Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Signal routing with Helix Floor & Pedal Board Help Request

eric-hoffman

Hello Helix Users,

I am hoping someone can help integrate the Helix Floor into my current guitar signal path which is all stomp boxes and an amp. I've attached a diagram that shows how I'm currently set up in my studio to record guitar. The current signal chain is as follows which uses the Boss NS2 to tame some extremely noisy Fuzz/Overdrive pedals (which I can't live without and don't have drop in replacements in the Helix):

Guitar --> Plasma Pedal --> Boss NS2 --> Oil Can Delay Pedal --> Amp Effects Loop Return.

Boss NS2 Return --> Amp Effects Loop Send. Boss NS2 Send --> Overdrive --> Fuzz --> Amp Input

Amp Speaker Out --> Load Box --> Audio Interface --> DAW

What I would like to do is be able to keep this current signal chain pretty much as is but integrate the Helix to use it for effects and cabinet sims and impulse responses. I really like the Helix and I've used it with stomp boxes going into the effects loop but the dirt pedals I use really need a dedicated noise suppressor (as I could never get the ones in the Helix to do any good) and the Boss NS2 does a fine job of it.

Ultimately what would be ideal is if I could have the dirt pedals in an FX Loop block, the delay in another FX Loop Block and my Amp in yet another or something very similar. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Signal Chain.jpg

I don't own an Orange Terror or an NS2, so someone please check me on this...

I think of your current setup as the following blocks:

1. Plasma Pedal
  2. NS2 with [OD >>Fuzz>>Orange Preamp] in the NS2 loop
  3. Oil Can Delay
  4. Power section:  Orange fx return >> Orange Power amp >> Orange Speaker Out >> Loadbox Speaker In 
  5. load box line out >> AI >> DAW

If you want to keep the plasma out of the NS2 loop (per your diagram) and keep the preamp/OD/Fuzz in the NS2 loop (per your diagram):

1. Guitar >> Helix Input
  2. Plasma Loop: Helix Send 1 >> Plasma In >> Plasma Out >> Helix Return 1
  3. NS2 Dirt + Preamp Loop: Helix Send 2 >> NS2 Input >> NS2 Send >> OD >> Fuzz >> Amp Input >> Amp FX Loop Send >> NS2 Return >> NS2 Output >> Helix Return 2
  4. Delay Loop:  Helix Send 3 >> Oil can delay input >> OC delay output >> Helix Return 3
  5. Helix 1/4" output >> Amp FX Loop Return
  6. (optional) Helix XLR Out >> AI

In the setup above your Orange preamp will always color the tone when the dirt loop is engaged.

Alternatively, you can put your Orange preamp in its own loop.  This would allow you to bypass the Orange preamp and use any of the Helix preamps instead.  Or blend the Orange preamp with a helix preamp.  Or put 2 preamps in series.  Lots of possibilities.  However, you will not have noise suppression on your Orange preamp (not sure if that is necessary or not).

1. Guitar >> Helix Input
  2. Plasma Loop:  Helix Send 1 >> Plasma In >> Plasma Out >> Helix Return 1
  3. NS2 Dirt Loop:  Helix Send 2 >> NS2 Input >> NS2 Send >> OD >> Fuzz >> NS2 Return >> NS2 Output >> Helix Return 2
  4. Preamp Loop. Helix Send 3 >> Amp Input >> Amp FX Loop Send >> Helix Return 3
  5. Delay Loop:  Helix Send 4 >> Oil can delay input >> OC delay output >> Helix Return 4
  6. Helix 1/4" output >> Amp FX Loop Return
  7. (optional) Helix XLR Out >> AI

You'll probably (definitely) have to play with the send/return levels.  If you want to use helix to process audio post load box, you could do that as well, but I'm assuming you would do that processing in the DAW. 

Hope this helps.

Thanks kduck. These two options look great. Step 3 in both options you provided that involve the NS2 loop and the Helix loop is what I was having some trouble wrapping my head around. Going to give these both a shot. And yeah, the NS2 is only for my fuzz and overdrives, don't need it for the preamp in the Orange. Appreciate it.