Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Guitar > CPU/Helix Native

themetallikid

So, for the sake of keeping my apartment 'cleaner' in appearance between gigs etc, as well as getting a smaller desk to work with between gigs.  I'm considering getting Helix Native to eliminate having to fit my pedalboard under my desk and also keep cables all around.  

OK, so help a newb out with this thing.

1) purchase Helix Native

2) I need some sort of interface to go from 1/4">USB correct?  Suggestions?   

So my questions pertain more to #2:

1) Guitar > interface > CPU seems pretty obvious.   Do the interfaces offer Headphone Out's?  Or would I get my audio then from the Laptop Headphone Jack?  

2) Any other things to consider in this situation?

1) Of course, your existing Helix device will work as an interface but I assume you want a small desktop interface. Many manufacturers make such devices, and anything that your PC DAW recognizes will do. The smallest Line 6 offering was the POD Studio GX/UX series but I don’t see those in the Products list anymore. Apparently they are now Legacy products but you could probably get a used one at a good price. In any case I think you’d be better off getting an interface with a headphones output; probably better sound quality than a regular computer’s soundcard unless you have a special gaming soundcard. Google your options.

2) Two things here. First, Helix Native operates as a plug-in to a DAW (VST3 or AAX) so you’ll need a DAW (audio recording program) that accepts one of those formats; most do. Secondly, I presume you’ll want to hear the Helix Native effects in real time as you are playing. There will necessarily be some latency because Native needs to process the incoming guitar signal after you hit the strings and before the sound reaches your ears. You’ll need a computer powerful enough to support that without the latency becoming a hindrance to your playing. Again, unless your computer is really old it should be able to handle this though you may need to configure it differently than the default values (e.g. buffer size).

I have a pretty minimal laptop, its about 4 years old.  I run a version of a recording program, for the life of me I can't remember the name of it (at work currently) but I'm pretty sure it starts with an A and is somewhat popular, lol.  ....Not sure if that would work.  

All I'm looking to do is practice with Spotify, and create presets like I do with my Helix.  I dont record at all really....  So looking for something to allow minimal footprint at home.  My Helix sits on my pedalboard which is about 30"x 18" and the desk I need to cover that is a bit excessive for what I need desk space wise (desktop).    Thought maybe getting Native and a device to recreate what Helix is doing from an I/O perspective would be enough....maybe I'm misunderstanding and its not the most $$ economical????

You just need an audio interface with solid drivers and you should be fine. You could even run Native in a VST Host instead a DAW, saving A LOT of DPC calls and CPU Cycles.

There are hundreds of options in the market, but imho a Scarlett Solo or a Duo (2nd or third gen) is more than good to play with an acceptable low latency. I mean, Im doing that in a 10 years old Samsung Laptop, optimized for DAW, and it just works fine. And yes, you have dedicated headphones out.

• Upvote 4

On 3/23/2022 at 3:49 PM, PierM said:

You just need an audio interface with solid drivers and you should be fine. You could even run Native in a VST Host instead a DAW, saving A LOT of DPC calls and CPU Cycles.

There are hundreds of options in the market, but imho a Scarlett Solo or a Duo (2nd or third gen) is more than good to play with an acceptable low latency. I mean, Im doing that in a 10 years old Samsung Laptop, optimized for DAW, and it just works fine. And yes, you have dedicated headphones out.

The age of your laptop is not really relevant, and 4 years is not old for this application. An i5 with 8gb should be sufficient. Even an i3 might work.

The main thing to consider is that latency is dependent on sample rate, which is largely processor dependent. the maximum I've found playable is 128spls. that should get you <>10ms, the amount that is the border for most people to detect. More than that you won't like. If you hear pops/crackles/dropouts you need a higher sample rate (more latency) or a better computer.

Scarlett Solo or Duo, 2nd or third gen as PierM said. Behringer makes even cheaper (nearly) identical AIs (Euphoria). They're called Euphoria because that's how Uli feels when he looks at his bank account, bloated from pirating other companies designs. Just sayin'.

VERY IMPORTANT!!! PierM mentioned that his laptop is optimized for use with a DAW. Just about every AI mfr has a section on their website dedicated to optimizing your PC for audio. I think L6 has a page about it in FAQs. DO IT! It'll save you posting here about how it doesn't work right.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I've been doing what you are proposing to do for about a year now. It's rare that when I'm at home  that I actually pull out my Helix(LT) hardware.  Helix Native is my bedroom amplifier.  Helix LT now is for jamming with friends and playing gigs. 

I'm using the Focusrite Scarlett Solo and it does a decent job. My latency is low enough that I feel comfortable with it. As others have said, there are a number of things to do to optimize your system for low latency. I usually run Native in Reaper. I'm not much into recording but if I get an idea or cool riff I think is worth saving I can punch record and export said riff/idea. I also use Reapers click for practicing. 

Currently I'm using an 8th Gen i5 processor and have 16GB ram, but prior to that I ran it on an older machine with much lower specs(older i3 w/ 8GB ram). Main difference is now I can "noodle" on the guitar while doing other internet related things. On my old system it ran fine so long as I wasn't trying to heavily multi-task. 

I also use it to create patches that I use on my LT. My monitoring system is a little different so I still have to tweak the patches after I've transferred them, but I've gotten pretty proficient at it. 

Honestly, this has become one of my favorite aspects of HX. 

As for the optimization, which is FOUNDAMENTAL for live/low latency, I do suggest this free "Glitch Free" pdf guide (there is advanced stuff but also things for starters)

https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/glitchfree/

Also this tool, is the bible to checking low latency / realtime audio performance (all free stuff);

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

• Upvote 2

On 3/24/2022 at 2:46 AM, pierpatrip said:

Please, could someone help me launching Helix native in Cakewalk so I can play through my scarlett solo? I see helix native plugin in cakewalk right window but I don't know how open it and play through. Thanks!

First you need to have Cakewalk recognize your interface. Choose Edit > Preferences. Under Audio, Playback and Recording, choose ASIO as the driver mode. Then go to Audio, Devices and check the inputs and outputs you want to use. If you're not sure, just check anything that's not grayed out. Audio, Driver Settings has several useful options, like setting the Sample Rate and latency amount. However, you should also see a button that says ASIO Panel. Clicking this will call up your interface's application for adjusting particular interface settings.

Now that Cakewalk hopefully knows how to talk to your interface, create a track.

image.png.b98bcf33aaa7140ae07bf2b596d9537a.png

From the browser, drag Helix Native into the effects bin (or click on the FX bin + sign and navigate to it in your list of plug-ins). Then, set the input to the input you're using on your audio interface for your guitar.

Finally, check the little box outlined in red. This enables input monitoring so you hear your guitar through Helix Native, instead of just hearing the dry guitar at your interface input.

Hope this helps...!

• Upvote 3

On 3/24/2022 at 1:46 AM, pierpatrip said:

Please, could someone help me launching Helix native in Cakewalk so I can play through my scarlett solo? I see helix native plugin in cakewalk right window but I don't know how open it and play through. Thanks!

Insert an Audio track.

Expand the track so that you can see the FX Rack.

Drag Native to the FX Rack.

On 3/24/2022 at 12:23 PM, themetallikid said:

Forgot in my quick madness of thought that I'd need to control Native somehow as well.  $450, plus an expression pedal ($130) and I might as well just buy a home helix as a backup and home version.  

If you have a registered Helix (any flavor), Helix Native is currently on sale for $69.99 from Line 6 or Sweetwater.

Right, I get that. 

But....

Helix Control $450

Interface $100 (at most?)

Expression pedal $130 (I like Mission Engineering)

New Desk to minimize practice footprint $80ish

I'm at $760 for an 'economical' practice solution to just not wanting to haul my pedalboard and open it up and plug in 3 cords. lol.    I'm wanting to be lazier/efficient, but thats pricey for me.