Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

It begins! My first Line 6 HX family unit...

MayPRS

Just brought home a lonely HX Effects yesterday. Just opened the box but didn't connect anything yet.

The size factor together with the fact that I don't need amp simulation, just made me decide for one of these. I have a G-System and oh my god this is much lighter and smaller! :)

My first EVER Line6 unit so.... pointers? Start with upgrade to latest firmware should be the first step right? Oh and RTFM, I know.. I know.. :)

Can't wait to start using it live. :)

On 3/24/2022 at 6:31 AM, stratgilmour said:

…. Start with upgrade to latest firmware should be the first step right? …

Yes. Begin by downloading and installing all components of the HX Edit v3.15 package. Then follow the instructions!!

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 6:44 PM, stratgilmour said:

Quick question: using an IR, would it be possible to use it on a rehearsal without an amp? Or even at a live gig in case of amp failure? Or do I need a preamp pedal of some sort to pull this?

Many thanks!

You'd still need an "amp box pedal" to do something like that, otherwise IRs alone arent helpful for an electric guitar. It would sound fizzy and harsh.

• Upvote 2

On 3/24/2022 at 6:18 PM, PierM said:

You'd still need an "amp box pedal" to do something like that, otherwise IRs alone arent helpful for an electric guitar. I would sound fizzy and harsh.

Yeah what I thought exactly. I do have an AMT V-1 which is great for this purpose (it also haves FX Loop, which will enable 4 CM I think).

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

On 3/24/2022 at 7:46 PM, stratgilmour said:

Yeah what I thought exactly. I do have an AMT V-1 which is great for this purpose (it also haves FX Loop, which will enable 4 CM I think).

Thanks!

Cool, then it's gonna work. Just turn off the Cab sim on the AMT and you are good to go! 

• Upvote 1

So.... I'm amazed! I started on Saturday and I almost have the HX Effects ready to gig - it took me WEEKS on the G-System to achieve this level!

It's so easy to configure snapshots, copy blocks, etc etc. I connected in 4 CM and the sound is clear - such clarity I never experienced on my G-System (3 CM), the amp just opened up, it's the sound/tone I remember connected directly to amp!

The "Noise Gate" block is amazing - I needed a ISP Decimator G-String to use with my TB and now I can ditched it. The HX Noise Gate doesn't suck tone at all and it just WORKS!

Also the Bypass/Controllers for the snapshot works great. 

A question: one little thing that I would love is - when scrolling thru banks and select a "Preset" I would like to have the "Snapshot" layout automatically loaded. It's not possible right? I have to select the "Preset" and then do Bank UP + Bank DOWN to enter Snapshot mode...

Other than this - it's so intuitive. Remember I use TC Electronic stuff for over 15 years! Never used Line 6 and have this unit almost ready in two days just amazes me!! Oh and another thing: I was afraid Delays and Harmonies won't sound as good as TC... it sounds, at least, JUST AS GOOD (I won't say BETTER but at least JUST AS GOOD which for me its amazing and serves my purposes!).

On 3/24/2022 at 12:44 PM, MayPRS said:

Quick question: using an IR, would it be possible to use it on a rehearsal without an amp? Or even at a live gig in case of amp failure? Or do I need a preamp pedal of some sort to pull this?

Helix HX has a ton of distortion effects. You can dial one of those in to be more amp-like, then use the parametric EQ to shape a cabinet-like response (roll off highs, upper mid boost, etc.). The sound won't be exactly like any particular amp, but for rehearsals and even for performance, it will do the job. I even have some presets like that in my Helix floor for some alternative amp sounds.

On 3/28/2022 at 3:55 AM, MayPRS said:

A question: one little thing that I would love is - when scrolling thru banks and select a "Preset" I would like to have the "Snapshot" layout automatically loaded. It's not possible right? I have to select the "Preset" and then do Bank UP + Bank DOWN to enter Snapshot mode...

1) Press the Menu Button

2) Press Knob 6 to select Global Settings

3) Use 4-way knob to navigate and highlight the Footswitches icon

4) Rotate Knob 2: Preset Mode Switches and select 8 Snapshots

RESULTS:

This will display all 8 Snapshots on the center footswitches, and also display Bank Up Bank Down as well as Mode and Tap/Tuner. If you now press the Bank Up or Bank Down footswitch, you will be able to select a new preset from those center footswitches and then the center footswitches will return to displaying Snapshots 1-8.

On 3/28/2022 at 5:06 PM, j_hotch said:

1) Press the Menu Button

2) Press Knob 6 to select Global Settings

3) Use 4-way knob to navigate and highlight the Footswitches icon

4) Rotate Knob 2: Preset Mode Switches and select 8 Snapshots

RESULTS:

This will display all 8 Snapshots on the center footswitches, and also display Bank Up Bank Down as well as Mode and Tap/Tuner. If you now press the Bank Up or Bank Down footswitch, you will be able to select a new preset from those center footswitches and then the center footswitches will return to displaying Snapshots 1-8.

I have a HX Effects... I think that only work on Helix right?