Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix midi control of Strymon big sky

ichasedx

Helo to all,

I'm sorry for asking such a basic question for you MIDI experts. My first attempt at linking my new Strymon Big Sky pedal to my Helix has so far, been a few hours of cursing at everything, including my cats! I've watched videos which tirelessly explore every detail... I just want the ^($@": thing working!!! sorry... maybe too much caffeine too! Is there a quick tutorial available? Any suggestions on the easiest quickest route to success? 

I appreciate your help, I have a gig in 6 hours and would love to use it!

Mike

The quickest easiest way is to put it in the FX Loop and turn it on.

Somehow, I suspect that you had something more complex than that in mind.

Perhaps if you were able to transfer those ideas to my mind, I might be able to help?

Sorry if that comes across as snarky, but if you search this forum you'll find that you're not the first ever to use a Big Sky with Helix.

I'm sure that I've been through this at least once, a long time ago, but it's possible that your desired application could be different.

Or it could have been a different Strymon pedal whose use I addressed, though the details would likely be the same.

Search for "Strymon", then provide details?

And if you have a gig in <6hours, you might want to go with what you know and come back tomorrow for this.

Thanks for the response. Yeah I know the clock it ticking, and I'm a few minutes away from pulling the plug on it until the weekend. Basically I chose the big sky over the smaller version due to it's midi capability. I have the midi in/out cables hooked up correctly. I just want to be able to add the pedal to my signal chain, and control the perimeters via helix. 

Mike

On 3/25/2022 at 1:22 PM, ichasedx said:

Thanks for the response. Yeah I know the clock it ticking, and I'm a few minutes away from pulling the plug on it until the weekend. Basically I chose the big sky over the smaller version due to it's midi capability. I have the midi in/out cables hooked up correctly. I just want to be able to add the pedal to my signal chain, and control the perimeters via helix. 

Mike

When you say control the parameters via the Helix, how much do you want to do? All of the parameters in the BigSky can be controlled by MIDI CC, so you just have to map them to footswitches or expression pedals in the Command Center on the Helix.

I have the BigSky connected to my Rack, but I just recall preset via MIDI by using Instant Commands. I have mapped MIDI CCs to the expression pedals to control specific parameters, too. It’s all relatively straightforward. What’s tripping you up?

On 3/25/2022 at 2:57 PM, phil_m said:

What’s tripping you up?

I think I may have had unrealistic/wrong expectations of what I could accomplish. I thought that through midi I would have access to the pedal in the same fashion I would as if I were selecting a reverb pedal from the helix. I didn't realize that I had to select each individual parameter, and assign it to a f/s or expression pedal. Now I think when I try again, I'll get it... eg. basically just assign a foot switch to control the saved presets on the Strymon, right?  Or, until I familiarize myself with the pedals perimeters , set a f/s to "type" and manually set the pedal until I have achieved some favorite reverbs? I guess I have it now, or at least a better understand of what I can expect.

Thank you so much!

Mike

All of the MIDI CC#s and the method for accessing the presets above 127 using Bank Change messages are detailed on page 23 of the manual.

Bypass is CC#102. If you assign that CC# to a toggling Footswitch that will give you the ability to Bypass the Big Sky.

Or, you can simply (if that's the only device in the FX Loop) assign a normal Bypass to the FX Loop Block. Same thing without MIDI.

You can select different presets within a Helix preset by assigning the PC# to Instant Command 1, with different PC#s saved for each Snapshot.