Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Move multiple presets, not copy ?

coachz

I can copy presets but I would like to do either of these two operations.

Select a block of presets and drag onto another preset and have it MOVE/overwrite, not copy

Select a block of presets and right click CUT,  then click on another preset and right click Paste and have it MOVE/overwrite, not copy.

Is there a workaround to do this routine task please ?   Thanks guys !

I want to be sure I understand your question. Let’s use an example. Suppose you have presets in Bank 1 and Bank 2, the 4 presets A through D in each Bank. Let’s say the presets in Bank 1 are the ones you want to move, not copy, and have them overwrite the ones in Bank 2. Is that what you want to achieve?

So after this procedure you will have the presets that were previously in Bank 1 now in Bank 2, and the presets that were in Bank 2 are gone, having been overwritten.

My question: Since you wanted to move, not copy, the presets in Bank 1 - what do you now want to see in Bank 1?

I don’t know how to do that in a single operation. But here’s a multi-step procedure using HX Edit:

1. Export the Bank 1 presets to a folder on your computer.

2. Export a Bank of New Presets to a folder.

3. Select the four Bank 1 presets on your computer and drag them into HX Edit using your mouse to drop them at preset 2A.

4. Repeat Step 3 using the New Presets and preset 1A.

Thanks but that's a painful workflow workaround.  I know you mean well and I appreciate your time but this would be a very laborious way to reorder set lists and presets.  I was afraid HX Edit was missing this core functionality.

Well, you asked for a way to do it. There it is. Use it or not- up to you.

… and how is HX Edit supposed to know that you want to overwrite Bank 2 and have New Preset established in Bank 1? What if you wanted to swap Banks 1 and 2? Or have Bank 32 wrap around into Bank 1? or….. whatever other arrangement you (but few others) might think is intuitive?

HX Edit does make a couple of assumptions. It assumes that

- when you drag/drop multiple presets from a folder on your computer it overwrites the presets from the starting point (but warns you beforehand).

- when you drag/drop a preset within the HX Edit window it reorders the presets and deletes nothing.

Beyond that HX Edit’s ‘core functionality’ is to leave you in charge and not make assumptions. Most importantly - it doesn’t delete or overwrite anything without confirmation.

On further thought I think there’s an optimization to the procedure. You can replace Steps  1 and 3 by  drag/dropping  the Bank 1 presets to Bank 2A. I believe that will swap Banks 1 and 2. You will still need Steps 2 and 4.

On 4/1/2022 at 9:37 AM, silverhead said:

Well, you asked for a way to do it. There it is. Use it or not- up to you.

Well, no it isn't. OP says at the start he knows that it can be done that way, but he wants to do it efficiently. Current way is a PITA, I agree.

On 4/1/2022 at 4:09 AM, ju1c3 said:

Well, no it isn't. OP says at the start he knows that it can be done that way, but he wants to do it efficiently. Current way is a PITA, I agree.

Yes, it’s a PITA. I agree.

The OP did not say he knew he could do it that way. He said he knew he could copy presets and was asking for a way to do something different from simply copying presets. He wants a way to reorganize presets. That’s what I gave him. It’s cumbersome because of the underlying assumptions that the HX Edit program would have to make as I outlined. Those assumptions would satisfy him and antagonize many others.

One could make a suggestion using Ideascale that HX Edit provide different options for reorganizing presets. An option to swap blocks of presets, an option to wrap around blocks of presets, an option to move/overwrite and backfill with New Preset, an option to …….  let’s see ….. Take a Bank of presets A through D and move the 4 of them to position A in the following four banks while moving the existing presets in those A positions to backfill the 4 presets being moved in positions A through D. Or no…. backfill the presets being moved with New Preset and simply delete the presets being overwritten. Or, let’s see…. perhaps an option to…. ???

The mechanisms right now are limited and manual because, well who knows how users want to reorganize their presets?

In terms of a Windows standard behavior, I think you are right. Cut should clear the source patch. Copy should leave it in tact. I have been a windows developer since the 90s and that's pretty standard stuff and not difficult to do at all in any language. It's a nice workflow nuance as everyone works differently.

You will have to put in a feature request over on that board where features are managed with the community if you want to try to get it in front of Line 6...I think it's pinned at the top here.

On 4/1/2022 at 9:18 AM, spaceatl said:

In terms of a Windows standard behavior, I think you are right. Cut should clear the source patch. Copy should leave it in tact. …

Fair enough. Seems I haven’t had enough coffee yet……

Anybody wanna fight? :-)

Apologies to coachz and ju1c3 for my belligerence.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/2/2022 at 9:56 AM, coachz said:

I'm stealing that idea.  THANKS!   I had a preset today make a crazy noise through my dsl40cr Marshall and don't want to blow the input stage away.

Well, how do you think I first thought of it? Yes, exactly for that reason :-)