Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

A little help or visual layout for blind Helix LT user regarding layout.

HaltingState

Hi. So I've been using the Helix Lt for a few years now but not updated for a while. I don't use particularly fancy fx chains so have been content with patches I've made. However, as looking at doing the update to firmware 3.0 have started experimenting again.

OK get to the questions... I'm a blind user, no useful vision here. Whatt I'd like to know is:

1. On a blank preset, what is the first block that is highlighted? Is it the first FX block or the input block?

I like to have the amp / cab blocks at position 4 / 5. But having difficulty always reliably getting there.

2. Does the cursor pacman. That is if I keep pressing joystick left on a blank preset, top path, will it wrap round to the right end? (Idealy not.)

3. On a blank preset, is it possible to use one of the 8 footswitches to jump to an empty block? If so how, press or hold?

4. When adding favourites, after pressing action and knob 6, to save as a new favourite, do you select the new position with the joystick before pressing knob 6 again? (I don't care about names just how to add new ones.)

Thank you guys.

I may have a couple more after the update...

Here are the results of my observations in response to your specific questions:

1. Every New Preset opens with the Input first FX block for Path 1 active.

2. Unfortunately the cursor does wrap around when you reach the end block in the signal path. For instance, after opening a New Preset if you move the joystick to the left the cursor moves to the Output block of Path 1. At this point moving the joystick to the right returns you to the Input block again.

3. I'm not aware of any way to use the footswitches in this manner. In preset Mode the footswitches behave as prescribed in Global Settings. In Stomp mode all footswitches are inactive until assigned.

4. After pressing Knob 6 to initiate the Add to Favorites operation you have the option to Replace an existing Favorite (Knob 5) or Add a new Favorite (Knob 6 again). You can use the joystick up/down to highlight the Favorite you want to replace, but selecting Add New Favorite always adds it at the end of the list; you can't position it anywhere else in the list at that moment.

Hope this helps, and have fun after the firmware update!

Edited by silverhead
Correction to Q1 information
  • Like 1

A couple of further thoughts...... Of course as a sighted person I am unable to truly put myself in your position in terms of dealing with your bilndness. But I am trying to understand the main hurdles that your post is focused on, and I'm trying to come up with some things that may help in terms of how to use the Helix LT device to handle those hurdles. Apologies in advance if I'm being insensitive because I fully expect that you're already aware of and have been using these things. I doubt that I can offer you anything new, but just in case, here goes....

First, I know that computer systems (unlike Helix) provide some utilities to help manage blindness. For instance, I expect you are using a text-to-speech utility to hear the text I am writing right now. Perhaps there are other utilities that would help you to use the HX Edit program to your advantage. I expect you've already investigated that option fully.

Your questions #2 and #3 indicate that, understandably, it's a problem to locate exactly what block in the signal chain is the current 'active' block. In particular, identifying an empty block can be difficult. Knowing that a New Preset opens on the Input block helps. You will also know that every preset opens in the same state in which it was last Saved.

Here are a couple of hints that may help you  locate yourself. Apologies if you're already using these techniques.

- when wondering whether or not a block is empty you can use the Bypass button. If a block is occupied you will hear a change in the sound. An empty block will result in no audible difference.

- exceptions to the above include the Input and Output blocks; they can't be Bypassed so you won't hear any audible difference when using the Bypass button. So when you are at a block that has no audible difference when Bypassed you can determine whether it is the Output block by rotating Knob 1 - the Pan setting. If you hear the panning change then you have located the Output block and can start counting/moving in either direction.

- for consistency you may want to Save every preset you create or modify with the Input block active. For instance, immediately before Saving any preset use the Output block locator method just described above to navigate to the Output block. Then push the joystick right once to activate the Input block. Then Save the preset. Doing this consistently will ensure that every time you select a different preset, whether a New Preset or an existing custom preset, the Input block is always active as your starting point.

Your Question #4: As stated earlier a new Favorite item  it is always added at the bottom of the list. You can reorder the items in your Favorites list, but not at that moment. After adding it you can cause the Favorites list to be displayed by initiating the action to add a block from the Favorites list. This displays the Favorites list. Pressing the Action button at that point enables some knobs; specifically Knob 3 allows you to reorder the items in the list.

Hope some of this helps.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hey thankyou silverhead.

No apologies necessary :) Your suggestions and confirmations are helpful. I didn't know about the pan option in the output block.

I do indeed use the bypass button particularly after pressing tonestack, to find places to add blocks pre and post amp and cab. Have written out lists of the models of everything so just count clicks to get to my prefered models. A guy off here helped with that when I first got it actually. I just haven't updated it for a couple of years. Found a website that lists the models too.

Actually I thought about using my iPhone to get sighted help but trying to hold it whilst using the controls is a bit tricky...

Unfortunately the helix edit and line6 updater software on Windows isn't really that accessible. I use a screenreader and have to use it's optical character recognition function to discern some text.

I'm having an issue at the moment getting helix to show up with HX Edit, after updating everything, says not connected. I need to troubleshoot that a bit in the next couple of days before trying the update again. But yep, thanks for your thoughts.

On 3/29/2022 at 6:19 AM, silverhead said:

1. Every New Preset opens with the Input block for Path 1 active.

Is that different on the LT? Because on my Floor it's the first FX Block that's highlighted.

• Like 2

On 3/29/2022 at 12:48 PM, rd2rk said:

Is that different on the LT? Because on my Floor it's the first FX Block that's highlighted.

@rd2rk: Thanks for pointing this out. I went back and tested again on my Helix Rack and you are correct. An unedited New Preset opens with the first FX block active (and empty). I was using versions of New Preset that I now remember I was doing some testing with previously. I obviously had Saved them with the Input block active.

Sorry for the confusion, @HaltingState

no problem. Thanks to the tip about the output block having pan on knob1, and level on knob 2 as I've discovered, I've been finding my way round a lot better. Edited some other presets where I had things in the wrong place, like the amp at block 1. Still got to sort the upgrade / connection issue but another day...