Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Need Major help.

Cashjamie05

Hello everyone. 

I am new to the Line 6 products.

I've mainly use orange tube products. I've recently decided to get the Helix after my friends consistently talking about how great it is. I bought a few pieces to go along with it but I'm lost. Everything on YouTube doesn't help. This is what I'm working with 

Gator 6u shallow case

Helix rack

Gemini XGA-4000 PowerAmplifier

Livewire 9-Outlet Power Conditioner

Sure guitar wireless system non rack version

2 speaker cables 

2 speakon to 1/4 cable

2 guitar cables 

2x12 cab. 

Like I said I'm very green when it comes to modeling systems. 

Any guidance on how to hook everything up would be greatly appreciated.

Here’s my suggestion for cabling and hookup ( -> = cable)

Guitar with wireless system -> Helix Rack Guitar Input (internal Helix preset processing); Helix Rack 1/4” L/R Outputs -> Gemini Power amp inputs; Gemini Outputs -> 2x12 cab inputs

With this physical setup (using your own physical power amp and cab) your Helix presets will probably sound best if you use the preamp versions of the Helix modeled amps, and avoid using the cab/mic modeling. 

As an alternative you could consider using studio or FRFR monitors/speakers and remove the power amp and cab from your configuration. This would allow you to use the wide variety of Helix cab/mic models or 3rd party IRs as well as the Helix full amp models (including power amp emulation).

• Thanks 1

As above. I would add:

If your cab is stereo, then use both Helix Outs to the amp, and both amp outs to the cab.

If the cab is MONO, use only the Helix L/Mono Out to either one channel of the amp and one amp out to the cab (amp in stereo mode), or, if the speakers can handle it, you can bridge the amp.

As to whether to use Helix preamps or full amp models, the preamps (IMO) sound best when using matching physical power amps. IOW - a Marshall Plexi preamp would sound best into the RETURN of an EL34 power amp; a Voxy preamp would be best into an EL84 amp. You're using essentially a "flat" PA type power amp, so the full amp models might sound best. Try it both ways and use what sounds best.

• Thanks 1

On 3/28/2022 at 12:55 PM, silverhead said:

Here’s my suggestion for cabling and hookup ( -> = cable)

Guitar with wireless system -> Helix Rack Guitar Input -> (internal Helix preset processing); Helix Rack 1/4” L/R Outputs -> Gemini Power amp inputs; Gemini Outputs -> 2x12 cab inputs

With this physical setup (using your own physical power amp and cab) your Helix presets will probably sound best if you use the preamp versions of the Helix modeled amps, and avoid using the cab/mic modeling. 

As an alternative you could consider using studio or FRFR monitors/speakers and remove the power amp and cab from your configuration. This would allow you to use the wide variety of Helix cab/mic models or 3rd party IRs as well as the Helix full amp models (including power amp emulation).

Thank you so much! I really appreciate all the info. 

• Like 1

Here's the three pieces of advice I wish someone had told me when I first got into modeling: 

1. Global Settings make a huge difference. Know how you are going to use the unit, and set it up for it.  

*I don't use the HX products. Do they have the same issues as the HD units (in terms of the global settings)? 

2. To start, use what you know. Meaning, these are virtual replications of physical items. If you used, as example, a Fender Twin and a Dunlop Wah in your previous/physical rig, don't try using a Marshall and Tron Up in your virtual rig. Start by using the virtual Fender Twin and virtual Dunlop Wah. 

3. Modelers aren't designed to give you that same room sound we grew up with in your bedroom. 

Not only can you take a virtual 100 watt 4x12 and turn it up to 10 (which is something that most of us have ever experienced) without blowing out your eardrums and upsetting your parents and neighbors, but also simply because they are adding a mic to the tone you hear. You are getting more of the sound heard on an album or from the pa in a stadium, not the stage sound.

• Upvote 1