with a Variax. It is purchased separately because it is only required to connect Variax guitars to compatible Line 6 equipment, which not everyone has. It’s useless to many (most?) Variax users. If you need one, buy or build a proper one (shielded at both ends). Don’t use a regular CAT5 cable.

2) Get the buzz fixed with a proper setup. It will play havoc with the modeling.

3) I didn’t know the JTV US comes with a case. The regular JTVs come with a gig bag. Open a support ticket.

• 2 weeks later...

Learning my Variax little by little. Strat sounds suck for sure but I wanted one for reasons other than the Strat. I do have a question about the model knob…..is it normal for it to be difficult to engage? My tuning knob is no problem. The model knob doesn’t really work if I just push it in. I have to use the palm of my hand and give it a pretty good pop to engage it. Is there a way to soften it some? I live in Montana and I really don’t want to send the guitar back to a tech person.

I’m surprised to hear that a US manufactured JTV has the model knob engagement issue. That’s not uncommon with the Korean models. Essentially the knob touches the edge of the cutout when it’s depressed. In extreme cases the modeling can’t be engaged at all.

The DIY fix is simple. Use levers such as small headed screwdrivers to lift the knob up and off the shaft (protect the guitar body with a cloth). Put a small bit of paper into the knob so that it will raise the knob on the shaft, then press the knob back onto the shaft.

On 3/31/2022 at 4:53 PM, rwinking said:

Will a DIY repair like this void the warranty? I am concerned about bending something in there. Will I hurt anything by popping it with my palm or should I send it on back?

On 3/31/2022 at 4:57 PM, psarkissian said:

Yes it will void any warranty.

I didn’t know that would void the warranty. Send it back. Shouldn’t be that way, especially with a US version.

Agreed.

It could two things,... one of which only I the the guy who builds the US ones, knows how to do and have done it.

If it's just a knob issue, straight forward enough, if the other, then I'll have to deal with that issue.

Silver,... my set-up is expanded some since you were here last, you'd like it.

• 2 weeks later...

I sent the JTV-US back and can't wait to get it back as I have been enjpying it a lot. I also heard what I have come to find out is called "Clang tone" ona  lot of the models. It is a weird hollow kind of sound that I could not eq out.I don't know if this is common or not, but it is much worse when using a tube amp. Using the models with Native and through headphones it sounds a lot better. Unfortunately, playing live, I use amps. Even if I were to use and amp model through an amp, it has that weird yang or clang to it.

Anyone have experience with this?

• 1 month later...

I had no idea that you did this. You did a great job!

I'm still thinking about swapping the pickups out. Dimarzio is giving me some Paul Gilbert mini humbuckers to try and I think given the specs you had mentioned in another post these should be perfect. The P90s are really nice but single coils have a hum by nature and it just gets to me when I play with a bit of volume. I have tried everything over the years, and it doesn't seem to matter whether it is my strat, tele or now the JTV-US....they do what P90s do.

Anyway, thanks for all of your help!

rick