Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

can't reamp HX STOMP

tremolidi

hello!

I updated to 3.15 some weeks ago, kept recording in pro tools first, using a scarlett 2i2, with my stomp. Three days ago, I started the Metallurgy trial, so I attempted to record with it. I could not, I guess because it's the free trial version, so I 'd have to buy it. I could play with the tones though, so I recorded some DI lines and -since I could not reamp with metallurgy- I tried the stomp, with no result ...

I tried the manual's way, two tracks, one DI ( input 5) one wet (input 1). The DI track gets no signal at all while playing (and the wet track works fine)... I also uninstalled metallurgy but still nothing. Using hx stomp as an interface, but input 5 gets no signal.

Help!!!!

Well, first, the trial version of Metallurgy is full-featured, so it should let you record with it just fine.

What DAW are you using? It sounds like perhaps you have some setup issues going on with it.

On 3/31/2022 at 4:17 PM, tremolidi said:

hello!

I updated to 3.15 some weeks ago, kept recording in pro tools first, using a scarlett 2i2, with my stomp. Three days ago, I started the Metallurgy trial, so I attempted to record with it. I could not, I guess because it's the free trial version, so I 'd have to buy it. I could play with the tones though, so I recorded some DI lines and -since I could not reamp with metallurgy- I tried the stomp, with no result ...

I tried the manual's way, two tracks, one DI ( input 5) one wet (input 1). The DI track gets no signal at all while playing (and the wet track works fine)... I also uninstalled metallurgy but still nothing. Using hx stomp as an interface, but input 5 gets no signal.

Help!!!!

You can't reamp through HXS using the USB reamp method (input 5) because you're using the 2i2 as your Audio Interface.

In your HXS preset, split the path right after the Input Block and separate the Output Blocks.

Record Path A with HXS amps/FX in your DAW on Input 1 using the L/Mono Output to the 2i2 Input 1.

Record Path B without HXS amps/FX on input 2 using a TS cable from the HXS SEND to the 2i2 Input 2. This is your DI.

Hurry and get the $69 Native offer.

You'll now be able to PAINLESSLY reamp using the DI track to either Native OR Metallurgy.

Attached is a sample preset.

Wet+DI 2i2.hlx

• Upvote 2

Oh, almost forgot. IIRC, Pro Tools First won't allow you to use 3rd Party Plugins.

I could be wrong about that, but I don't think so.

Screw Avid, get Reaper! Or Cakewalk! Or ANY DAW that won't try to screw you out of your children's inheritance.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/1/2022 at 1:47 AM, phil_m said:

Well, first, the trial version of Metallurgy is full-featured, so it should let you record with it just fine.

What DAW are you using? It sounds like perhaps you have some setup issues going on with it.

hello! sorry it took so long to respond, I was expecting an email notification that someone had left a comment,but did not get one...I'm using protools first.....

On 4/1/2022 at 2:20 AM, rd2rk said:

You can't reamp through HXS using the USB reamp method (input 5) because you're using the 2i2 as your Audio Interface.

In your HXS preset, split the path right after the Input Block and separate the Output Blocks.

Record Path A with HXS amps/FX in your DAW on Input 1 using the L/Mono Output to the 2i2 Input 1.

Record Path B without HXS amps/FX on input 2 using a TS cable from the HXS SEND to the 2i2 Input 2. This is your DI.

Hurry and get the $69 Native offer.

You'll now be able to PAINLESSLY reamp using the DI track to either Native OR Metallurgy.

Attached is a sample preset.

Wet+DI 2i2.hlx 5.66 kB · 0 downloads

I'm using the stomp as an interface (setup-playback engine) , I forgot to mention that when I want to reamp, I change my interface from focusrite to hxs ....unfortunatelly , I have pro tools first... I also forgot to mention that I have recorded DI with the hxs many times before ... the problem started after updating to 3.15. ....I did all previous updates by the time they were released...today I performed a factory reset. Still nothing

On 5/10/2022 at 10:35 AM, tremolidi said:

I'm using the stomp as an interface (setup-playback engine) , I forgot to mention that when I want to reamp, I change my interface from focusrite to hxs ....unfortunatelly , I have pro tools first... I also forgot to mention that I have recorded DI with the hxs many times before ... the problem started after updating to 3.15. ....I did all previous updates by the time they were released...today I performed a factory reset. Still nothing

I just made it to record DI, using your sample preset...thanks a lot!!! I set DI's input to 3 or 4 and it worked ( even though I'm using stomp's send-return as a loop for an eventide and a line boost! )

On 5/10/2022 at 10:55 AM, tremolidi said:

I just made it to record DI, using your sample preset...thanks a lot!!! I set DI's input to 3 or 4 and it worked ( even though I'm using stomp's send-return as a loop for an eventide and a line boost! )

well... still cannot feed the new ,reamped track...

On 5/10/2022 at 8:55 AM, tremolidi said:

On 5/10/2022 at 9:37 AM, tremolidi said:

Hi,

In order to record and re-amp, you need to set up Pro Tools First to capture the processed audio from your HX Stomp on USB input channels 1&2. You need another to simultaneously record the dry unaffected audio on a track feed from USB channel 5.

To re-amp, the DI (dry signal) should be sent out of PT1st from USB channels 5&6 to your HXS. Your Stomp should be set to whatever preset you want to use for the new (re-amped) audio, but the input on the HXS must be set to receive on USB 5&6. The new processed audio is sent out from the Stomp on USB 1&2, back into a track in PTools armed to record on USB 1&2.

I could have saved myself a lot of needless typing here, by simply telling you to read page 56 of the HX Stomp 3.0 Owner’s Manual - DI Recording & Re-Amping.

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a418962611d636e7c51b/application/pdf/HX Stomp 3.0 Owner's Manual - Rev D - English .pdf

It even has coloured diagrams showing the connections.

Hope this helps/makes sense. 

EDIT:

If you want to be informed of response to your post by email, simple click the pale blue “Follow” button at the top or bottom left of this page.

Edited by datacommando
Added comment

On 5/10/2022 at 2:37 AM, tremolidi said:

What does that mean?

You said that you succeeded in recording a DI (unprocessed) track.

If so then you can send the output of that track to a track on which you have your processing plugin (Native, Metallurgy) for re-recording.

That leaves your DI track untouched to re-record as many times as needed.

Which DAW did you wind up using? Or did PT First allow the 3rd Party plugin?

On 5/10/2022 at 4:43 PM, rd2rk said:

What does that mean?

Hi,

I wish I could understand just wtf is going on here.

First he cannot re-amp because of the Scarlett 2i2 patched in along with the HX Stomp. With the Focusrite out of the picture, he says that there is still no audio arriving in ProTools First on USB 5.

In a later post, after a long gap from back in March, he says that the HXS is being used as “an interface (setup-playback engine)”.

Now it appears he can manage to record a DI using USB 3&4 (?), but fails to get it to re-amp. I’m not even sure if “Metallurgy” is still in the equation here.

I have a feeling that something is getting lost in translation somewhere down the line. Totally confusing. It seems to have started after the 3.15 update -Factory reset?

Good luck trying to figure this one out!

• Confused 1

On 5/10/2022 at 4:09 PM, datacommando said:

I have a feeling that something is getting lost in translation somewhere down the line. Totally confusing. It seems to have started after the 3.15 update -Factory reset?

This^.

I THINK I know what's going on, I just hope he gets back before I forget what I think!

• Haha 1

On 5/10/2022 at 1:45 PM, datacommando said:

Hi,

In order to record and re-amp, you need to set up Pro Tools First to capture the processed audio from your HX Stomp on USB input channels 1&2. You need another to simultaneously record the dry unaffected audio on a track feed from USB channel 5.

To re-amp, the DI (dry signal) should be sent out of PT1st from USB channels 5&6 to your HXS. Your Stomp should be set to whatever preset you want to use for the new (re-amped) audio, but the input on the HXS must be set to receive on USB 5&6. The new processed audio is sent out from the Stomp on USB 1&2, back into a track in PTools armed to record on USB 1&2.

I could have saved myself a lot of needless typing here, by simply telling you to read page 56 of the HX Stomp 3.0 Owner’s Manual - DI Recording & Re-Amping.

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a418962611d636e7c51b/application/pdf/HX Stomp 3.0 Owner's Manual - Rev D - English .pdf

EDIT:

If you want to be informed of response to your post by email, simple click the pale blue “Follow” button at the top or bottom left of this page.

Hello! Thanks for all..BUT... I 've been using my hxs for a long time already AND have recorded AND reamped many times, as I mentioned above! I did that by following the manual! After updating to 3.15, could not do this anymore... I performed a factory reset to! Still nothing ....hxs ' output 5-6 sends no signal to my daw...

On 5/10/2022 at 1:45 PM, datacommando said:

Hi,

EDIT:

On 5/10/2022 at 6:43 PM, rd2rk said:

What does that mean?

You said that you succeeded in recording a DI (unprocessed) track.

If so then you can send the output of that track to a track on which you have your processing plugin (Native, Metallurgy) for re-recording.

That leaves your DI track untouched to re-record as many times as needed.

Which DAW did you wind up using? Or did PT First allow the 3rd Party plugin?

Hello! No , pt first still does not allow 3rd party plug-ins. I use my stomp only. I deleted metallurgy. I have  been following all the way the leads of the manual etc, but my stomp's 5-6 out sends NO signal to the daw ( when trying to reamp the DI track, I turn stomp's input to usb, output to 1-2 ,still nothing)

On 5/11/2022 at 1:09 AM, datacommando said:

Hi,

I wish I could understand just wtf is going on here.

First he cannot re-amp because of the Scarlett 2i2 patched in along with the HX Stomp. With the Focusrite out of the picture, he says that there is still no audio arriving in ProTools First on USB 5.

In a later post, after a long gap from back in March, he says that the HXS is being used as “an interface (setup-playback engine)”.

Now it appears he can manage to record a DI using USB 3&4 (?), but fails to get it to re-amp. I’m not even sure if “Metallurgy” is still in the equation here.

Good luck trying to figure this one out!

hi there!

1. never the scarlett was the problem...I said ( first post) that I record on pro tools first with the 2i2...BUT when it comes to reamp, I connect hx stomp via usb and select it to be my recording interface. And I recorded DI many times AND reamped the DI track ....after updating to 3.15 ...could not do this anymore.

2. I managed to record DI with this sample patch ,which rd2rk attached for help. I tried 5-6 usb BUT NO SIGNAL!! Then tried usb 3-4 ,just instead of crushing my desktop or killing somebody...AND IT WORKED!!! And then, tried to reamp the DI track and ...just could not find a way to "feed it" with signal...

On 5/12/2022 at 12:59 AM, tremolidi said:

hi there!

1. never the scarlett was the problem...I said ( first post) that I record on pro tools first with the 2i2...BUT when it comes to reamp, I connect hx stomp via usb and select it to be my recording interface. And I recorded DI many times AND reamped the DI track ....after updating to 3.15 ...could not do this anymore.

2. I managed to record DI with this sample patch ,which rd2rk attached for help. I tried 5-6 usb BUT NO SIGNAL!! Then tried usb 3-4 ,just instead of crushing my desktop or killing somebody...AND IT WORKED!!! And then, tried to reamp the DI track and ...just could not find a way to "feed it" with signal...

3. Forget about metallurgy, I deleted it.

4. I performed a factory reset...still nothing.

5. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I had to re-install PT First because I un-install it every time after I use it to help somebody make something work that works without effort in every other DAW that I own. That's Ableton, Cakewalk, Reaper and Studio One (which I hate ALMOST as much as Pro Tools).

I HATE Pro Tools SO MUCH that I don't even want it on my computer!

OK, now that I've got that off my chest. Sorry if you LOVE it, but...

I could NOT get PT First to record Input 5 or 6. It SEES the inputs but won't accept audio from them.

I had NO PROBLEM recording those inputs in any of the afore-mentioned DAWs.

If you want to open a support ticket with L6, it's possible that it's a known problem with Pro Tools, or maybe just with PT First.

Or maybe your ticket will be the first they've heard of it.

Good Luck!

In the meantime, if getting something done is important, load up one of the FREE DAWs that I mentioned in which re-amping with USB 5/6 (and most everything else that SHOULD be possible in PT First) works without a hitch. You can always export the DI track to PT First if you MUST use THAT DAW.

BIG BONUS! ALL of those other FREE DAWS will allow you to use your 3rd Party plugins!

Again, Good Luck!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/12/2022 at 4:07 AM, rd2rk said:

I had to re-install PT First because I un-install it every time after I use it to help somebody make something work that works without effort in every other DAW that I own. That's Ableton, Cakewalk, Reaper and Studio One (which I hate ALMOST as much as Pro Tools).

I HATE Pro Tools SO MUCH that I don't even want it on my computer!

OK, now that I've got that off my chest. Sorry if you LOVE it, but...

I could NOT get PT First to record Input 5 or 6. It SEES the inputs but won't accept audio from them.

I had NO PROBLEM recording those inputs in any of the afore-mentioned DAWs.

If you want to open a support ticket with L6, it's possible that it's a known problem with Pro Tools, or maybe just with PT First.

Or maybe your ticket will be the first they've heard of it.

Good Luck!

In the meantime, if getting something done is important, load up one of the FREE DAWs that I mentioned in which re-amping with USB 5/6 (and most everything else that SHOULD be possible in PT First) works without a hitch. You can always export the DI track to PT First if you MUST use THAT DAW.

BIG BONUS! ALL of those other FREE DAWS will allow you to use your 3rd Party plugins!

Again, Good Luck!

Thank you very much for all! I remember now that avid released an update for PT1st before a while and I performed that...can't remember if I recorded DI since then, but it could be that ,after this update, the problem with 5-6 inputs showed up

On 5/12/2022 at 11:00 AM, tremolidi said:

Thank you very much for all! I remember now that avid released an update for PT1st before a while and I performed that...can't remember if I recorded DI since then, but it could be that ,after this update, the problem with 5-6 inputs showed up

Hi,

When you have a situation where you were once able to do something perfectly then it suddenly stops working as it did, you have to ask the question - “what changed?”. You will usually find the solution is right there.

To be certain that there is not a fault with your HX Stomp USB hardware or cables, download one of the freely available DAWs and test it, as suggested by “rd2rk” in his post above.

Oh, yeah, I also have to agree that Pro Tools First is truly awful. It’s so bad, that I would never use it, and I even forgot that I still had a copy of it. Logic is my DAW of choice, but like “rd2rk” I also have Reaper, Ableton, GarageBand, Studio One etc., for testing purposes and trouble shooting issues that come up in here.

Edited by datacommando
Typo
  • Upvote 1

On 5/12/2022 at 1:23 PM, datacommando said:

Hi,

When you have a situation where you were once able to do something perfectly then it suddenly stops working as it did, you have to ask the question - “what changed?”. You will usually find the solution is right there.

To be certain that there is not a fault with your HX Stomp USB hardware or cables, download one of the freely available DAWs and test it, as suggested by “rd2rk” in his post above.

Oh, yeah, I also have to agree that Pro Tools First is truly awful. It’s so bad, that I would never use it, and I even forgot that I still had a copy of it. Logic is my DAW of choice, but like “rd2rk” I also have Reaper, Ableton, GarageBand, Studio One etc., for testing purposes and trouble shooting issues that come up in here.

You're absolutely right...thanks!!

• Upvote 1